"Snoeshoe" Thompson article?

Old August 18th 09, 03:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_4_]

Default "Snoeshoe" Thompson article?

My mother, on vacation (holiday), called me today from the grave of
"Snowshoe" Thompson, a famous character in U.S. postal history. I was
trying to recall for her a recent(ish) article in a philatelic
publication -- maybe on the 150th anniversary of his beginning the mail
route, which would have been in 2006 -- but couldn't recall when or where
the article was published. Anyone remember?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowshoe_Thompson -- if you don't know the
story of this fantastic character, check that link. Taking a treacherous
pass through the Sierra Nevada mountains, he sped mail in as little as
two days, traveling on 3m Scandinavian cross-country skis -- the first
recorded cross-country skier in California.

One fascinating story:

"A rescue attributed to him was that of a man trapped in his cabin by
unusually deep snow. Thompson reached him, realized the damage to the
man's legs from frostbite was sufficient to kill him, skied out to get
chloroform, skied back in with it, and saved his patient by performing
the required amputation himself."

I think that is a little beyond the skill-set of most modern-day
California letter carriers. :^)

--
Joshua H. McGee
San Marino, Los Angeles, California, USA, Earth
Old August 18th 09, 04:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Pictormark FYI
http://cjoint.com/data/isfYrhYEUJ.htm

Old August 18th 09, 09:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
jerry

Hi Joshua,

I seem to remember reading the same article. I think it was in Linn's
stamp news. I did a search on Linn's but the results were not
promising.

By the way, how did you do with the APRL and the Australia info?

Jerry B