Newbie and a question : Cutting mounts for blocks/sheets

Old October 18th 04, 08:57 AM
Klaus Rampelmann

Default Newbie and a question : Cutting mounts for blocks/sheets

Hello to all,

I'm new to this group (although I already asked a couple of
questions). I'm collecting

Germany after WWII to 1979
worldwide Michel-no.1959 (my year of birth)
worldwide issued on Sept.11 (my birthday)
"fancy stamps" like made from wood, metal foils, with scent etc.

There are many more ideas (like X-mas stamps of those countries which
I've been to), it's difficult to set limits :-)

Since about 1 year the Michel catalogue is available online
(subscription), it is searchable with keywords (title and stamp
description). This helps a lot for collection-by-date and topical
collections, but since it does not give all the details and answers
necessary, I will post the corresponding questions here. In return, if
someone has a question the answer to which can be found with a keyword
search in the Michel online catalogue, don't hesitate.

Now to my question about cutting mounts : For my topical collections
I'm using blank album pages with stamp mounts. I need to cut mounts
for big items like blocks, sheets etc., for the biggest I'm buying
mounts of 297x210 mm size and cut them to the size needed. However, I
tried a cutting machine like the one in the pic (see the link), which
has a rotating circular knife, and it produces "corrugated" cuts,
which is not nice in the album. What do you use for cutting mounts of
this size ?

Klaus

http://www.lindner-falzlos.de/shop/images/801.gif
Old October 18th 04, 01:14 PM
Eric Kenneth Bustad

In article ,
Klaus Rampelmann wrote:
Hello to all,

[snip]

Now to my question about cutting mounts : For my topical collections
I'm using blank album pages with stamp mounts. I need to cut mounts
for big items like blocks, sheets etc., for the biggest I'm buying
mounts of 297x210 mm size and cut them to the size needed. However, I
tried a cutting machine like the one in the pic (see the link), which
has a rotating circular knife, and it produces "corrugated" cuts,
which is not nice in the album. What do you use for cutting mounts of
this size ?

I generally just use a pair of scissors, but then I don't have that
many blocks that need mounts of that size and also I tend to use the
clear-back mounts, so minor deviations don't stand out.
--
= Eric Bustad, Norwegian bachelor programmer
Old October 18th 04, 02:07 PM
Stamps4ra

I use a ruler and razor knife.
I cut on top of glass pane or cardboard.
Be very careful to hold ruler firmly so it will not slip.
I have used the standard paper cutter and it works well. (guillotine)

Ralphael, the OLD master
Old October 19th 04, 09:34 PM
Roger Smith

"Klaus Rampelmann" wrote in message
m...
[...]

For smaller width mounts, I find the that cutters sold by Prinz, for
example, work well but for the large mounts such as the size you mention I
also use an office-size guillotine. Do make sure though that when using the
type that you illustrate you should push down firmly on the perspex sheet
that holds the mount in place. I have never found that such a guillotine
produces corrugated cuts so perhaps you are using a faulty technique - for
example you must always slide the cutter across from right to left. I
suggest you practise with cheap plastic sheets until you consistently
produce straight cuts.

Regards, Roger

Old October 20th 04, 07:33 AM
JerryB

Hi,

I have been using a Showgard guillotine cutter for years for smaller
mounts without problems. Also, a long time ago, someone at Showgard
recommended setting the mount width about 3mm wider than the stamp
(measured from perf to perf). When a stamp is inserted into the mount
and centered each side margin is approximately the size of a mount
weld. For large mounts that do not fit the cutter I use a Hawid manual
cutter "kit" which includes a glass ruler and cutting knife (I believe
that this item has been discontinued). There is a line on the glass
ruler that approximates a weld width so that the results are the same
as setting the width 3mm wider than the stamp. Using the manual
cutter does, however, require the stamp to be in the mount so being
careful and methodical is critical. You just set the ruler line on
the stamp edge and cut along the ruler edge.

