Halves and $2 Bills

Old August 30th 04, 08:47 PM
Fred Shecter

Why are Sacagaweas "icky"?? Most people want them/like them.

If you are referring to non-shininess, well they buff up quite nice once they circulate at
a decent 'velocity'. Remember using silver coins as "normal" money?? I do. If you handled
them and then left them sitting, they turned all sorts of dark/black. BUT if you kept them
jingling around with other coins, they buffed themselves bright again.

And you obviously did not read the legislation. Obtaining each new release in "pure" form
is included. Just like the State Quarters.

-Fred Shecter

"Nick Cassaro" wrote in message
om...
You should use Golden Dollars

What for? It seems to me that the Presidential $1 Coin Act of 2004
would in effect make Suzies Ikes and make Sacagaweas Suzies. The
Suzies would be removed from circulation to keep it from interfering
with the success of the new coin. The Presidential coins would be
heavily promoted, but one wouldn't be able to obtain them without
getting a mix with those "icky Sacagaweas."

Sacagawea could've been a hit but at this point it's a failure; it's
dead. The public hates them.

Old August 30th 04, 09:42 PM
Nick Cassaro

Fred Shecter wrote:

Why are Sacagaweas "icky"??

I'm just playing devil's advocate. I happen to like them.

Most people want them/like them.

And what, pray tell, do you base this on? Where are the statistics?
And I don't mean that survey from 2002, which simply states people don't
feel it needs to be changed.
Old August 31st 04, 01:23 AM
Bruce Remick

"Fred Shecter" wrote in message
Why are Sacagaweas "icky"?? Most people want them/like them.

Depends on what circles you travel in. None of my non-collecting friends
want, like, or even have an opinion about dollar coins. They wouldn't
particularly want one any more than they would "want" a 1997 nickel. I know
you enjoy going out of your way to expose people to dollar coins, but most
of those folks you haven't touched yet remain quite satisfied with quarters,
$1 bills, and credit cards.

Bruce

Old August 31st 04, 02:53 AM
Donald F. Boudreau

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 20:23:14 -0400, "Bruce Remick" wrote:

"Fred Shecter" wrote in message
Why are Sacagaweas "icky"?? Most people want them/like them.

Depends on what circles you travel in. None of my non-collecting friends
want, like, or even have an opinion about dollar coins. They wouldn't
particularly want one any more than they would "want" a 1997 nickel. I know
you enjoy going out of your way to expose people to dollar coins, but most
of those folks you haven't touched yet remain quite satisfied with quarters,
$1 bills, and credit cards.

Bruce

To quote Fred

I use $2000 in twos a week. Most end up used 'over the counter', but 5 to 10% end up in
the ARCO machines (based upon comments from folks who get them from me and my own
spending).

I use $2000 in dollar coins a week and folks DO love the Golden Dollars.

unquote

And these $$$$ amounts are way out unbelievable. That's $208,000/year. You can't tell me that paying
for small purchases with a roll of $ coins and pocketing the green change is putting these coins in
circulation. I'll bet most wind up going back to the banks as business deposits, whereby you start
the cycle all over again. From the bank to Fred, to the business, back to the bank, back to Fred and
the beat goes on. Do you honestly think that those businesses you foist all these $ coins on are
handing them out in change to their other customers. I think not. I repeat - it's back to the bank.

Don

If you ask enough people for advice, you're bound to find someone
to advise you to do what you wanted to do anyway.

Old August 31st 04, 03:43 AM
Fred Shecter

I spend 2000 dollar coins per week. Every week for years. Since 2000 it has been 2000
per week. Before 2000 it was 1000 per week. Reason for increase: Golden Dollars. Folks
come to me asking for them at work to use in the vending machines and to spend out "in
the real world". It also helps that there are more car washes that accept and dispense
them and self-checkout stations that accept them. IF they dispensed them it would help a
GREAT deal.

Some of that is covered by the proposed legislation for federal facilities. We'll see if
that ever happens. I know that I'll phone in complaints if the facilities I visit or
work at do not accept and dispense them.

