How 2 make ink "oilier"

Old January 1st 06, 03:59 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Default How 2 make ink "oilier"

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 18:01:35 -0500, Serge Dasara
wrote:

AFAIC, lubricants (silicone, mineral or vegetable) and a water-based
fluid (ink) will never mix (without an emulsifier) and thus defeat
your purpose.

After trying some mild dish washing detergent, and not getting the
kind of result I was looking for, I added some drops of liquid
vaseline. I'm happy now!

Not to mention that lubricants ease only solid, moving parts, never a
fluid and a solid.

Paper and nib are solids. Simply increased ink flow, is something I
could easily get using any Mont Blanc ink, but that would make the nib
on paper even scratchier.

Why does black flow in the "right" proportion, and is sooooo smooth?

When using silicone gel on a piston, one uses *very, very* little,

I regard silicone as rather too solid, or thick for the intended
application, therefore did not use it.

Regards,
JBR
Old January 1st 06, 04:06 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 04:02:39 GMT, "L, not -L" wrote:

smooth writers. Noodler's American Eel inks are formulated to lubricate
piston fillers and come is several colors.

Unfortunately not brown :-(

Regards,
JBR
Old January 1st 06, 08:52 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

After trying some mild dish washing detergent, and not getting the
kind of result I was looking for, I added some drops of liquid
vaseline. I'm happy now!

You know that Vaseline will harm rubber and materials containing rubber. It
is far from being safe.
Just thought I'd point that out.
Good luck,
Giovanni

Old January 1st 06, 08:54 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Just to add a note, products containing rubber and likely to be damaged when
in contact with Vaseline include some piston seals, most O rings, hard
rubber safety pens and all hard rubber feeds.
Giovanni

Old January 2nd 06, 04:12 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 15:52:14 -0500, "Giovanni Abrate"
wrote:

You know that Vaseline will harm rubber and materials containing rubber. It
is far from being safe.
Just thought I'd point that out.

Hi,

Well, first, thanks for the advice - I was not aware of such effects
of vaseline on ruber.

Still, although,if I'm not mistaken, you have not recommended
dishwashing liquid, I've seen that several times recomended (in Google
groups searchs). Isn't this kind of detergent likelly to dry out any
ruber too?

TIA,
JBR
Old January 2nd 06, 03:31 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Dishwashing liquid (I recommend Palmolive green) is mild and does not affect
rubber the way Vaseline does.
Check online by doing a Google search and you'll see that Palmolive is safe
(although it may cause bacterial growth) while Vaseline will break down the
rubber.
Happy new year,
Giovanni

Old January 2nd 06, 04:08 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 12:48:06 -0500, Serge Dasara wrote:

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 14:39:33 GMT, Nola typed:

one drop of liquid detergent added to the bottle

I'd say one *very small* drop; dip a toothpick very slightly into
your dishwashing liquid, then shake off the excess. Stir the ink with
the toothpick.

Try the ink and repeat only if necessary. You can always add tiny
amounts of a surfactant, but never remove it.

I add one drop of detergent to a 2oz bottle of water, then add drops of
water to the ink until I get what I want.

Old January 2nd 06, 05:54 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 10:31:03 -0500, "Giovanni Abrate"
wrote:

Dishwashing liquid (I recommend Palmolive green) is mild and does not affect
rubber the way Vaseline does.

After your posts, I did remember that non water based solvents may
adversly affect the resistance of some latex birth controls itens ...
so it does make much sense ;-)

I just never thought, before, that vaseline, which you can sometimes
use to treat burn, dehidarated, etc, human skin, could hurt ruber
and/or plastics. Anyway, I used only a few drops in a 50 ml ink bottle
.... :-P

I'm now also considering alternatives to Waterman Havana Brown ink -
see the post "Smoothness of black inks ...".

Best wishes, and thank you for the reminder about vaseline :-) !

JBR