Collecting experience

Old February 28th 10, 08:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

Default Collecting experience

mazorj wrote:
oly wrote:

Perhaps a slabbed Lincoln Cent has a monetary value, but I can't
think of a ultility value. You can't even hardly use it as a
bookmarker, and it sure won't impress women. Maybe it would be
good underneath the leg of an uneven table.

Makes a good screwdriver in a pinch, except for those infernal
Philips thingies.

James the Toolman

File two grooves into one corner and you can drive a #2 Phillips
screw.

I've never seen a Lincoln cent with a corner.

James the Well-Rounded

I meant the slab. You can crack out the Lincoln, which is still worth one
cent, and recycle the slab as described.

Old February 28th 10, 08:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"oly" wrote in message
On Feb 28, 1:40 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
mazorj wrote:
oly wrote:

Perhaps a slabbed Lincoln Cent has a monetary value, but I can't
think of a ultility value. You can't even hardly use it as a
bookmarker, and it sure won't impress women. Maybe it would be
good underneath the leg of an uneven table.

Makes a good screwdriver in a pinch, except for those infernal
Philips thingies.

James the Toolman

File two grooves into one corner and you can drive a #2 Phillips
screw.

I've never seen a Lincoln cent with a corner.

James the Well-Rounded- Hide quoted text -

I rarely see a coroner with a Lincoln cent.

oly
"too much CSI"

I once had a Corona with a stinky scent.

- mazorj
"too much Groucho"

Old February 28th 10, 08:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

mazorj wrote:
oly wrote:

Perhaps a slabbed Lincoln Cent has a monetary value, but I can't
think of a ultility value. You can't even hardly use it as a
bookmarker, and it sure won't impress women. Maybe it would be
good underneath the leg of an uneven table.

Makes a good screwdriver in a pinch, except for those infernal
Philips thingies.

James the Toolman

File two grooves into one corner and you can drive a #2 Phillips
screw.

I've never seen a Lincoln cent with a corner.

James the Well-Rounded- Hide quoted text -

I rarely see a coroner with a Lincoln cent.

oly
"too much CSI"

I once had a Corona with a stinky scent.

- mazorj
"too much Groucho"

By saying the secret word, you have just tied this thread with "Snowy RCC"
and by posting this, I have just made "Collecting Experience" pull ahead by
one.

James the Tiebreaker

Old February 28th 10, 09:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"oly" wrote in message
On Feb 28, 11:45 am, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"Scurvy Dog" wrote in message

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

Bruce Remick wrote:
"tony cooper" wrote in message
m...
On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 00:35:31 -0500, "Richard L. Hall"
wrote:

"Scurvy Dog" wrote in message

"Dr. Richard L. Hall" wrote in message
Those cars were pretty big but the next years were even bigger
especially
the 1957-1960 or so Chrysler cars with the big fins. My father
had a 1957 Plymouth Fury and later a 1960 Desoto. Those fins
made you feel like you could fly.

Cars brands I have owned that no longer exist:
Studebaker (I had a 1950 Commander)
Packard (1953)
Desoto (1957 - I loved that car, had fins and a hemi engine - good
thing gas was 30 cents a gallon then!)
American Motors (1976)
Oldsmobile (1963)
Pontiac (I'm not sure if Pontiac is completely defunct yet though)
(several 1960s models including a Bonneville convertible)

I had a 1963 Pontiac Tempest and I now have a 2009 Saturn Vue both
of which
will be history shortly if they aren't already.

I have a Toyota now. Maybe I'll be history soon.

I've had no qualms about letting my beloved drive a Camry since 1997,
while I was enjoying my Consumer Reports-bashed 1990 Camaro IROC-Z
and 2002 Z28 SS convertibles. I guess we love to live on the brink.

I also enjoyed my years driving a new 1963 Impala, 1966 Corvette,
1967 Olds 442.

The April issue of Consumer Reports, its annual "car" issue, just
arrived yesterday. In it they announce that they have "suspended" any
recommendations of Toyota products. So here I now sit, my garage
fouled
by a Camry and a RAV4 that have lost more of their value than an MS70
CAC Lincoln cent that has been cracked out and circulated.

I seem to recall that, in the 1970's into the early 1980's, Consumer
Reports evaluations and rankings were considered to be the ultimate
Gospel among consumers, especially with cars, appliances, and
electronics. There was no competition. Today, with the wide variety of
first-person product reviews available on the internet, CR has lost
much
of its uniqueness and importance, IMO.