Another hint from Showgard in use of the guillotine cutter. The
instructions show that the ruler extension is installed at the top of
the cutter. For better handling install the extension at the bottom
of the cutter (why they do not change the instructions is a mystery).
Using the cutter this way just make sure you do not twist the
guillotine knife when cutting. I never used one of the "rotary"
cutters but I assume that twisting is not a problem. Do not cut a
mount with the stamp in it because if you slip you lose a stamp. It
sounds obvious but I have seen someone do this and lose a valuable
stamp.

Another tip, use a damp Q-tip to "wet" the mount glue. Don't lick as
you may put too much water on the mount (besides tasting awful). The
Q-tip works great. Do not use too much water as it may seep around the
edges and into the mount itself. Also do not leave the stamp in the
mount when wetting and attaching. Move the Q-tip from the center of
the mount to a little before an edge or just put "dots" of water on
the mount adhesive. I use both methods, "dots" for smaller mounts and
swiping for larger mounts. If swiping across the entire mount width,
water can seep into the mount and when a mint stamp is inserted it may
leave "spots" on the stamp gum. If water does get into the mount tear
a piece of paper and carefully insert the rough edges into the mount
to soak up the water.

Jerry B

Old October 20th 04, 11:00 AM
Roger Smith

Jerry, what is a Q-tip? I don't think we have anything called that in the
UK.

Regards, Roger

om...

Old October 20th 04, 04:01 PM
TC Blair

"Roger Smith" wrote in message ...
Jerry, what is a Q-tip? I don't think we have anything called that in the
UK.

Regards, Roger

=============================

What does the "Q" in Q-tip stand for?
http://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/13385/300.jpg

According to the history section on the official Q-tips site, the "Q"
stands for quality. But the familiar cotton-tipped swab wasn't always
known by this quirky moniker.

Q-Tips site: http://www.qtips.com/

In 1923, Leo Gerstenzang noticed that his wife had stuck a bit of
cotton on a toothpick and was using it to clean their baby's ears.
Thinking that this jerry-rigged swab might cause some damage to the
kid, Leo designed a safer cotton swab.

He started the Leo Gerstenzang Infant Novelty Company to sell his new
creation, which he dubbed Baby Gays. In 1926, he changed the swab's
name to Q-tip Baby Gays, and eventually the product name was shortened
to just Q-tips. Over time, the brand name has come to stand for any
cotton swab, another example of a propriety eponym like Kleenex or
Xerox.

While Chesebrough-Pond's, the manufacturer of Q-tips, says the "Q" is
for quality, other sources with time to contemplate such conundrums
have drawn their own conclusions. Some speculate that the name derives
from the profile of the swab itself. I'm not so sure about that one.

Blair (TC)
Old October 20th 04, 05:01 PM
Roger Smith

Blair, thanks.

"Cotton buds" in the UK.

Regards, Roger

om...

Old October 20th 04, 06:56 PM
JerryB

Hi Roger,

I would have thought that Q-tip would be generic around the world. In
the UK, and other countries, it may be known as a swab. I have never
been asked to describe one before but here goes. It is a wood, plastic
or cardbard post with a ball of cotton at each end. I found a link
(in Spanish) that shows a picture of them:

http://demo.4homepages.de/details.ph...d=10&l=spanish

You dip the cotton end in water and sort of "wring" it out so that it
is just damp. That way you do not take the chance of water migrating
into the mount. I work with a towel to dry my hands after "wringing"
the end.

In the U.S. you generally find them with the post made of cardboard or
plastic. I do not like those as they are too flexible. Now and again
one finds them with a wood post. When I do I buy a couple of boxes
(100 per box).

I hope this helps.

"JerryB" wrote in message
[...]

Antarctica Note Question (Currency Board Newbie) Shystev99 Paper Money 5 December 1st 04 07:50 PM
Newbie cleaning question Randy Coins 17 June 20th 04 04:56 PM
Dumb question from a Newbie Stu Mac Coins 17 April 30th 04 06:54 AM
NEWBIE QUESTION: Mounting Stamps Rick Corretjer General Discussion 1 April 12th 04 01:33 AM
Newbie question: Vintage pen for everyday use seg Pens & Pencils 6 October 5th 03 05:17 AM