United We Stand Collection Opinions

Old October 28th 03, 02:17 AM
Dave

Dear a,
The only value this will have is if you are totally, hopelessly in love
with them.
Practical evaluation: They will only ever be worth the minimal value
of the metal. In a year or less you'd be lucky to be able to sell them in a
garage sale. The company that sells them to you will not buy them back from
you under any circumstances.
Since there is no indication of the purity of the Silver content (what
is their definition of "pure silver"?), you might be buying anything
substantially worth less than it might be. The Gold plating, worth
essentially nothing itself may well serve to cover the poor quality of the
"silver".
just an opinion, spend you money on something else.
Dave
"a" a@a wrote in message ...
Just curious if anyone has seen or has any comments about the "United We
Stand Collection" at http://unitedwestandcollection.com/ ("25 classic
U.S. stamps preserved forever as flawlessly engraved pure silver ingots,
layered with 24 karat gold")

snipped

Old October 28th 03, 03:26 PM

Thanks for all of the replies. It is clear that noone thinks I could
come close to recouping my costs on this. The primary thing that
grabbed my attention in this set was the FIRST MAN ON THE MOON ingot,
which for many reasons is one of my favorite stamps. I truly appreciate
all of the direct and honest responses... it makes NOT getting this set
despite my interest that much easier.

As a follow up question - is there anyone out there who is collecting
this set that would be interested in selling it in a few years at a
significant discount 8-)

Thanks again for all of the responses!

a wrote:
Just curious if anyone has seen or has any comments about the "United We
Stand Collection" at http://unitedwestandcollection.com/ ("25 classic
U.S. stamps preserved forever as flawlessly engraved pure silver ingots,
layered with 24 karat gold")

It looks cool to me, and the USPS is definitely promoting it... but it's
definitely not a USPS product, just officially licensed by the USPS
(i.e. they are making money off of it).

Since it is rather expensive ($69/mo), my primary curiousity is whether
or not I could ever come close to recouping my costs if I needed the
cash (which is why I like collecting new stamps... fairly easy to recoup
investment).

Also, general thoughts on whether others would collect this including
why/why not would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Old October 28th 03, 03:36 PM
Bob Ingraham

From: a a@a
Newsgroups: rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:26:31 -0600
Subject: United We Stand Collection Opinions

Thanks for all of the replies. It is clear that noone thinks I could
come close to recouping my costs on this. The primary thing that
grabbed my attention in this set was the FIRST MAN ON THE MOON ingot,
which for many reasons is one of my favorite stamps. I truly appreciate
all of the direct and honest responses... it makes NOT getting this set
despite my interest that much easier.

As a follow up question - is there anyone out there who is collecting
this set that would be interested in selling it in a few years at a
significant discount 8-)

*Now* you're thinking like a true collector!

Bob Ingraham

Old October 28th 03, 04:34 PM
John Stone

TC wrote in message . ..
On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 11:00:17 -0600, a a@a wrote:

Just curious if anyone has seen or has any comments about the "United We
Stand Collection" at http://unitedwestandcollection.com/ ("25 classic
U.S. stamps preserved forever as flawlessly engraved pure silver ingots,
layered with 24 karat gold")

It looks cool to me, and the USPS is definitely promoting it... but it's
definitely not a USPS product, just officially licensed by the USPS
(i.e. they are making money off of it).

Since it is rather expensive ($69/mo), my primary curiousity is whether
or not I could ever come close to recouping my costs if I needed the
cash (which is why I like collecting new stamps... fairly easy to recoup
investment).

Also, general thoughts on whether others would collect this including
why/why not would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I doubt you would ever get your money back on this set.
If you want it as a curiousity, fine.
But as an investment--- forget it.

Similar sets were sold in the past. Today they bring a fraction of
original cost.

Blair

Its like Franklin or Danbury mint limited edition figurine things.
Buy it if you have an interest in the subject or for a display item on
the windowsill or whatever. Don't expect to ever get your money back
by reselling it as a collectable thinking there will be a big demand
because it is a "limited edition".
Old October 28th 03, 05:04 PM
Bob Ingraham

From: (John Stone)
Newsgroups: rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Date: 28 Oct 2003 08:34:37 -0800

Its like Franklin or Danbury mint limited edition figurine things.
Buy it if you have an interest in the subject or for a display item on
the windowsill or whatever. Don't expect to ever get your money back
by reselling it as a collectable thinking there will be a big demand
because it is a "limited edition".

Limited Edition: The creation items such as "First Day Covers" or "Patriotic
Medallions" or "Gold Stamps" in such low numbers that they will immediately
become "rare collectibles". In other words, anyone who wishes to buy one can
do so, with the possible exception of a terrorist being held in solitary
confinement in Cuba.

boB

Old October 28th 03, 06:42 PM
Victor Manta

Just a suggestion.

Why not collect real stamps, dedicated to this interesting subject? An
example is shown at:
http://www.marci-postale.com/Romania...d-we-stand.jpg
(one has to search a bit till he finds it in this form)

The art fans will recognize elements of Brancusi sculptures Maiastra (Magic
Bird) and Poarta sarutului (The Kiss Gate).

Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org
Art on Stamps: http://values.ch
Romania Shown by Its Stamps: http://marci-postale.com
Communism on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/Communism/
Spanish Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/
Remove "um" from the e-mail address to reply

Old October 29th 03, 12:43 AM
Albumen

I'll have to 'ditto' most of the other comments on this thread.

But, what's most interesting to me is that a long time ago (1860 or so)
stamps were called 'paper coins'. That was in the days when stamps were an
'also ran' in the coin shops, and dealers were trying to get coin collectors
hooked on the latest fad.

Now it seems we've come full circle and have engraved and gold plated our
stamp designs. Myself, I'd like to see them work in circulation first. Call
them 'metallic stamps' and use them for small change (as the North did with
encased postage stamps in the US Civil War), then I'd consider adding them
to my portfolio of 'investments'.

-a