Advice on War and Peace edition

Old January 3rd 05, 09:32 AM

Default Advice on War and Peace edition

Hello -

I'm looking to purchase a nice edition of War and Peace.

These are the things I am looking for, in order of importance:
1) Multiple volumes - this book is too large to be in a single volume!
2) Ideally a Constance Garnett translation
3) Unabridged
4) Nice hardcover binding, paper, layout, etc.

There are so many editions out there it is hard to know what is a nice
one and what is not. I went to Powells today but they only had some
recent editions that I did not like.

I found a couple of interesting ones on Abebooks:

London, William Heinemann 1904
3 Volumes, Constance Garnett translation
8vo
Sounds perfect, but it's very expensive!

London: The Reprint Society, 1960. Hard Cover. Very Good/Very Good.
Special Edition.
4to - over 9=BE" - 12" tall
Constance Garnett
Ok price, but one volume.

I'm looking to spend something under $100.00. Does anyone have an
edition to recommend?

thanks,
Karl

Old January 3rd 05, 04:09 PM
my-wings

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello -

I'm looking to purchase a nice edition of War and Peace.

These are the things I am looking for, in order of importance:
1) Multiple volumes - this book is too large to be in a single volume!
2) Ideally a Constance Garnett translation
3) Unabridged
4) Nice hardcover binding, paper, layout, etc.

You seem pretty clear about what you want. Maybe you would have good luck
with one of the "want" auctions.

eBay has a new feature called "want it now" which you can access he
http://pages.ebay.com/wantitnow/ From what I can tell, there is no cost to
you to post an auction with a description of what you want, then sellers
offer you links to their auctions that they feel may be a match for you. You
are not obligated to buy.

I think there are a few other sites that offer want lists, but I don't have
any specifics on them.

Alice

--
Book collecting terms illustrated. Occasional books for sale.
http://www.mywingsbooks.com/

Old January 7th 05, 06:17 AM
Helium

I'm looking to purchase a nice edition of War and Peace.

These are the things I am looking for, in order of importance:
1) Multiple volumes - this book is too large to be in a single volume!
2) Ideally a Constance Garnett translation
3) Unabridged
4) Nice hardcover binding, paper, layout, etc.

There are so many editions out there it is hard to know what is a nice
one and what is not. I went to Powells today but they only had some
recent editions that I did not like.

Suggest that you look for W+P published by the Modern Library (n.d. but
probably in the late 1920's/early 30's) in one volume (Giant) and
translated
by Constance Garnett. Found mine at a book sale year's ago in NYC.

Because this was published in a giant edition it is 1146 pages.
The Modern Library, MacMillan, and Heineman seem to have published
Tolstoy and Dotoevsky prior to WW2. You might also look at the
Oxford Univ. Press editions. HTH, He2
p.s. I wouldn't be surprised to find more recent publications
by the same presses of these books; after all they are considered
to be part of the literary canon.
* Remove "-XXX" and "pi." before replying by email. *