By the way, more and more attractive young women have been reacting VERY positively when
I spend them at their cash registers. Fewer and fewer negative reactions - usually from
bitter old lady cashiers or a few select bitter young cashiers. Positve far outweighs
negative. AND if I get a rude or nasty comment, it gets reported to the manager. Can't
having the bitter folks insulting the customers, now can we?

--
-Fred Shecter
Auctions:

To reply by e-mail, remove zorch two places.

Old August 31st 04, 03:51 AM
Fred Shecter

I ask them. They tell me that they either hand them out in change or the folks at the
store (cashiers or cash room folks) buy them all. They almost NEVER send them back to
the bank. REASON: they say that the banks charge them to ship out coin.

Of course they could be lying to me.

I'm fairly sure that a large number that I get from the bank are recirculated from a
variety of cources like coinstar. My orders are a drop in the bucket of the dollar coin
demand and useage in the Los Angeles area. There are huge numbers of machines spitting
them out at Post Offices, train stations, car washes. It owuld be nice if all the Pepsi
machines spit them out as change and allowed use of bills up to $20.

I stamp almost every $2 that passes through me. I rarely get any back with the stamp.
Today I got the most I've ever seen. Usual amount is 1 bill per 100 when I get
circulated bills and I only get circulated bills 60% of the year. Today I got a few
bundles with 25 stamped bills in them. It looks like out of 1000 bills there were 80
stamped. None of the stamped bills was a 2003, so these were stamped a while ago and
hoarded. The FRB wrappers indicate a date or wrapping of a couple of weeks ago.

Old August 31st 04, 07:30 AM
Malanutt 4 Life

You should use Golden Dollars

Well Fred, as much of a big fan of the GD I am, I was thinking if I used
halves, maybe most people won't refuse them because there isn't a "choice"
between a paper half dollar and a coin half dollar. I fear that if I try to
give out GDs as change, people might say "Can I have a paper dollar instead?" I
have however been thinking of maybe using all three ($2 bills, halves, and GDs)
I would just put the GDs and halves in the same slot, and I'm pretty sure I'm
not stupid enough to give out a GD when I'm supposed to give out a half, or
vice-versa. (-;

Tom
Old August 31st 04, 09:15 PM
Coin Saver

I still say they should have anodized the sac surfaces so they would stay
"golden and not get dark.
8-|
- Coin Saver

Old August 31st 04, 09:58 PM
Bill Ball

I'd have no problem with the half dollars but a $2 bill in
place of a $1 would be a bit of an issue. What do I use for
tipping, for instance. Personally I'd rather see a -coin-
dollar rather than a paper one and since I collect half
dollars, I'd love to see them back in circulation again. g
There was a lady that paid part of her bill with a half
dollar a while back and the cashier had to ask if it was -real-.

Michael G. Koerner wrote:
Malanutt 4 Life wrote:

.circulating a little bit. My question is, would halves cut

the demand for
quarters at all, and will $2 bills cut the demand for $1 bills at all? I was
thinking it would by half or close to it. It should cut the demand for $1 bills
and quarters a little bit, right?

Tom

The effect on coin/banknote usage will be more dramatic than you would
first think.

..

--
Have a Disney day.

()_() ()*()
(_) (_)

Bill

Old August 31st 04, 10:08 PM
Bill Ball

The people I've talked with just hate -coin- dollars PERIOD.
They'd rather have a fist full of paper than a pocket full
of coins. But personally, I like the -coins-, (probably a
personal thing though).

Can't get $2s Malanutt 4 Life Coins 10 January 14th 04 09:53 PM
Retail Use of Halves and Dollars DyzeeGF3 Coins 18 November 6th 03 11:37 AM
$2 Bills (What went wrong?) Malanutt 4 Life Coins 27 November 3rd 03 07:24 PM
New $5 and $10 Bills? Malanutt 4 Life Coins 5 October 16th 03 01:46 AM
EURO BILL TRACKER REACHES 1 000 000 REGISTERED BILLS Geerts Coins 0 August 12th 03 02:00 PM