"Via Brindisi" and the UPU.

Old January 19th 10, 09:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default "Via Brindisi" and the UPU.

With a UK-Aust-UK cynosure.

Postcards were first issued in GB 1st October 1870
Used internally as no agreements for exchange
Formation of UPU 1874 international use of postcards permitted.

The Aussie colonies joined UPU 1st October 1891
but 2 years prior British agreement to exchange postcards.

The postage rate was 2d (through the Mediterranean to Southampton)
or 3d "via Brindisi" across Italy and France.

I wonder how the UPU worked as far as reimbursement for mail handling
through France and Italy? any ideas?
Were the two countries accounted for in the extra 1d charged?
Thanks for any input, and if anyone knows of literature
addressing UK Aust mail routes, it would be appreciated.
rodney

Old January 20th 10, 09:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Jan 19, 4:11*pm, "rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au wrote:
With a UK-Aust-UK cynosure.

Postcards were first issued in GB 1st October 1870
Used internally as no agreements for exchange
Formation of UPU 1874 international use of postcards permitted.

The Aussie colonies joined UPU 1st October 1891
but 2 years prior British agreement to exchange postcards.

The postage rate was 2d (through the Mediterranean to Southampton)
or 3d "via Brindisi" across Italy and France.

I wonder how the UPU worked as far as reimbursement for mail handling
through France and Italy? *any ideas?
Were the two countries accounted for in the extra 1d charged?
Thanks for any input, and if anyone knows of literature
addressing UK Aust mail routes, it would be appreciated.
rodney

Italy. Covered the rail fee from Brindisi to London.
It was a faster service, covering the distance in 2 days.

Blair
Old January 20th 10, 09:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Jan 20, 4:40*pm, "Blair (TC)" wrote:
[...]

The Brindisi route was 6 days faster than the Southampton
(all ship) route.

Old January 21st 10, 12:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Excellent Blair!
thankyou very much.
There must have been tonnes of mail flying hither and thither across France
to/from Aust and the subcontinent, with them apparently missing out on penalties.

Old January 21st 10, 12:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

It is all starting to make sense now,
the only big query left, is to establish the windows where
in times of unrest, the mail detoured "via Marseilles"
rodney
"Blair (TC)"

Old January 21st 10, 05:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Jan 20, 7:11*pm, "rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au wrote:
It is all starting to make sense now,
the only big query left, is to establish the windows where
in times of unrest, the mail detoured "via Marseilles"
rodney
"Blair (TC)"
The Brindisi route was 6 days faster than the Southampton
(all ship) route.

In fact it was the other way around. In 1870
(Franco-Prussian War) the via Marseilles route
was suspended and clients advised to use the
via Brindisi route (which was already in operation).

After the war, Marseilles never regained the
lost mail business, as the Brindisi route had
proven faster.

Blair

Old January 22nd 10, 09:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

The literature on 19th Century India-Europe mail contains mountains of
background on the via Brindisi/Marseilles routings and charges, and of
course the earlier via Suez and Care of Mr Waghorn routings. too. The
India Study Circle's India Post archive is stiff with this sort of
stuff. I shall be a bit pre-occupied with sterner duties for a couple
of months, but if you can wait, I might eventually be able to answer
many questions on the matter - as regards India to Europe, anyway.

Tony
Old January 22nd 10, 11:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Cheers old son,
I guess I should join the India Study Circle really, Tony.
I'd like to read their back issues.
I shall look up their fees, I have been in a "just do it" mood lately,
(even slipped the Ballroom dancing shoes on last week)

As an aside I have boxes of The Ceylon Study group at home, and "Polar Philately"
if anyone here is interested.

BTW the dvd "The adventure in English" had a short metion of "rural rides"
I meant to tell you that before.

Old January 23rd 10, 12:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

On Jan 22, 10:32*pm, "rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au
wrote:
Cheers old son,
I guess I should join the India Study Circle really, Tony.
I'd like to read their back issues.
I shall look up their fees, I have been in a "just do it" mood lately,
(even slipped the Ballroom dancing shoes on last week)

As an aside I have boxes of The Ceylon Study group at home, and "Polar Philately"
if anyone here is interested.

BTW the dvd "The adventure in English" had a short metion of "rural rides"
I meant to tell you that before.

When I last paid my India Study Circle dues, they were £18 I think.
Not cheap, but the archive DVD is well worth the price on its own.

Ballroom shows, Rodney? I hesitate to suggest it, old man, but
perhaps the assistance of a qualified alienist ...

I'm delighted to hear that Cobbett got a guernsey. Strange though,
with all his other obsessions - London, toll pikes, paper money,
turnips, rural depopulation, Lord Castlereagh - I don't think he got
onto the postal system. He must have been a perfect menace to know,
though. Quite, quite mad.

Tony of the Antipathies
Old January 24th 10, 06:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"Asia-translation"
When I last paid my India Study Circle dues, they were £18 I think.
Not cheap, but the archive DVD is well worth the price on its own.

So where am I going to get a cheque for 18 quid?

No mention of an archive DVD, just the permission to download archive *.pdf's
rodney