Rollerball refilling

Old April 20th 05, 06:11 AM
Renard DellaFave

Default Rollerball refilling

Copy of an email discussion that I thought might be useful to the pen
collecting public
---
Actually, I've tried your method with Pelikan refills-taking out the

soft
plastic plug, washing it through and then filling with an ink of my

choice.
I've not had good experience with this, though. Either, I did

something
wrong and the refill leaked, or it ran out almost immediately.

I generally haven't washed but just topped off with water (if I didn't
use it much) or ink of the same color. I did try washing out a UniBall
Micro refill. For another color I might try just over-loading the
fibers with 2-3cc of ink which should make most of the original ink
drip right off.

If it's too full use a tissue or the syringe to suck off a bit. You
can see when it's as full as it can hold if when you invert the refill
(point faces up) the surface of the ink-storage-fiber-element looks
wetter than in does when the refill is point down. Shows that ink
would form a drop on the end if there were any more in there.

If I can, I don't remove the fiber part as it can be tricky to get it
to "seat" back down on the fiber "spike" that conducts ink from it to
the point. For changing colors, though, you'd probably have to pull
it.

If it leaks just draw a slow line on some paper towel and that should
draw out a lot of ink. Draw out enough and it'll not leak.

It also seems
like the rollerball inks have some kind of oil-like substance that

helps
promote the flow.

Possible but I kinda doubt it, nor do I find Noodler's lubricating

"eel" inks to roll any smoother. Some pens, like Pilot V-ball pens do
"squeak" a bit with the refill ink but I just ignore that.

For Tombo, I have tried removing the point piece and refilling. I'm

not so
good at this

Not sure what they look like but if it's like the pilot V-5/7 try a
piece of steel wire like a paper clip bent so that it goes in between
the lowest set of fins you can get to, and then use a pliers on the
wire. The idea is to pull up nearly equally all around the tip rather
than a lot in one or two spots.

Have you had any of these results? If you're satisfied with your work,

I'd
be happy to try one of yours!

Mostly I just revive my old rollerballs with 1-2cc of water, so it may
be you just won't like how the pens write with only FP ink in them.

Have you ever switched the point from one Parker refill to another?

Parker RBs are impossible to get into. You could probably pull the
(metal part of) the point off intact, but I haven't been able to pull
the two metal halves of the body apart. It is a free-ink system so you
could drill the back end.

Many Thanks, Looking forward to hearing from you,

All Best,
H.