A collecting forum. CollectingBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CollectingBanter forum » Stamps » Marketplace
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Ebay - Yet Another Pet Peeve



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 20th 08, 11:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps,rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace
39Steps
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 16
Default Ebay - Yet Another Pet Peeve

Notice how some stupid sellers set a ridiculously high start bid?

And then they wonder why they absolutely no bids!!

Time for some more pet peeves abou Ebay, what?
Ads
  #2  
Old March 21st 08, 02:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps,rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace
John Mycroft[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 52
Default Ebay - Yet Another Pet Peeve

That doesn't worry me at all - shows their ignorance. Maybe they have taken 100 common stamps, looked em up in Scott, see they
catalog at $30 and assume that $10 is a reasonable start bid. The ones who annoy me are the ones who give a start bid of $1 but
then set a $50 reserve. I wish ebay had a way to exclude unfavourite sellers from every search without my having to set it up for
every search I do. I'd also like to exclude all lots that say RARE!!! and [email protected]@K!!!

Come to think of it, if you start a junk lot at $100 and some idiot bids for it then you've done OK for yourself. And, if nobody
does, then you've blown a listing fee and may learn your lesson.
  #3  
Old March 21st 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps,rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace
39Steps
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 16
Default Ebay - Yet Another Pet Peeve

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 09:34:27 -0400, John Mycroft
wrote:

That doesn't worry me at all - shows their ignorance. Maybe they have taken 100 common stamps, looked em up in Scott, see they
catalog at $30 and assume that $10 is a reasonable start bid. The ones who annoy me are the ones who give a start bid of $1 but
then set a $50 reserve. I wish ebay had a way to exclude unfavourite sellers from every search without my having to set it up for
every search I do.


HOW are you able to filter unfavourable sellers on EbaY?
This is a great idea.

I'd also like to exclude all lots that say RARE!!! and [email protected]@K!!!

Come to think of it, if you start a junk lot at $100 and some idiot bids for it then you've done OK for yourself. And, if nobody
does, then you've blown a listing fee and may learn your lesson.


  #4  
Old March 22nd 08, 08:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace
Joshua McGee[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 476
Default Ebay - Yet Another Pet Peeve

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 15:04:12 +0000, 39Steps wrote:
HOW are you able to filter unfavourable sellers on EbaY? This is a great
idea.

I'd also like to exclude all lots that say RARE!!! and [email protected]@K!!!


You can exclude words, as Mr. Mycroft mentioned, by using eBay search
operators: a fairly advanced example would be

("1d red","penny red") imperf* -"[email protected]@K" -"RARE"

That would find everything listed as a "penny red" or "1d
red" (synonymous, which is when you use the parentheses with commas -- it
will match one or more of those terms); only imperforate issues
(regardless of the word ending, so, e.g., would match "imperf",
"imperf.", "imperforate", "imperforated"); and hyphens (negation) before
the words you don't want to show up, in this case "[email protected]@K" and "RARE".

You might go one better and write:

("1d red*","penny red*") imperf* -"[email protected]@K" -"RARE"

.... in case the listing's title is "Lot of 42 imperforate GB Penny Reds"
or something -- those asterisks will catch the plurals.

If Mr. Mycroft knows a way to blacklist *specific* *sellers*, however, I
hope he will share with the rest of the class.

--
Joshua McGee
APS, ATA, ISWSC, AFDCS, MBPC, MCC, BPS
Pasadena, California, USA
http://www.mcgees.org/stamp-offers/
  #5  
Old March 27th 08, 04:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace,rec.collecting.stamps,discuss,rec.collecting.stamps
39Steps
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 16
Default Ebay - Yet Another Pet Peeve

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 07:54:01 GMT, Joshua McGee
wrote:
On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 15:04:12 +0000, 39Steps wrote:
HOW are you able to filter unfavourable sellers on EbaY? This is a great
idea.


I'd also like to exclude all lots that say RARE!!! and [email protected]@K!!!


You can exclude words, as Mr. Mycroft mentioned, by using eBay search
operators: a fairly advanced example would be


("1d red","penny red") imperf* -"[email protected]@K" -"RARE"


That would find everything listed as a "penny red" or "1d
red" (synonymous, which is when you use the parentheses with commas -- it
will match one or more of those terms); only imperforate issues
(regardless of the word ending, so, e.g., would match "imperf",
"imperf.", "imperforate", "imperforated"); and hyphens (negation) before
the words you don't want to show up, in this case "[email protected]@K" and "RARE".


You might go one better and write:


("1d red*","penny red*") imperf* -"[email protected]@K" -"RARE"


... in case the listing's title is "Lot of 42 imperforate GB Penny Reds"
or something -- those asterisks will catch the plurals.


If Mr. Mycroft knows a way to blacklist *specific* *sellers*, however, I
hope he will share with the rest of the class.

Very good point - how to filter sellers so they do not show in Ebay lists?
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ebay - Yet Another Pet Peeve 39Steps General Discussion 4 March 22nd 08 04:58 PM
Pet Peeve: First Strikes Goldbug Coins 25 October 8th 06 09:57 AM
Your favorite eBay "coin peeve?" Amistad Coins 60 June 23rd 06 10:27 AM
eBay auctions -- what's your pet peeve? Jeff Landon Coins 55 April 2nd 05 11:28 PM
e-bay pet peeve Kevin B. Hockey 1 July 27th 03 03:33 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CollectingBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.