Tombow Ultra - compatible refills?

Old July 8th 04, 04:54 AM
B Fisher

Default Tombow Ultra - compatible refills?

I just bought a Tombow Ultra for its size and grip. Not bad. However, the
refills are dismal (IMHO). The ink is charcoal rather than black, the ink
is very runny (much more so that my FPs). So, I figured I would get a gel
cartridge or swap from another pen I have. Nothing fits. It is much
shorter than other refills.

Does anyone know a compatible refill for this pen?

Thanks

Scott

Old July 16th 04, 07:42 AM
Dave

B Fisher wrote:

I just bought a Tombow Ultra for its size and grip. Not bad. However, the
refills are dismal (IMHO). The ink is charcoal rather than black, the ink
is very runny (much more so that my FPs). So, I figured I would get a gel
cartridge or swap from another pen I have. Nothing fits. It is much
shorter than other refills.

Does anyone know a compatible refill for this pen?

I don't know about this pen, but since no one has answered:

It's a rollerball, isn't it? One solution some people have come up with
for other short rollerballs is to get a nice refill that's too long (but
fits otherwise), and cut the end off. Pilot G2 is a popular gel refill
that fits standard rollerballs - pull out the little plug on the end,
cut some off, put the plug back, try it out.

May not work, but worth a try anyway.

David
Old July 17th 04, 05:01 PM
B Fisher

David,

Thanks for the reply. I actually thought if it but it did not work -
however, you have given me a new twist. In case anyone is thinking of
Tombow, this is the problem:

As David points out, one could cut a G2 to make it the proper length.
However, the Tombow refill has a black plastic sleeve over the part of the
refill that goes from the ink tank to the point. This sleeve
(non-removable), makes that part wider and is required to fit tightly in the
pen. That is, the point end of the pen is wider than most and needs this
sleeve to cover the extra width - else the refill will flop around when
writing. This was my problem. However, the key might be to take the G2,
then cut out the sleeve on the Tombow refill, put in on the G2 and try. I
will try that one. Again the purpose of the exercise is that the Tombow
refills are not very good IMHO (watery, not black enough, small...).

Thanks for the thought, David. The science project continues!

Scott

Old July 17th 04, 06:09 PM
Dave

Scott wrote:

Thanks for the thought, David. The science project continues!

You got the thought on your own! I hope the sleeve trick works - if
they've made a completely non-standard refill, it may be harder to get
anything to match.

Happy hacking!
David