Halves and $2 Bills

Old August 29th 04, 08:54 AM
Malanutt 4 Life

Default Halves and $2 Bills

I just had a quick question about half dollars and $2 bills. I'm thinking of
trying a part time cashier job to use these denominations to try to get them
circulating a little bit. My question is, would halves cut the demand for
quarters at all, and will $2 bills cut the demand for $1 bills at all? I was
thinking it would by half or close to it. It should cut the demand for $1 bills
and quarters a little bit, right?

Tom
Old August 29th 04, 09:43 AM
Michael G. Koerner

Malanutt 4 Life wrote:

I just had a quick question about half dollars and $2 bills. I'm thinking of
trying a part time cashier job to use these denominations to try to get them
circulating a little bit. My question is, would halves cut the demand for
quarters at all, and will $2 bills cut the demand for $1 bills at all? I was
thinking it would by half or close to it. It should cut the demand for $1 bills
and quarters a little bit, right?

Tom

The effect on coin/banknote usage will be more dramatic than you would
first think.

Halves will cut your need for quarters by a little under 2/3 (raw number
of coins). You would use one of those in leu of two quarters for any
change given from 50¢ to 74¢ and for any change given from 75¢ to 99¢,
you would give one half and one quarter instead of three quarters.

You will find a similar reduction in the number of singles used if you
use Deuces.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Old August 29th 04, 07:30 PM
Coin Saver

From: malanutt4life

I just had a quick question about half dollars and $2 bills. I'm thinking of

trying a part time cashier job to use these denominations to try to get them
circulating a little bit. My question is, would halves cut the demand for
quarters at all, and will $2 bills cut the demand for $1 bills at all? I was
thinking it would by half or close to it. It should cut the demand for $1 bills
and quarters a little bit, right?

Not significantly. Many customers will: 1) refuse them =or= 2) take them with a
grain of salt then turn around and re-spend them in your place, not elsewhere.

But never say 'die', Tom - keep the faith!

8-|
- Coin Saver

Old August 29th 04, 08:35 PM
Michael G. Koerner

From: malanutt4life

I just had a quick question about half dollars and $2 bills. I'm thinking of

trying a part time cashier job to use these denominations to try to get them
circulating a little bit. My question is, would halves cut the demand for
quarters at all, and will $2 bills cut the demand for $1 bills at all? I was
thinking it would by half or close to it. It should cut the demand for $1 bills
and quarters a little bit, right?

Not significantly. Many customers will: 1) refuse them =or=
| 2) take them with a grain of salt then turn around and re-spend them in |
| your place, not elsewhere. |

All the more reason to use them!!!

:-)

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Old August 29th 04, 09:30 PM
Nick Cassaro

From: malanutt4life

I just had a quick question about half dollars and $2 bills. I'm thinking of

trying a part time cashier job to use these denominations to try to get them
circulating a little bit. My question is, would halves cut the demand for
quarters at all, and will $2 bills cut the demand for $1 bills at all? I was
thinking it would by half or close to it. It should cut the demand for $1 bills
and quarters a little bit, right?

Not significantly. Many customers will: 1) refuse them

I think people *love* halves and twos; it's Sacagawea and SBA dollars
they refuse. But the fact that they love halves and twos is the
problem. It means they go, "Oh cool a half dollar/Oh cool a $2 bill!"
and then decide to hoard them.

Old August 30th 04, 12:46 AM
Bruce Remick

From: malanutt4life

I just had a quick question about half dollars and $2 bills. I'm thinking

of
trying a part time cashier job to use these denominations to try to get

them
circulating a little bit. My question is, would halves cut the demand for
quarters at all, and will $2 bills cut the demand for $1 bills at all? I

was
thinking it would by half or close to it. It should cut the demand for $1

bills
and quarters a little bit, right?

Not significantly. Many customers will: 1) refuse them =or= 2) take them

with a
grain of salt then turn around and re-spend them in your place, not

elsewhere.

