Am I a collector or not?

Old January 3rd 05, 03:08 AM
Tim Crawford

Theme - stuff that interests me
focus - Printed matter
narrower focus - Books
narrower - Fiction
narrower - Crime Fiction
narrower - crime fiction nominated for an award
narrower - award winning crime fiction
narrower - award wining crime fiction published by Mysterious Press
narrower - award winning crime fiction published by Mysterious Press in
January

At what level does the bunch of stuff become a collection? Personally I
think it is more a state of mind. If you think you might be a collector. You
are.

Tim Crawford

"John A. Stovall" wrote in message
On 2 Jan 2005 15:16:11 -0800,
wrote:

wow. I just showed up to this group and I am shocked and amazed by the
lack of actual discusion. If someone makes a slightly offensive remark
I think it would be better to ignore it than to resopond. Shame on you
all.

Back to the topic:
I think it all depends on how you look at it. I think the deffinition
of a collector is someone who aquires objects of a certain type for the
pleasure of it. I think as long as you shop and bye books because you
enjoy owning them than you are a collector. That is not to say that
you might not be as "refined" or "specialized" a collector as some
people here, but I would call what you have a collection.

I would say you just have a bunch of books. A collection must have a
theme and focus if it doesn't it is a bunch of stuff.

"Les livres font les époques et les nations,
commes les époques et les nations font les livres."

_Mélanges littéraires_
Jean-Jacques Ampère
(1800-1864)