Collecting experience

Old February 28th 10, 06:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

Default Collecting experience

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 00:35:31 -0500, "Richard L. Hall"
wrote:

"Scurvy Dog" wrote in message

"Dr. Richard L. Hall" wrote in message
Those cars were pretty big but the next years were even bigger especially
the 1957-1960 or so Chrysler cars with the big fins. My father had a
1957 Plymouth Fury and later a 1960 Desoto. Those fins made you feel
like you could fly.

Cars brands I have owned that no longer exist:
Studebaker (I had a 1950 Commander)
Packard (1953)
Desoto (1957 - I loved that car, had fins and a hemi engine - good thing
gas was 30 cents a gallon then!)
American Motors (1976)
Oldsmobile (1963)
Pontiac (I'm not sure if Pontiac is completely defunct yet though)
(several 1960s models including a Bonneville convertible)

I had a 1963 Pontiac Tempest and I now have a 2009 Saturn Vue both of which
will be history shortly if they aren't already.

I have a Toyota now. Maybe I'll be history soon.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old February 28th 10, 02:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

wrote:

"Scurvy Dog" wrote in message

[...]

I've had no qualms about letting my beloved drive a Camry since 1997, while
I was enjoying my Consumer Reports-bashed 1990 Camaro IROC-Z and 2002 Z28 SS
convertibles. I guess we love to live on the brink.

I also enjoyed my years driving a new 1963 Impala, 1966 Corvette, 1967 Olds
442.

Old February 28th 10, 02:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote:

"Scurvy Dog" wrote in message

[...]

The April issue of Consumer Reports, its annual "car" issue, just arrived
yesterday. In it they announce that they have "suspended" any
recommendations of Toyota products. So here I now sit, my garage fouled by
a Camry and a RAV4 that have lost more of their value than an MS70 CAC
Lincoln cent that has been cracked out and circulated.

James the Nouveau-Poor

Old February 28th 10, 03:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Scurvy Dog

wrote:

"Scurvy Dog" wrote in message

[...]

I've got a 17 year-old Camry which has been the most dependable car I've ever
owned.
It's beat up now, with dents everywhere but it keeps right on humming along.
I'd get rid of it but it only has 75,000 miles on it!

Old February 28th 10, 03:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

wrote:

"Scurvy Dog" wrote in message

[...]

I seem to recall that, in the 1970's into the early 1980's, Consumer Reports
evaluations and rankings were considered to be the ultimate Gospel among
consumers, especially with cars, appliances, and electronics. There was no
competition. Today, with the wide variety of first-person product reviews
available on the internet, CR has lost much of its uniqueness and
importance, IMO.

If your Toyota products remain reliable for ten years or so, their trade-in
value likely will be minimal anyway at that point, regardless of what CR
says about them. But if you are in the habit of trading in every few years,
the cars might experience a decrease in value, but not necessarily because
of what CR alone says.

Old February 28th 10, 04:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Scurvy Dog

wrote:

"Scurvy Dog" wrote in message

[...]

My philosophy with cars is buy a decent one and run it into the ground (or to
100,000 miles), then do it all over again.
Since I'm retired now, I don't put a lot of mileage on my old Camry, so I may
have it for a while yet.

Old February 28th 10, 04:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

On Feb 28, 9:43*am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

The April issue of Consumer Reports, its annual "car" issue, just arrived
yesterday. *In it they announce that they have "suspended" any
recommendations of Toyota products. *So here I now sit, my garage fouled by
a Camry and a RAV4 that have lost more of their value than an MS70 CAC
Lincoln cent that has been cracked out and circulated.

James the Nouveau-Poor

CR also trashed my favorite current model car, the Porsche Boxter. No,
I don't have one, but sure would like one!

Jud - Who pronounces it PORSH, not PORSH-AH

Old February 28th 10, 04:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Jud wrote:
On Feb 28, 9:43 am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

The April issue of Consumer Reports, its annual "car" issue, just
arrived yesterday. In it they announce that they have "suspended" any
recommendations of Toyota products. So here I now sit, my garage
fouled by a Camry and a RAV4 that have lost more of their value than
an MS70 CAC Lincoln cent that has been cracked out and circulated.

James the Nouveau-Poor

CR also trashed my favorite current model car, the Porsche Boxter. No,
I don't have one, but sure would like one!

Jud - Who pronounces it PORSH, not PORSH-AH

The one sentence you'll never hear spoken: "That's the banjo player's
Porsche."

James the Picker (and Grinner)

Old February 28th 10, 04:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote:

"Scurvy Dog" wrote in message

[...]

True, and now that everybody here is retired, we'll be keeping those two
vehicles a lot longer than we used to.

James of Suddenly-Reduced Net Worth

Old February 28th 10, 04:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Feb 28, 8:43*am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
Bruce Remick wrote:
.. .
wrote:

"Scurvy Dog" wrote in message

[...]

James the Nouveau-Poor- Hide quoted text -

Of course, there is a "monetary value" AND a "utility" value to the
Toyota vehicles. I doubt that your garage is "fouled".

Isn't it funny how Consumer Report is more on the ball/ more timely
than most of the companies that rate Wall Street bonds and
investments???

Perhaps a slabbed Lincoln Cent has a monetary value, but I can't think
of a ultility value. You can't even hardly use it as a bookmarker,
and it sure won't impress women. Maybe it would be good underneath
the leg of an uneven table.

oly