If your Toyota products remain reliable for ten years or so, their
trade-in value likely will be minimal anyway at that point, regardless
of
what CR says about them. But if you are in the habit of trading in
every
few years, the cars might experience a decrease in value, but not
necessarily because of what CR alone says.

My philosophy with cars is buy a decent one and run it into the ground
(or
to 100,000 miles), then do it all over again.
Since I'm retired now, I don't put a lot of mileage on my old Camry, so
may have it for a while yet.

We do the same thing today-- keep a car for 11 or 12 years and 100K miles,
which makes any original "holds its trade-in value" claim pretty much
moot.
The apparent abolishment of "planned obsolescence" in the auto industry
may
have ended up hurting it. When I was first married, most people I knew
would buy a new car with a 3-year loan and then trade it in and buy a new
one when that loan was paid off.- Hide quoted text -

The abandonment of "planned obsolescence" in the auto industry can
hardly be deplored from the standpoint of wastefulness.

Besides, early 1960s car owners had to trade in within a very few
years - the auto bodies weren't treated and painted like they are
today, and a four-year old auto invariably had a ton of rust, a five-
year old auto might easily have "leopard spots".
======

My sentiments exactly. Also, in the 1950's and 60's there were dramatic
body style changes every few years that made one's 3-year-old ride seem even
more "obsolete". Today, the body styles seem to remain essentially the same
a lot longer. Before the 1960's, kids used to carry car parts in the trunk
to replace gears, rear end pins, etc. that would often fail with rough
driving. Knock on wood, I haven't had to use a spare tire in 20 years. 50
years ago, every one of the four tires would likely get a flat during its
lifetime.

I like the older cars much better from a design standpoint, but there's
nothing like reliability, especially today when a headlamp can no longer be
replaced at the local hardware store and instead may cost upwards of $500 as
an "assembly".

Old February 28th 10, 09:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

wrote:

"Scurvy Dog" wrote in message

[...]

I may have it for a while yet.

We do the same thing today-- keep a car for 11 or 12 years and 100K
miles, which makes any original "holds its trade-in value" claim pretty
much moot. The apparent abolishment of "planned obsolescence" in the auto
industry may have ended up hurting it. When I was first married, most
people I knew would buy a new car with a 3-year loan and then trade it in
and buy a new one when that loan was paid off.

I well remember those days. But at some point many started to need 4-year
and even 5-year loans to buy the loaded models that they wanted to step up
to. Buyers noticed that their Detroit models were still crapping out in
the 3rd or 4th year at 70k - 80k miles while many imports not only
required less maintenance, they were still chugging along at well over
100k. Imports started to be attractive for more than their gas mileage.
Detroit finally got the message. My 1995 Dodge Intrepid with 160k is
still getting me from A to B. Its V-6 still will catch rubber and leave
many brand new 4-bangers and family sedans in the dust. I average about
$2k a year in maintenance - which is about four monthly payments on
anything new that I'd want to buy.

Perhaps leasing has become the new route for those who still want a new
car every 2-3 years.

As to oldies, I learned to drive on a ~1950 Chrysler with the "hybrid"
Hydromatic tranny. You used the clutch to shift between R-N-D but in
Drive it shifted automatically. Appropriately, it was battleship gray
because it was built like one. That was replaced by a 1959 Studebaker
station wagon. The shift handle was in the dashboard. The back seat
folded forward and the front seat folded back, giving a flat deck from
dashboard to tailgate. Among other things, it was great for "cheap
sleeping" out on the streets at teen attractions like Ocean City.

When I learned to drive-- we had just traded our 1948 Studebaker on a used
1954 Chevy-- it was specified on one's license (in my state at least) if the
driver was approved only for an automatic transmission car. It was to one's
advantage to learn how to drive a stick and take the test in a stick car.
That way you could legally drive either.

The only thing approaching "exotic" in my garage was a 1979 Toyota Supra.
God, I loved that car! It broke my heart when family needs dictated that
it be replaced with a minivan. For those who don't know, late 1970s
Supras were great little performance cars (to the extent that Japanese
manufacturers made "performance cars"). Then Toyota "went Detroit" on the
Supra and degraded it to a bigger, run-of-the-mill nameplate.

I still haven't forgiven NASCAR for including Toyotas. I'm still looking
for a V-8 option Camry at the dealer. But then for several years, Winston
Cup also was racing GM and Ford models with V8's which were not offered on
the comparable customer models.

Old February 28th 10, 09:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"mazorj" wrote in message

oly wrote:

Perhaps a slabbed Lincoln Cent has a monetary value, but I can't think
of a ultility value. You can't even hardly use it as a bookmarker,
and it sure won't impress women. Maybe it would be good underneath
the leg of an uneven table.

Makes a good screwdriver in a pinch, except for those infernal Philips
thingies.

James the Toolman

File two grooves into one corner and you can drive a #2 Phillips screw.

File spaced notches along one edge and you have a ruler. File one edge in
a sharp saw-tooth pattern. With a little imagination you can turn it into
one of those credit card-sized flat multifunction tools.

- mazorj the Improviser

There must be an option out there that would let a slabbed Lincoln store and
play I-Tunes. A slab fitted with a micro GPS transponder could be sold and
the seller could follow its travels.

Old February 28th 10, 09:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Bruce Remick wrote:
"mazorj" wrote in message

oly wrote:

Perhaps a slabbed Lincoln Cent has a monetary value, but I can't
think of a ultility value. You can't even hardly use it as a
bookmarker, and it sure won't impress women. Maybe it would be
good underneath the leg of an uneven table.

Makes a good screwdriver in a pinch, except for those infernal
Philips thingies.

James the Toolman

File two grooves into one corner and you can drive a #2 Phillips
screw. File spaced notches along one edge and you have a ruler. File one
edge in a sharp saw-tooth pattern. With a little imagination you
can turn it into one of those credit card-sized flat multifunction
tools. - mazorj the Improviser

There must be an option out there that would let a slabbed Lincoln
store and play I-Tunes. A slab fitted with a micro GPS transponder
could be sold and the seller could follow its travels.

At least that way you could tell when it was submitted for re-grading by a
TPG.

James the CAC Phreak

Old February 28th 10, 09:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Feb 28, 3:32*pm, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"mazorj" wrote in message

oly wrote:

Perhaps a slabbed Lincoln Cent has a monetary value, but I can't think
of a ultility value. *You can't even hardly use it as a bookmarker,
and it sure won't impress women. *Maybe it would be good underneath
the leg of an uneven table.

Makes a good screwdriver in a pinch, except for those infernal Philips
thingies.

James the Toolman

File two grooves into one corner and you can drive a #2 Phillips screw.

File spaced notches along one edge and you have a ruler. *File one edge in
a sharp saw-tooth pattern. *With a little imagination you can turn it into
one of those credit card-sized flat multifunction tools.

- mazorj the Improviser

There must be an option out there that would let a slabbed Lincoln store and
play I-Tunes. *A slab fitted with a micro GPS transponder could be sold and
the seller could follow its travels.- Hide quoted text -

Shhhh!!!!!! Shhhh!!!!

The tin-foil hat patrol already knows that there are SECRET
transponders in those TPG slabs, so the federales and the U.N. one-
world goverment will be able to locate and confiscate your valuable
coins when the SHTF!!! Shhhh!!!!!

oly
'Just because you're paranoid DOESN'T mean that they're NOT out to get
you!!!'
Old February 28th 10, 10:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"mazorj" wrote in message

oly wrote:

[...]

Now that would be a killer app! By including a tagged coin in every box or
bag of Mint releases we could build a geo-tagged database that would end
once and for all the controversies about the distribution and current
locations of various coin issues.

Oh, nuts... never mind. This is rcc. Make it "that would give collectors
in underserved areas never-ending fodder to complain about what's not
showing up in their change". :-I

Or... we could play "GPS coin tag," the idea being to document the
coordinates of the non-tagged coin that has traveled the farthest from any
databased GPS location of boxes that coin. Kind of like the contest that
Coca cola had in the 1960s when bottles still has their city of manufacture
stamped on the bottom. Winner was the farthest from your local bottling
plant's location. I think Cairo took the prize in my area - probably
brought in a diplomatic pouch by someone in State Department.

Old February 28th 10, 10:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"mazorj" wrote in message

oly wrote:

[...]

Well, now you've blown it, oly. Up until now we had plausible deniability.
Why don't you just go ahead and reveal that the transponders in those slabs
can be disabled by swiping them across those magnetic gizmos at check-out
counters that unlock the security tags on clothing. Cripes. Nearly a
billion in covert op expenditures goes down the toilet with one UseNet post.

- mazorj, Government Shill #[] number still classified