A very lucky bidder.

Old October 22nd 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

Default A very lucky bidder.

This note, and others he bought at a recent Spink auction, were ALL
undergraded by Spink as he now offers them on ebay at higher grades.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/B245-100-PEPPI...mZ170040994726

Spink graded it as "almost extremely fine" but it's actually "gEF/AU".

The one below Spink graded as "handstamp on reverse otherwise EF" but it's
actually "gEF/AU" with no mention of the hand stamp that can be seen at top
right.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/B245-100-PEPPI...mZ170040993933

I wish that every note I bought at auction turned out to have been
undergraded, what a lucky guy! :-) Billy

Old October 23rd 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
anaana

It seems as if note.boy has already concluded (from his ironic tone)
that this seller has in fact re-graded the notes for profit, and that
the Spink grade must have been accurate.

As a regular buyer at Spink's, though, I must give the seller the
benefit of the doubt, as Spink is just as likely to undergrade notes as
they are to overgrade them: meaning VERY likely.

I must confess I have upgraded many notes I bought at Spink auctions.
But I am not a crook; just a more accurate grader...

anaana

Old October 24th 06, 09:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
noteworthy

There may be a logical explanation for it as well. eBays largest market
is in the US. Even eBay UK items are listed on the .com site as well.
eBay grading tends to be generally higher. Americans often tend to
grade notes higher than other parts of the world because they have a
number of higher grades
i.e.

SUPERB CRISP UNCIRCULATED-67: A nearly flawless Note with perfect
centering. Full wide margins all around. Colors are total bright, crisp
and vibrant. The quality of the note is perfect.

GEM CRISP UNCIRCULATED-65: An almost perfect Note. Better than average
margins. No aging or fading.

VERY CHOICE CRISP UNCIRCULATED-64: A bright Note that's slightly below
Gem quality. margins and color are above average. A Note that may have
slight centering problems.

CHOICE CRISP UNCIRCULATED-63: A nice new Note but not quite Gem.
Centering may be a little off. May show some aging or light counting
smudges or wrinkles.

CRISP UNCIRCULATED-60: No trace of circulation. Can have centering
problems, pin holes, counting smudges, wrinkles, close margins, or a
corner tip fold (not into designs).

ABOUT UNCIRCULATED-50: Almost new. These will be much the same as a new
Note except for a single fold or several corner folds.

EXTREMELY FINE-40: Circulated, may have some folds, sill has some
crispness

Old October 24th 06, 12:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Jerry Marty

Apart from the tape, holes, tears, dirt and folds - a UNC note. :-)

http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoser...47372_full.jpg

Old October 24th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Sibirskmoneta

"Jerry Marty" wrote in message
ups.com...
Apart from the tape, holes, tears, dirt and folds - a UNC note. :-)

http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoser...47372_full.jpg

One I wouldn't mind having nonetheless, a very very rare note.

Old October 24th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

That's just as ridiculous as the MS system for grading coins.

A note is unc or it's not, end of story.

What's all this centering nonsense, can they not print notes correctly? If
not the job should be given to someone else. Billy

oups.com...

Old October 24th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen Linzmayer

Default Note grading

I certainly don't want to see note grading go the way of coin grading, with
so much hair splitting over minor issues.

However, that said, centering is important to some buyers and not all notes
are perfectly centered. For that matter, not all notes are rectangular,
either. When I scan notes, I then straighten and crop the scans. Often there
is a lot of sloppy cutting that results in misshapen notes.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/B245-100-PEPPI...ARE_W0QQitemZ1

Old October 25th 06, 08:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
noteworthy

Yes - extremely rare. It is the only one known of its type and only one
known to remain of the company that issued it.

Old October 25th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

The quality control must be very poor if that's the case.

There's no excuse for turning out notes that are less than perfect, the
technology should ensure perfection. Billy

Old October 26th 06, 05:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen Linzmayer

The windowed security threads cause a lot of puckering that distorts the
shape of notes, but I've seen pretty severely distorted rectangles in notes
without the threads, too. Guess it's simply a matter of getting what you pay
for. Some countries have perfect notes, but often the poorer countries have
to make due with some pretty irregular issues.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/B245-100-PEPPI...-RARE_W0QQitem
Z1
70040994726

Spink graded it as "almost extremely fine" but it's actually "gEF/AU".

The one below Spink graded as "handstamp on reverse otherwise EF" but
it's
actually "gEF/AU" with no mention of the hand stamp that can be seen
at
top
right.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/B245-100-PEPPI...-RARE_W0QQitem
Z1
70040993933

I wish that every note I bought at auction turned out to have been
undergraded, what a lucky guy! :-) Billy

Private bidder auctions Bruce Remick Coins 6 May 29th 06 04:05 AM
sniper ???? Coins 62 November 9th 05 03:14 PM
eBay Bids Revealed! Steve Ruud Coins 5 March 24th 05 09:00 PM
FA: Mattel Lucky Locket Kiddle Brown Hair Doll in case, c. '66 buckeyeweb Dolls 0 July 26th 03 05:30 AM