Question for a Chemist?

Old November 1st 03, 07:30 AM
Jim

"Dale Hallmark" dalehall.Notthis adds....

My finger was immersed so no evaporation.

Huh?

Acetone or any organic solvent draws heat when it becomes a gas. You simply
sticking your finger into acetone or headfirst bathing with acetone, raises the
temp of the acetone touching your flesh and in so doing, evaporates at the
point of contact, drawing that same heat from your body and making the same
point cool.

But unlike a wet finger held in the wind, it doesn't need open exposure to air
to evaporate. The gas escaped up to the surface where your finger penetrated
the acetone.

Sulfur isn't soluble at all in water, but is "mildly" so in acetone. If you're
asking why your finger felt warm when swirling your finger in an acetone/sulfur
paste, I can only guess that the temp of the acetone was raised by the
mechanical action of the mixing of the two. IOW, there was no chemical reaction
taking place that would have made this warm.

Will it clean your coin? Probably not, but hey, people swear by olive oil, so
who am I to say otherwise?

Always here for my fellow syngraphist or oenophile.
--=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=--
Old November 1st 03, 04:38 PM
Bill Krummel

"Jim" wrote in message

Will it clean your coin? Probably not, but hey, people swear by olive oil,

so
who am I to say otherwise?

You sound like someone who has tried olive oil long ago without any luck.

Over the last several years, I have tried olive oil on dozens of copper
coins, through several oil changes, and with minimal results on a small
percentage of coins. I have seen a few small black chunks of something
loose in the oil and determined that it wasn't dead bugs, so evidently
something that has broke loose fromthe coin.

OTOH, I set this copper token in olive oil and uncovered a deception;

http://showcase.netins.net/web/bills...ns/HTT1837.JPG

I seldom check the coins in the oo, so I do not know how long this token sat
in the oo before the color started bleeding off, but I believe it to be less
than a month, and it maybe that I had checked and discovered the bleeding
within a few days. I do not know how many ways there are to darken a copper
coin and I don't know if oo works for every way a coin can be falsely
colored, but it worked for this one.

Otherwise, I don't think oo is worth the effort. Bill

Old November 1st 03, 04:44 PM
Bill Krummel

"Bill Krummel" wrote in message

"Jim" wrote in message

[...]

By linking to the image, rather than the auction site;

http://tinyurl.com/s8d0 ,

I lost the explanation of the HTT, and the point of my post. The token came
to me much different in appearance, a uniform dark brown. I wasn't
suspicious of the tokens color, but after the color bled off, I do seem to
recall that the brown token did look a little odd. Unfortunately, not being
suspicious, I did not study the token to be able to have a sharp eye for
other colored coppers. Bill

Old November 1st 03, 04:55 PM
Bob Peterson

I have had some success with olive oil on copper coins to get gunk off that
would not otherwise come off. It seems to take a while, but anything that
is just laying on the surface of the coin seems to come off. I don't think
it does anything to tarnish.

Unfortunately, often when the crud comes off, you have a small part of the
coin that is radically different in appearance from the rest of the coin
because the gunk protected that part of the coin from wear.

I did some experiments on some cheap coins once that had something on them.
One was a British penny, I'd say G to VG, pretty worn with some black crud
on the face of it. I tried rinsing it off, soaking in soapy water, alcohol,
acetone, and maybe a few other things to see what would get this stuff off.
Then I soaked it in olive oil for a few months. I was than able to lift the
black gunk off with a toothpick, and to my surprise the patch of coin under
the gunk looked unc, so the gunk must have been there for a long long time.

Old November 1st 03, 11:24 PM
Dale Hallmark

After the half has soaked in the acetone sulpher mixture a day, the Nickel
part shows no change.
The copper part visible on the edge of the coin has turned pure black.
Looks like I have a new pocket piece :-)

Dale

Old November 2nd 03, 11:44 AM
Fred

Question:

I normally (99% of the time) purchase high grade coins for my collection and
rarely need to "curate" them. But, I understand that alot of people use the
Olive Oil treatment and like it. My only question: is how do you get the
residue off the coin without rubbing it off and creating wear?

Fred

Old November 2nd 03, 01:23 PM
Bob Peterson

"Fred" wrote in message
Question:

I normally (99% of the time) purchase high grade coins for my collection

and
rarely need to "curate" them. But, I understand that alot of people use

the
Olive Oil treatment and like it. My only question: is how do you get the
residue off the coin without rubbing it off and creating wear?

The olive oil residure comes off quite well by rinsing most of it off with
hot water followed by another brief soak in alchohol.

Old November 2nd 03, 01:36 PM
Bob Peterson

OTOH - I soaked a coin that had a lot of green crud on it in OO and a fair
amount of the green curd lifted off. It did not make the coin's surface
come back any, but it did do something that made the coin look better and it
did not harm the coin any.

"Jim" wrote in message
"Fred" asks.....

But, I understand that alot of people use the Olive Oil treatment and

like
it.

I would have to say, while politely biting lip and drawing blood, pouring

down
my chin, you are getting the wrong impression. Most people that have tried

it,
find....

1.) Tediously long to show any positive results if at all.

2.) Those results are dubiously negligible if any and could be obtained by
soaking the coin in any other material known to man.

3.) They are stuck dealing with the same question that brought you here.

The
same question that wants to make me reach out and go
AAAAAAAAAARRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH............ !

Listen..........

Olive oil has NO, NONE, ZIP, NADA "curative" or otherwise powers to clean

coin. Never been shown to be "any more effective" than hominy grits,

peanut
butter or especially, a simple soap (not detergent) and warm water soak,
followed by a distilled water rinse.

But don't take my ranting word for it. See the proof from one of RCC's

own.
READ and return to dispel the gospel re olive oil, I implore you.

http://tinyurl.com/tc0u

AAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH......