(RCSD) Rodney's Perforation Gauge

Old June 16th 09, 07:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
jerry

Default (RCSD) Rodney's Perforation Gauge

Hi Rodney,

I finally found my gauge.

Lindner Australia – click on perforation gauges for pricing
http://www.lindner.com.au/html/stamp...tml#PerfGauges

Gauge Picture
http://sbe.ee/cache/cache_500_1__a60...icjpg.img?2537

The picture shows perforation measuring from the face of the stamp. I
have found that measuring with the stamp face down is better as it is
easier to see the alignment. As you can see the cover can also act as
a watermark fluid tray.

It is more expensive than I thought. I bought mine for $14US when they
first came out at my friend's store. He said he keeps ordering them as
they are popular. You will still need a plastic
gauge for those 'ratty' stamps. I have found that the best gauges are
the ones that have lines instead of 'dots' (Linn's or Stanley
Gibbons). You can get more accuracy and you can always round if
necessary.

Comment on Joshua's use of Ronsonol lighter fluid. I was told many
moons ago to use this product as it has no greasy solvents in it. If
you notice some of the other lighter fluids feel greasy.

Jerry B
Old June 16th 09, 08:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_4_]

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 23:51:25 -0700, jerry wrote:

Comment on Joshua's use of Ronsonol lighter fluid. I was told many moons
ago to use this product as it has no greasy solvents in it.

This is correct. The naptha is almost preternaturally well-distilled:
really far, far cleaner than its intended use requires. I've taken a
cheap stamp and placed it in a watermark tray and completely flooded it
with Ronsonol. I then let the solvent evaporate from the paper (this
takes a *really* long time, which is why it is so good at its second job
as watermarking fluid: enough for you to see the "CA w/ Small Crown"
watermark clearly, go find your camera, clean the lens, install a new
memory chip and new batteries, and *then* photograph the watermark, which
should still be visible.) I then repeated the immersion -- um --
repeatedly (?). I could not detect any solvent in the stamp, once fully
dried, neither by fingertip nor nose, and the watermark tray I use never
develops a slick.

(Also, Shell Oil, you are late sending me my commission check for this
month. :^)

--
Joshua H. McGee
San Marino, Los Angeles, California, USA, Earth
Old June 16th 09, 01:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Marvelous Jerry,
I just realised the link is from Lindner just up the road from where I live.
I'll pop over tommorow to buy one.
The perfotronic is $545 in Perth, too expensive for moi.

"jerry"

Old June 16th 09, 03:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
jerry

Hi Sir F. A.Rien,

It will definitely affectsome early German definitives and stamps on
surface colored paper. I do not know whether Safe Watermark fluid has
the same effects on these stamps. I use my friend's Signoscope
electronic watermark detector for these kinds of stamps.

Jerry B