Recomendation on metal detectors

Old December 19th 03, 01:47 AM
Rita_A_Berkowitz

Default Recomendation on metal detectors

Hello,

I'm interested in finding some information and a distributor on the east
coast that sells metal detectors. I want to get my husband one for
Christmas and I'm not sure of what model to get him. Any recommendations
would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rita

Old December 19th 03, 02:37 AM
Art O'Connell

Rita,

You might want to post your question over at alt.treasure.hunting. There are
a lot of very knowledgeable and helpful folks over there.

--
God Bless!
Art

"Rita_A_Berkowitz" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm interested in finding some information and a distributor on the east
coast that sells metal detectors. I want to get my husband one for
Christmas and I'm not sure of what model to get him. Any recommendations
would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rita

---

Old December 19th 03, 05:43 AM
John LeMay

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 20:47:07 -0500, Rita_A_Berkowitz wrote:

Hello,

I'm interested in finding some information and a distributor on the east
coast that sells metal detectors. I want to get my husband one for
Christmas and I'm not sure of what model to get him. Any recommendations
would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rita

Hi Rita,

From what I've seen and heard, this is the place to check out:

http://www.whiteselectronics.com/

I've see the machines first hand at a local store here in NJ and they look
to be solidly built. I haven't used one myself however.

--
John LeMay
kc2kth

Old December 19th 03, 03:18 PM
Bob Gilreath

Rita_A_Berkowitz wrote:
Hello,

I'm interested in finding some information and a distributor on the east
coast that sells metal detectors. I want to get my husband one for
Christmas and I'm not sure of what model to get him. Any recommendations
would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rita

Rita, I use a whites XLT, but its all a matter of preference and how
you learn to use it.

Just like in auto's there are ford and chevy people out there in
metal detecting also.

The XLT was top of the line when I bought mine 5 years ago, and
have enjoyed it. There are many price ranges and models to fit.

It also depends on what he is going to be using it for. some models
are good in salt water some are not, some are good in iron some are not.

Drop over to the the forum listed above and read up some more.

sorry if I cleared things up for you like a small stream in a
flash flood. ;-)

Old December 19th 03, 07:48 PM
Allen McBroom

"Rita_A_Berkowitz" scribed upon the newsgroup scroll
:

I'm interested in finding some information and a distributor on the
east coast that sells metal detectors.

The "Ford/Chevy" analogy is right on the mark. Whites, Fisher,
Garrett, Minelab, or Shadow are all good brands. Avoid the
inexpensive "Treasure Hunter" sold on ebay.
Not knowing exactly where you are on the east coast, I'd suggest you
go to Google, and read the archives of alt.treasure.hunting for
specifics on certain models. Buy direct and local for your first
machine, not over the 'net. All the companies abopve make good
machines. The questions a good dealer would ask would be "what would
your husband be looking for with a MD", (coins, relics, etc), and
what's your price range ($300, $500, etc.). Also, would he need
water proof (for underwater beach looking) or just water resistant?
Tom's Treasures (do a Google search to find him) has a website with
lots of good info. Good wishes to you.

--
Allen McBroom
Remove WOOF when replying by email