"Real" Money

Old January 27th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Default "Real" Money

"note.boy" wrote in message

"note.boy" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
"Real" money, meaning that the value of the coin is in the
metal, is gone now. Was the USA the last country to coin
real money? If not, which country carried on coinage after
LBJ eliminated silver coinage?

BTW, I do not count legal tender coins like the US $50
gold coin, as it is not expected to be circulated as a
Kennedy half dollar was.

GFH

I would not be surprised if the USA was the last country to coin "real"
money as they have the most backward coin and papermoney on the planet.

So, you've rigorously examined the coin and papermoney of all nations on
the planet and come to this conclusion, eh?

Mr. Jaggers

Prove me wrong by naming a non third world country that has a more
backward coin and papermoney set up.

Oh, I see, now that I've called your bluff, you change the parameters.
Clever move.

Mr. J.

Old January 27th 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Jan 27, 4:22 pm, "note.boy" wrote:
"Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote in ...

Mr. JaggersProve me wrong by naming a non third world country that has a more backward

coin and papermoney set up.

Who else has ridiculously low face value coins and papermoney in circulation
similar to the one cent coin and the one dollar note?

The UK got rid of the 1/2p coin (roughly equal to the one cent coin) in 1984
and last issued the ten bob note (roughly equal to the one dollar note) in
1967.

The USA is 23 and 40 years behind the UK.

The attractiveness of current USA papermoney from a collecting point of view
is a million miles behind Scottish notes. We have very attractive issues in
a variety of designs/colours and sizes from three different banks that
change fairly regularly.

I agree with all of these points, but the USA (except for gold coins
minted prior to
1933) has never demonitized any of its currency. It is all still
good! The USA is
understandably reluctant to break this policy. How to introduce the US
$ 1.-
coin without demontizing the US$ 1.- bill. That is the problem no one
has solved.

Can you?

GFH

Old January 27th 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jeff R.

"note.boy" wrote in message

I would not be surprised if the USA was the last country to coin "real"
money as they have the most backward coin and papermoney on the planet.

Why are all the notes the one colour and size regardless of denomination
as this must make the sorting of notes difficult.

Why do the notes have little in the way of security features which makes
forgery easier.

As the congresscritters for the answer. Billy

Tend to agree, Billy.
Judging by the responses over the years, in this NG, to the proposal that
the 1¢ be dropped, I'd suggest that our US cousins would tend to be a little
more conservative (read "ornery", "stubborn"...) than most of the rest of
the globe, particularly in terms of "fixing something what ain't broke!"

The degree of being "broke", of course, is debatable. (As is the relative
virtue of this character trait.)

I'm guessing here, but maybe too many 'Merkins have fond memories
(anecdotes, stories) of "what Granpaw did with that penny" (etc. etc.) for
them to allow that tangible piece of history to be summarily eliminated.
(And rounding will result in runaway inflation for decades to come.)

To give them their credit, they are making a half-hearted, and wishy-washy
attempt to introduce some colour (sorry: "color") into their notes. Too
little, too late, too slow.

I kinda like the vignettes on some of their notes, 'though: The spooky
pyramid and eye on the $1, the founding fathers on the $2. The architecture
lessons on the others get a bit dull.

Making them all the same size has got be a bit silly.

Still - if it ain't broke...

--
Jeff R.
(from the land of kaleidoscopic plastic banknote)

Old January 27th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jeff R.

"note.boy" wrote in message

Why are all the notes the one colour and size regardless of denomination
as this must make the sorting of notes difficult.

Almost forgot...
Oh! for the good old days of the *magnificent* silver certificates:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...llars_1896.jpg

Sigghhhhhh

--
Jeff R.

Old January 27th 07, 11:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
WheatPenny

On 27 Jan 2007 14:09:41 -0800, wrote:

[...]

Yep, like I always tell people who rubbish oour economy and our
currency system, this is the only country in the world where you can
still spend a 200 year old coin. Anyone who would do so would have to
be insane, butat least it's still legal tender.

How to introduce the US
$ 1.-coin without demontizing the US$ 1.- bill. That is the problem no one
has solved.

Can you?

GFH

The solution is to stop making the $1 bills and make only the coins.
After a few years the bills will disappear from circulation as they
become worn or as they are hoarded out of circulation by the "these
are going to be worth a bazillion dollars one day" people (the same
ones who are now hoarding circulated state quarters ( which they will
put right beside the sacks of bicentennial coins that they still
haven't found a buyer for)

Old January 27th 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jeff R.

wrote in message
ps.com...
I agree with all of these points, but the USA (except for gold coins
minted prior to
1933) has never demonitized any of its currency. It is all still
good! The USA is
understandably reluctant to break this policy. How to introduce the US
$ 1.-
coin without demontizing the US$ 1.- bill. That is the problem no one
has solved.

Can you?

GFH

Just stop printing them. They wear out pretty fast. Before long they'll be
effectively out of circulation and will represent just an occasional
nuisance at the register. Witness the "found in change" threads. Hehe.
They'll start a whole new round of "this dopey young store clerk refused to
take my $1 notes - called the manager... (etc.)" threads.

After a few years everyone will wonder what the fuss was about.

Here in Australia, the complete changeover was measured in months, not
years. I'm still gobsmacked at how quickly the paper $1 and $2 disappeared.

--
Jeff R.

Old January 28th 07, 12:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
kathy1945

Boy, some of you guys are real money snobs. The U.S. bills and coins
are primarily here to serve the purpose of commerce, and they work
pretty well. So what if a lot of them aren't worthy of framing.
That's only a secondary consideration.

Old January 28th 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jeff R.

"kathy1945" wrote in message
oups.com...
Boy, some of you guys are real money snobs. The U.S. bills and coins
are primarily here to serve the purpose of commerce, and they work
pretty well. So what if a lot of them aren't worthy of framing.
That's only a secondary consideration.

So why are the Feds "colorizing" the new issues? If it ain't broke?

--
Jeff R. (Real Money Snob)
(sees no harm in the admiration of beauty)

Old January 28th 07, 02:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 12:20:45 +1100, Jeff R. wrote:

"kathy1945" wrote in message
oups.com...
Boy, some of you guys are real money snobs. The U.S. bills and coins
are primarily here to serve the purpose of commerce, and they work
pretty well. So what if a lot of them aren't worthy of framing.
That's only a secondary consideration.

So why are the Feds "colorizing" the new issues? If it ain't broke?

Stated purpose is to make them more visually distinguished from the
other; the redesign in general is to add anti-counterfieting features.
Or was that a rhetorical question?

Old January 28th 07, 02:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jeff R.

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 12:20:45 +1100, Jeff R. wrote:

"kathy1945" wrote in message
oups.com...
Boy, some of you guys are real money snobs. The U.S. bills and coins
are primarily here to serve the purpose of commerce, and they work
pretty well. So what if a lot of them aren't worthy of framing.
That's only a secondary consideration.

So why are the Feds "colorizing" the new issues? If it ain't broke?

Stated purpose is to make them more visually distinguished from the
other; the redesign in general is to add anti-counterfieting features.
Or was that a rhetorical question?

Way, w-a-a-ay rhetorical.

Sorry - couldn't conjure an appropriate smiley.

--
Jeff R.