But never say 'die', Tom - keep the faith!

More likely customers will accept them but will then toss them in a novelty
drawer/box at home. It's unlikely many customers will be as eager as you to
run out and re-circulate them. Psychologists could have a ball analyzing
our coin/currency phobias and it would be enlightening to see the results
and recommendations.

Bruce

Old August 30th 04, 11:41 AM
Jerry Dennis

"CoinSaver" comments:

From: malanutt4life

I just had a quick question about half dollars and $2 bills. I'm thinking of
trying a part time cashier job to use these denominations to try to get
them circulating a little bit. My question is, would halves cut the demand

for
quarters at all, and will $2 bills cut the demand for $1 bills at all? I was
thinking it would by half or close to it. It should cut the demand for $1
bills and quarters a little bit, right?

Not significantly. Many customers will: 1) refuse them =or= 2) take them with
a grain of salt then turn around and re-spend them in your place, not
elsewhere.

But never say 'die', Tom - keep the faith!

8-|
- Coin Saver

"I'll fix that guy. I'll bring in all my dirty old money and spend it there.
That'll show him!"

Jerry
Hey, Tom! I'm looking for a change of career! :-)
Old August 30th 04, 01:55 PM
Fred Shecter

Most people love $2s and most people look at halves as a novelty, BUT they quickly learn
to despise halves when they find out that NO vending machines will accept them. You will
train customers to recoil in horror from the halves (i.e. refuse to accept them). If you
have customers that never use vending machines or parking meters, they may not care either
way.

If you have a cool ARCO or similar gas station nearby that has the 'pay at the pump' cash
accepters, then they most probably will accept Twos. I find that at each ARCO station with
4 terminals, at least one, sometimes two are set up to accept Two's. Otherwise, folks can
simply spend them over the counter like *money*.

I use $2000 in twos a week. Most end up used 'over the counter', but 5 to 10% end up in
the ARCO machines (based upon comments from folks who get them from me and my own
spending).

I use $2000 in dollar coins a week and folks DO love the Golden Dollars. I've found more
and more young women who think they are the coolest thing. I suspect that back in 2000
when they were introduced, their school teachers integrated the coin into a lesson plan,
but they never really got to see many of them. Now that they are older and have entry
level jobs (cashiers), they are excited to see them.

Most folks still think they will confuse a "Susan B. Anthony Dollar" with a quarter and
recoil in horror. HOWEVER, when you re roll them in 100% rolls of Susies with the reverse
side visible from both ends, and mark the rolls "RARE APOLLO XI DOLLAR COINS FROM THE
1900's", they say "Cool", or "You're spending these?" or ""I've gotta buy these from the
register" or something similar. You see, they NEVER looked at the reverse side. They were
too busy hating Susie or repeating what the crowd/newsmedia told them they should think
("It's the same size as a quarter and I'll confuse them"). I took 7 rolls out to the high
desert northeast of LA yesterday and folks went NUTS over them. i also found a supermarket
bank open on Sunday with a fresh batch of keelboat nickels, so I picked up a few more
rolls. I also used some Twos in the ARCO machines out there, so I applied the "ACCEPTS $2
BILLS" stickers to those machines.

You should use Golden Dollars and Twos. Customers can use the GDs in vending machines or
for the tooth fairy or whatever. If anyone reports a vending machine that won't accept
them, remind them that it's just a simple flip of a switch to activate that function, and
they should call the folks who run the machines and let them know that they are missing
sales because their machines are not set properly.

http://www.geocities.com/fredeshecter/flipswitch.doc

-Fred Shecter

Old August 30th 04, 07:51 PM
Nick Cassaro

You should use Golden Dollars

What for? It seems to me that the Presidential $1 Coin Act of 2004
would in effect make Suzies Ikes and make Sacagaweas Suzies. The
Suzies would be removed from circulation to keep it from interfering
with the success of the new coin. The Presidential coins would be
heavily promoted, but one wouldn't be able to obtain them without
getting a mix with those "icky Sacagaweas."

