China Manchukuo.

Old June 14th 09, 09:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

Default China Manchukuo.

Much cheaper to re-work the original master than prepare a whole new
design and plate. Remember that Japan and China officially went to
war in 1937, and by 1944 conditions in Japan were pretty desperate,
and even more so in Manchukuo.

It could well be that the litho printing in 1944 required some
modifications of the original die anyway, to accomodate the different
printing process.

Tony

rodney wrote:
Ta muchly Pete,
It is becoming obvious, I am going to have to ditch the "simplified"
and buy a new Catalogue set (ouch!)

I cannot for the life of me understand why a country "re-draws".
If the plates are worn, why not bring out a new issue?
It seems pointless to re draw an existing design. (well, to me anyhow

"Peter Baumann" wrote in message
rodney schrieb:
These are obviously different stamps.
Were the "china mail" issues redrawn?
http://cjoint.com/data/gnp03JhZSk.htm

Rodney, the left one should be the 1944 issue and the right one the
issue from 1937. As far as I remember, the design had been changed
slightly in 1944 - I realized that for the 20 Fen and 1 Yen design.

Peter
--
No Gates - no Bill!

Old June 14th 09, 12:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Forgive my ignorance,
How does one re-work the original?
are we talking about the die?
....and surely a new plate would be required?

As I see it, any change has to begin with the die,
so where does one save effort?

"Asia-translation"

Old June 14th 09, 12:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

....and how hard is that?
I would compare that to going into a lolly shop, and purchasing a lettuce.

"Blair"
By the way, that last auction had a full
2008 Gibbons catalogue (5 volumes)
that was estimated at $A 220 (about half
of last year's price). There were no bids.

$A 44 per volume is a good price for
a year old catalogue.