railway theme

Old November 3rd 03, 06:28 PM
Mark A. Behrens

"Alan & Erin Williams" wrote in message
I'm surprised that no RR image has yet made it to the SQ program.

Alan

Alan,

I wouldn't be surprised if the Utah SQ has a railroad theme..

Mark

Old November 3rd 03, 06:34 PM
Michael E. Marotta

"Punch" wrote
I am looking at railway theme coins, anyone have ideas ...
thanks, new to the game, haven't a clue just like railway type coins.
punch

Canada issued a circulating commemorative 25-cent coin in June 1999.
IN 1999 and 2000, Canada had a series of circulating commemoratives,
the Railroads, Aviation, Native Cultures, etc., among them. The coins
are limited in number (limited to a few millions), they were actually
coins from a country that really exists and they actually circulate as
money today. You might see about find a Proof struck in silver, if
they did that. The Royal Canadian Mint does not actually issue
"Proof" coins for its circulating sets, if I recall their rules
correctly. However, it is a nice coin and a real coin.

Mike M.
Michael E. Marotta
ANA R-162953
Old November 3rd 03, 07:18 PM
Ian

Christian Feldhaus wrote:

"Punch" wrote:

I am looking at railway theme coins,
anyone have ideas what I should look for

One that I like is the Albanian 50 leke coin issued in 1988.
Unfortunately is is BIG (Ø 65 mm!) and fairly expensive :-/ The cute
thing about it is, on either side you see a train coming out of a
tunnel. And that tunnel is ... a hole in the coin.

Christian

That one is neat, and also pretty hard to come by these days! A cheaper
(but not quite so effective) substitute is the 5 leke.

Ian

Old November 3rd 03, 07:47 PM
James Higby

There's also Mexico 5 pesos 1950, KM466, and Canada dollars 1981 and 1986,
KM130 and KM149, respectively.

For a little more money, try Belgium 50 francs 1935, KM106 (French version)
and KM107 (Flemish version).

Old November 4th 03, 03:45 AM
George D

Punch wrote:
I am looking at railway theme coins, anyone have ideas what I should look
for, whats would be:
the best of the best
the most rare,
most unique
most colourful
the sharpest?

thanks, new to the game, haven't a clue just like railway type coins.

punch

If you are into tokens I have here on my desk a Phoenix Street Railway Fare Token I can
forward to you if you email me your snail mail.

--
George D
Phoenix, AZ

"A Native American grandfather was talking to his grandson about how he
felt. He said, I feel as if I have two wolves fighting in my heart. One
wolf is the vengeful, angry, violent one. The other wolf is the loving,
compassionate one. The grandson asked him, Which wolf will win the
fight in your heart? The grandfather answered, The one I feed."

Please use this address to mail me. Or remove the arizona in the link.
Remember there is no Arizona.

ALL emails incoming and outgoing are run thru Norton and AVG anti virus.

Old November 4th 03, 10:11 AM
note.boy

The Isle Of Man are sure to have issued railway coins as they have
covered just about every subject known that might turn a profit for
them. Billy

Old November 4th 03, 10:34 AM
JSTONE9352

If you want to expand beyond coins and
still keep a monetary theme you might
look into the obsolete currency of the
pre civil war era. A great many trains
are on those notes. Take a look in
the obsolete currency section of Ebay.
Old November 4th 03, 11:43 AM
Scottishmoney

"JSTONE9352" wrote in message
If you want to expand beyond coins and
still keep a monetary theme you might
look into the obsolete currency of the
pre civil war era. A great many trains
are on those notes. Take a look in
the obsolete currency section of Ebay.

The South Carolina Railroad $1 bill from ca 1870 is one of my faves. It has
an American 4-4-0 locomotive with the huge smokestack that was typical on
wood burning locos. Frankly during that time railroads were economically
vital to the post war economy so it is just that they would be featured on
banknotes of the era.

Dave

---