Sacagawea could've been a hit but at this point it's a failure; it's
dead. The public hates them.
Old August 30th 04, 08:10 PM
Chris Parker

I just had a quick question about half dollars and $2 bills. I'm thinking of
trying a part time cashier job to use these denominations to try to get them
circulating a little bit. My question is, would halves cut the demand for
quarters at all, and will $2 bills cut the demand for $1 bills at all? I was
thinking it would by half or close to it. It should cut the demand for $1 bills
and quarters a little bit, right?

Obviously, it would be best if the store manager would be willing
eventually to order the half-dollar rolls and $2 bills as part of its
weekly bank FAX order and every cashier at the store would adopt the
practice, if customers don't complain. Also, the cash registers would
need to be properly rearranged so that junk doesn't go in the 5th cash
slot and checks and $50 and $100 bills are kept under the tray
(usually a good idea anyway, since you never give any of these out in
change without receiving one, except perhaps for "cash back" debit
card transactions).

I've had the same idea about getting a cashier job, but to find the
right job will take time and careful interviewing. The size of impact
would depend on where you find the job, how often you work there, and
what other cashiers do.

If it is a place people spend cash at regularly (like the U.S. Post
Office, supermarket, pharmacy, gas station, check cashing services
office, deli, etc.), it could have a significant impact over time
because the same people will keep receiving them over and over again,
and won't consider them rare anymore.

On the other hand, if it is a place where the majority of payments are
by credit card or people visit infrequently (like electronics store,
full service restaurants, airport, amusement park, office supplies
stores, book stores, etc.), then it will just be an oddity and the
impact will be almost none.

Certainly, there will always be some people who will consider these
denominations oddities that they'd rather not receive (like a dirty
penny or overly worn $1 note), and you should be prepared to give them
an alternate arrangement of change upon request to keep the customer
happy.

The math of the technique is pretty simple. Certainly, use of $1 bill
and $.25 coin is substantially reduced by use of $2 bills and $.50
half dollar coins. Here are the ideal ways to make the necessary
amounts of change:

$.25 1 quarter-dollar
$.50 1 half-dollar (vs. 2 quarter dollar)
$.75 1 half-dollar & 1 quarter (vs. 3 quarter dollar)

$1 1 $1 bill
$2 1 $2 bill (vs. 2 $1 bills)
$3 1 $2 bill, 1 $1 bill (vs. 3 $1 bills)
$4 2 $2 bills (vs. 4 $1 bills)
$5 1 $5 bill
$6 1 $5 bill, 1 $1 bill
$7 1 $5 bill, 1 $2 bill (vs. 2 $1 bills)
$8 1 $5 bill, 1 $2 bill, 1 $1 bill (vs. 3 $1 bills)
$9 1 $5 bill, 2 $2 bill (vs. 4 $1 bills)

Good luck, spread the word that these are readily available to every
employer you interview with, so that even if you don't get the job or
accept it, the idea is out there in marchants' heads.

CP

PS: Setting up a $2 bill ATM machine (cash machine) in a major public
location is another idea that I have pondered, though it would require
a more expensive ATM machine which supports 2 denominations so it
could dispense $50 bills along with $2 bills to give out large
withdrawal amounts without going empty quickly.

Can't get $2s Malanutt 4 Life Coins 10 January 14th 04 09:53 PM
Retail Use of Halves and Dollars DyzeeGF3 Coins 18 November 6th 03 11:37 AM
$2 Bills (What went wrong?) Malanutt 4 Life Coins 27 November 3rd 03 07:24 PM
New $5 and $10 Bills? Malanutt 4 Life Coins 5 October 16th 03 01:46 AM
EURO BILL TRACKER REACHES 1 000 000 REGISTERED BILLS Geerts Coins 0 August 12th 03 02:00 PM