Netherlands Scott #43

Old September 9th 04, 12:32 AM
Alan W. Craft

Default Netherlands Scott #43

Dear Fellow Philatelists,

Within "alt.binaries.pictures.trading"(no need to blush,
as it's utterly empty aside from my upload) I've uploaded a
scan(.jpg format-113 KB) comparing one mint and one used
copy of Netherlands Scott #43, both depicting a young
Queen Wilhelmina from the definitive issue of 1891-94.
The used copy(1898?), being the reason for my posting,
appears to have been printed, not in bright rose as
described within Scott's, but rather in a decidedly pink
shade of ink. However, if one studies the lower left side,
there appears to be evidence of the ink having run or
smeared at some point in time. Questions: if supposed
smear or run occurred after the stamp was printed, then
why didn't the cancellation's blank ink run or smear along
in unison(is the stamp's ink affected by water?)
Conversely, if the run or smear occurred upon printing,
then is it indeed the heretofore undiscovered pink variant...

....THAT WILL BRING ME FAME AND FORTUNE?!!

Alan
Old September 9th 04, 02:59 AM
Rodney

G'day Alan,
How does one navigate to that NG?
I tried an advanced Google search and could only
get your posts to the Bible study/religion Groups.

Old September 9th 04, 03:09 AM
Rodney

Aha, found it by subscribing through OE.
Maybe that's a option for members here to post random scans.

Old September 9th 04, 04:42 AM
Alan W. Craft

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 10:09:22 +0800, "Rodney"
wrote:

Aha, found it by subscribing through OE.
Maybe that's a option for members here to post random scans.

Hello Rodney,

Not at all, as the ability should be universal.
I simply use Agent as my newsreader. I'm very
fortunate in that my ISP here in the Mid-Southern
United States(extreme NW Mississippi) allows for
access to practically every group within Usenet.
Then it is only a simple matter of attaching a file
upon posting. You do have to be within the
group to which the file is being uploaded, of
course, when so doing.

Alan
Old September 9th 04, 07:33 AM
Alan W. Craft

wrote:

Aha, found it by subscribing through OE.
Maybe that's a option for members here to post random scans.

Also, were you able to see the scan?
If not, I might e-mail it to you with your
permission, if you're interested. It's not
too terribly large(113 KB), and I use an
excellent anti-viral software (AntiVir v.6)
in protecting my system, so you would
have no need to worry in that regard.

I'm interested in acquiring as many
opinions possible concerning the used copy.
It has quite the "killer cancel", but with the
pink color readily visible. I don't really think
that it's a variant, though it's not impossible,
either.

Incidentally, the fellows in the astronomy
group(s) have no trouble at all viewing scans
within Usenet, as long as they're uploaded
to the proper group(s), that is, NOT within
text-only newsgroups, like this one.

Alan
Old September 9th 04, 08:20 AM
Rodney

Yes, I saw the scans Alan.
I have no experience with this country,
however I have similar shades within my collection.
My scans were taken with an older scanner
and do not offer an in-depth zoom for closer inspection.
Rgds

Old September 9th 04, 08:44 AM
Rodney

Try as I may, I was unable to decipher
the Netherlands Special Catalogue.
The Red shade is listed minimal price, (#37)
There is also mention of "Karmijnroze tot rosekarmijn"
shade (#37a) at 2.50

I'd hazard a guess at no cruise (or fame) this time.
Lets wait for the experts comments.

Old September 9th 04, 08:59 AM
amesh \(Mette\)

wrote:

Aha, found it by subscribing through OE.
Maybe that's a option for members here to post random scans.

Hello Rodney,

Not at all, as the ability should be universal.

The mentioned newsgroup seems not available in my
newsreader :-(
--
Best regards
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)

Old September 9th 04, 08:33 PM
Alan W. Craft

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 15:44:19 +0800, "Rodney"
wrote:

Try as I may, I was unable to decipher
the Netherlands Special Catalogue.
The Red shade is listed minimal price, (#37)
There is also mention of "Karmijnroze tot rosekarmijn"

"Carmine rose to Rose carmine," I'd say,
but still no mention of pink.

shade (#37a) at 2.50

I'd hazard a guess at no cruise (or fame) this time.

...ditto.