Anyone out there a Yearbook collector?

Old December 29th 04, 08:08 PM

Default Anyone out there a Yearbook collector?

I have recently started collecting yearbooks. Our local genealogical
society inputs the students and faculty information into an ever
expanding database.

Old January 4th 05, 12:44 AM
William M. Klimon

wrote in message
oups.com...

I have recently started collecting yearbooks. Our local genealogical
society inputs the students and faculty information into an ever
expanding database.

That sounds like a worthy use. The only other use of them I've heard of is
selling the yearbooks of celebrities ("See J. Lo's junior-year yearbook
picture").

I've actually been hunting for my U.S. Army basic training "yearbook" for a
couple of years now. I didn't buy one at the time (I was just happy to get
out of Ft. Dix), but now I would like to show my kids. During one year I
actually had 7 or 8 "hits" on eBay--by hits I mean finding Ft. Dix basic
training graduation books from the year I was there (1987)--plus 1 or 2 from
1988. Unfortunately, none of them featured my basic training company (A
Co., 4th Bn, 39th Inf.--a rather famous unit in its day, I recall that it
won some unit citations in either World War I or II and Col. David Hackworth
recently memorialized it in his *Steel My Soldiers' Hearts: The Hopeless to
Hardcore Transformation of U.S. Army, 4th Battalion, 39th Infantry, Vietnam*
[2002]). But recently, fewer and fewer Ft. Dix books have been showing up.

William M. Klimon
http://www.catholicbookcollector.com