Collecting experience

Old February 26th 10, 05:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
ImperialCoins

Default Collecting experience

I did not speak to or email Reid concerning any of this and have not
spoken to him for some time. To be blunt, I was bored, got a good
chuckle and decided to reply because I rarely get a good chuckle out
of Usenet.

I remember what Usenet was like back when people actually cared. I
still cant believe how quickly 20 years passes by, but 15-20 years ago
some of the posts to this list would have gotten accounts suspended or
Usenet access restricted at a minimum.

While I have not posted to Usenet for a while, I generally scan the
posts to RCC. Usually I pass over most of the junk, my built in "kill
file". If I recognize a name, I will read the thread. I recognized
Reid's name so I gave it more than the half second I normally would
have.

Reid has one point- his post was on topic. He is also a pretty decent
writer and every once in a while writes something thought provoking,
which is why he has merited an exception rule in my internal kill
file. (Which most of those that post on RCC have managed to join)

One thing that upsets me (upset may be too harsh of a word) is that
all of the flame wars and school yard taunts have caused a number of
knowledgable old timers to leave. Which is a shame, because I have
not found where they have gone to, if they have gone anywhere. I do
not collect US and World anymore, but I certainly found some of the
older threads educational and I miss them.

BTW: I go by Alfred or Alfredo, thanks for pointing it out though.

Alfredo

On Feb 25, 12:56*pm, "mazorj" wrote:
"ImperialCoins" wrote in message

I am not a sock puppet. *Oh wait, why am I bothering to reply to
someone using the handle Scurvy Dog?

Alfred

Okay, Alfredo, you're not a sock puppet. *But given that you have no recent
posting history here except today to weigh in your support for your fellow
collector of ancients Reid Goldsborough, will you swear on a stack of
Good-VF Celtic drachms in front of God and rcc that you're not a crony of
his whom he enlisted as an ally in this food fight? *Judging by the
excellence of your article in the January issue, you're wasting your talents
by dipping your pen into this bottle of vitriol, even as a favor to a
colleague.

On Feb 25, 9:54 am, "Scurvy Dog" wrote:

"ImperialCoins" wrote in message

I almost never post to Usenet, but I have to tip my hat to Reid. He
turned
calling someone stupid into a work of literary art.

Yeah, right.

"How stupid are thee?? Let me count the ways."

How stupid art thou, Mr. Sockpuppet?- Hide quoted text -

Old February 26th 10, 06:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article , "Nick Knight" wrote:
In , on 02/22/2010
at 02:17 AM, in ) said:

bust halves seem as varied as varieties of hi-tops.

But that's what makes them so fun!

Nick
- "378 down, plenty left to find"

(and that's not counting the bogo collection

exactly. too bad both have gotten pricey.

Prices were sky-high for awhile, then seemed to moderate. Maybe my view of
the prices adjusted, sometimes it's hard to say. Perhaps a bit of both. I
only add a few a year, currently spending most of my money on pre-1700
Talers, when I have it.

My target set is NOT the 450 (or is it 453? I can never remember and it's
sort of irrelevant ...) count that would represent a complete set of all
known Bust Half die marraiges. There is a small set of varieties that are
just too far out of my financial league. So, I've adjusted my target set to
be all R1-R5 varieties. I might try and add a single R6, but why go there
if I'm only going to do 1? Hence, to complete my short-set, I "only" need
(looking for me sheet ...) 59 more pieces. Of these, "only" 11 are R4 or
above. It's doable, but there's only a fixed amount of time to "do" it.

A short while back I ended up buying a couple of handfuls of pieces from
another collector. He had promised himself (and his wife) that, once he
turned 60, he'd sell off his collection so that he might still enjoy the
money tucked into the set. That idea has been buzzing inside my head ever
since, although the age could obviously be changed to almost anything.

I had a close call with the notion of selling off a small subset of my
collection last summer. I wanted badly to buy a 1956 Buick Special (yes,
yes, I found it on eBay). I had the money, but barely, and I was a bit
afraid to use cash. So, I floated the idea of selling a dozen or so of my
highest grade pieces. Some fellow collectors talked me out of THAT action,
so I'm now working to beef my cash reserves back up Who knows if selling
my prettiest pieces might have started some of those "enjoy the money now"
thoughts to amplify. For now, they have been subdued! At the same time,
I'm traveling (for pleasure) more and more ...

Anyone else have a plan like that? To liquidate your collection at some
specific point? Perhaps it's not just to enjoy the money instead of passing
it on, but it could also save the inheritors from making mistakes when
selling the lot. Easier for them to spend any leftover cash, eh?

Nick

you still have theat page on the bogs?

It hasn't been updated in quite some time, although it IS on my "to do"
list:

http://www.mr2ice.com/coins/bogos/bogolist.html

Nick

that's ok. it's still fun. there is too little goddam fun in the world.

funny coinkydink, sort of. i was going to sell some of my key walker dupes to
get the correct fenders and tailights for my rapide. there was no way i could
ever buy the whole bike at one foop, so i started with the obvious, i made a
bitsa. the frame and motor numbers don't match, of course. i started with a
set on engine casses in 1983. after an enternity of bike shows, jumbles and
word of mouth, the motor became a runner and a burman box was obtained for
gears.
to the horror of the britsnobs, it was installed in an early honda cb750
frame. hey, egli did it and his bikes are beyond pricey. but by 1990 it was a
runner.
now it's in a real frame, different year but like whatever, dude. it is
becoming all rapide. i now am buying the small really expensive bits. one at a
time and the temptation to sell coins has become like a desert island hunger.
once in a while i feed the obsession with other coins. my bullion coins are
melting like cheap ice cream on a hot day. but i still have the walkers and my
large cents. and my grammy birthday dollars. i would be chased around hell if
i sold those.
when i am tottering on the brink of my dirt nap, the coins will either be
given to a loved one or sold for hookers and flapjacks. sorry, futurama joke.
so my advice is do what hurts least.

Old February 26th 10, 06:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article , "mazorj" wrote:

"Nick Knight" wrote in message
.. .

Anyone else have a plan like that? To liquidate your collection at some
specific point? Perhaps it's not just to enjoy the money instead of
passing
it on, but it could also save the inheritors from making mistakes when
selling the lot. Easier for them to spend any leftover cash, eh?

Nick

Last Will and Testament

"I, mazorj, being of sound mind and nobody's fool, sold off my entire coin
collection and spent every last penny of my heirs' patrimony in pursuit of
wild women, cheap booze, and stinky cigars. Or was it stinky women, wild
booze, and cheap cigars? No matter. I had a blast while it lasted. Nya,
nya. Y'all will have to get off your butts and work for a living now."

- mazorj the Prodigal Parent

Seriously, though, I don't have any pieces worth more much more than a
thousand dollars and the few items I buy annually are in sets of three to
pass on on my three children. I'd rather let them have something that might
spark a later interest in numismatics for them or my grandchildren, than
worry about them getting fleeced by a con man. They've all been well
provided for and they're smart enough to seek trustworthy sources in
determining the values of their specimens in the unlikely event that they'd
rather have the cash.

OTOH, if I outlive my 401k, everything will go on the block to keep me
supplied with fresh cardboard to sleep over steam vents and to feed me from
the pet food aisle. :-I

you made my sides hurt.
gotta love a well thought out future.
Old February 26th 10, 06:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article , "Nick Knight" wrote:
In , on
02/25/2010
at 07:58 PM, Jud said:

I had a close call with the notion of selling off a small subset of my
collection last summer. *I wanted badly to buy a 1956 Buick Special (yes,
yes, I found it on eBay). *I had the money, but barely, and I was a bit
afraid to use cash. *So, I floated the idea of selling a dozen or so of my
highest grade pieces. *Some fellow collectors talked me out of THAT action,
so I'm now working to beef my cash reserves back up *Who knows if selling
my prettiest pieces might have started some of those "enjoy the money now"
thoughts to amplify. *For now, they have been subdued! *At the same time,
I'm traveling (for pleasure) more and more ...

Did you eventually get the Buick?

Yes sir. That's what I meant by "working to beef my cash reserves back up",
although it might also be read that I'm trying to save up for the car.

I hadn't planned on sharing these outside of local friends and family, but I
did bring it up here, eh? The first page is a quick-and-dirty index, and
there are more pictures that you could ever ask for ...

http://www.mr2ice.com/1956Buick/

So, I have my car, but still have all my coins. I haven't been very
successful at restocking the bank account, but I did buy 2 new Talers at the
FUN show in Jan!

(and yes, the transport company DID damage the car, as the pictures show)

Nick

i get 404 errors nick, what i do wrong?
Old February 26th 10, 09:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

ImperialCoins wrote:

[snip]

One thing that upsets me (upset may be too harsh of a word) is that
all of the flame wars and school yard taunts have caused a number of
knowledgable old timers to leave. Which is a shame, because I have
not found where they have gone to, if they have gone anywhere. I do
not collect US and World anymore, but I certainly found some of the
older threads educational and I miss them.

[snip]

One can find ways around flame wars and school yard taunts if he is at all
resourceful, and that includes being emotionally mature enough to handle it.
It's quite another matter to deal with being sued for what one says here,
or, worse yet, being sued for nothing more than being a "member" here. A
search through the archives of this newsgroup will show a distinct line of
demarcation between pre- and post-lawsuit participation by those old-timers
of whom you speak.

James the Historian

Old February 26th 10, 12:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Nick Knight

In , on 02/26/2010
at 06:06 AM, in ) said:

http://www.mr2ice.com/1956Buick/

i get 404 errors nick, what i do wrong?

Apparently so did at least one other. It "works for me" .

No time to mess with it this morning, but I'll look into it this evening.
Well, try this and let me know?:

http://www.mr2ice.com/1956Buick/index.htm

Nick
Old February 26th 10, 01:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jeff R.[_3_]

at 06:06 AM, in ) said:

http://www.mr2ice.com/1956Buick/

i get 404 errors nick, what i do wrong?

Apparently so did at least one other. It "works for me" .

No time to mess with it this morning, but I'll look into it this evening.
Well, try this and let me know?:

http://www.mr2ice.com/1956Buick/index.htm

Nick

Shhhhhhh!
Don't tell Nick his slash is backwards....

(I'm typing ve-w-w-w-wy quietly so I don't wake his kf)

--
Jeff R.

Old February 26th 10, 01:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

at 07:58 PM, Jud said:

[...]

Very nice car! I've always favored the 1956-58 GM cars and salivated over
some unbelievable examples at the latest Barrett-Jackson auction on TV.
Hope you plan to drive and enjoy yours.

Old February 26th 10, 07:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dr. Richard L. Hall[_3_]

at 06:06 AM, in ) said:

http://www.mr2ice.com/1956Buick/

i get 404 errors nick, what i do wrong?

Apparently so did at least one other. It "works for me" .

No time to mess with it this morning, but I'll look into it this evening.
Well, try this and let me know?:

http://www.mr2ice.com/1956Buick/index.htm

Nick

It works for me. Nice car! My oldest bother owned one when I was in high
school. He sold it when he joined the Marines in 1960 or so. My father had a
white 1955 Ford Fairlane that my other older borther juiced up a little bit.
A friend had a 1953 Olds. Cars were really cool back then. Those were the
days.

--
Richard
http://coins.richlh.com/MyCoinLinks.htm

Old February 26th 10, 07:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough[_2_]

On 2/25/2010 6:25 PM, Nick Knight wrote:

For fun, I'm going go find a branch of this thread that remained about
coins. One that I dead-ended, but I should have probably added some info.

This thread was started with the best of intentions. Led by Bruce Remick
with his sage criticisms (as he said, everything I post, even if doesn't
read it, is "fair game" for him), it derailed quickly, at least in part.

The loonybirds jumped in after Remick, with comments repeated over and
over like a neurotic polar bear at the zoo that I'm guilty of the "Right
Man" syndrome, never admitting I'm wrong, when the reality is that I've
admitted mistakes in both fact and conduct here and elsewhere plenty of
times and actually enjoy this process, mostly, not the making of the
mistakes but the feedback that helps me avoid making them in the future,
an integral part of the learning process.

But if someone offers a "correction" or makes a criticism, and there's
nothing factual behind it or what's behind it is factually wrong, I and
anybody has every right to criticize the criticism. That's what I did
here. Bruce Remick's criticisms about my long post were based on
nothing, and all of the subsequent things he said were equally inane,
that I dropped a bomb on this newsgroup, that I should have asked the
group's permission before posting what I did, that I posted this only
because no one at my local coin club listens to me (when I don't belong
to any local coin clubs), that I must post 5,000-word messages in
holiday greeting cards, all the rest. Really stupid stuff just meant or
primarily meant to be disruptive, nothing dealing with the numismatic
substance of what I posted. Even more inance were his attempts to
justify his actions, that he was acting POSITIVE, his caps. You wonder
how people like this are able to dress in the morning all by themselves.

My point: If criticism is fine, and it is, criticism of criticism is
fine too. Am I making a mistake in analyses such as this in a forum such
as this one? Maybe. Maybe not.

But you're right -- a few branches dealing with coins emerged from my
opening post, despite the efforts to derail. And that's Usenet, a big
pile of detritus with a few bright sprouts nudging their way through.

If you ever want to trade that 1956 Buick for a few nice coins, let me
know. I might even throw in a few bogos too. g Actually, a friend of
mine here in the neighborhood, who also happens to be a fellow coin
collector, refurbishes old cars, really old ones, Model Ts and such, in
the back of his driveway. After expressing my admiration for one of
these, he offered to sell it to me. I told him that if I went that route
in addition to the coin stuff my wife would have every right to do me in.

--

Consumer: http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom