ID please

Old June 5th 09, 02:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default ID please

Maybe Tony Nakamura, (formerly Tony Antipodes)
could advise us what is written down the mandrels?

"rodney"
"Houston...we have a problem"

Old June 5th 09, 02:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua H. McGee

On Fri, 05 Jun 2009 07:51:55 +0800, rodney wrote:

We had a discussion on the type of roulette, but I cannot recall the
description.

"Hyphen-hole", IIRC.

--
Joshua H. McGee
Sierra Madre, Los Angeles, California, USA

Old June 5th 09, 06:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

That's it! my mind's eye had a dash,
"hyphen" failed to appear, faulty memory bank.

Old June 5th 09, 08:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

On Jun 5, 11:14 am, "rodney" wrote:
Maybe Tony Nakamura, (formerly Tony Antipodes)
could advise us what is written down the mandrels?

"rodney"

"Houston...we have a problem"

It certainly is a small image, but I think I can make out '5 Sen' down
the left hand side. The centre says 'Duty Stamp'.

That will be $A0.44, including GST, please.

Tony
Old June 5th 09, 12:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Well, to tell a funny story,
we host a Chinese student, and a Japanese student at home here.
Over dinner tonight, I asked "Kohei, can you read Japanese?"
"Of course" was the reply, looking a tad "put out".

Well, I showed him the 1 sen revenue stamp
and "No", "The writing is very, very old" , he could not read it.

He said the centre advises "paper stamp"

So no payment, for either of you.

Old June 6th 09, 10:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

On Jun 5, 9:19 pm, "rodney" wrote:
Well, to tell a funny story,
we host a Chinese student, and a Japanese student at home here.
Over dinner tonight, I asked "Kohei, can you read Japanese?"
"Of course" was the reply, looking a tad "put out".

Well, I showed him the 1 sen revenue stamp
and "No", "The writing is very, very old" , he could not read it.

He said the centre advises "paper stamp"

So no payment, for either of you.

Well, well, as I seem to have my professional hat on this evening,
allow me to demonstrate why I cost 20 (Australian) cents + GST a
word. From Kenkyusha's Japanese-English Dictionary:
"Inshi: A stamp; a revenue stamp ..."
(You'll have to take my word for it that the two large central
characters are pronounced 'inshi', I'm afraid.)

Tony
Old June 6th 09, 11:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Hmmm, that's exactly how the 20yo pronounced it.
The translation differed.
I'll go with yours, (he doesn't have the benefit of an extensive English
Lexicon)
but still no payment I'm afraid.

"Asia-translation"