Where To Buy?

Old October 6th 09, 07:00 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

Default Where To Buy?

Now that I've gone through the archive, I need recommendations because the
links I've tried are old.

What I'm looking for is an ultrasonic cleaner with a stainless steel tank,
40+ KHz, 50 watts. Hopefully priced $100.

If you bought one, or know where someone you know bought one, I'd appreciate
knowing.

TIA.

(Yes, I did the unspeakable and haven't been able to soak and flush the nib
and feed clear.)

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

Old October 7th 09, 12:29 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Sparafucile

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 13:00:26 -0500, Bluesea wrote:

Now that I've gone through the archive, I need recommendations because the
links I've tried are old.

What I'm looking for is an ultrasonic cleaner with a stainless steel tank,
40+ KHz, 50 watts. Hopefully priced $100.

If you bought one, or know where someone you know bought one, I'd appreciate
knowing.

TIA.

(Yes, I did the unspeakable and haven't been able to soak and flush the nib
and feed clear.)

I am a luthier (make guitars) and do metalworking
as hobbies and have many power tools, from
top-of-the line Japanese and Swiss to Harbor
Freight's house brand, Chicago. I'll give you my
..02.

Harbor freight sells cheap, Chinese tools which
are passably engineered and made; their "ratings"
(e.g. wattage etc.) are always overblown. I do
buy their stuff, for tools that I use only
occasionally; they are "clunkier" than most. I
consider HF tools "disposable"...

If you are going to use this only once a month or
so for five minutes at a time, than get the 95563
- there is no way in the world it is really 160
watts, though. The other HF machines are marginal
- at best, IMO.

If you want a real ultrasonic, get a L&R Q-90,
their entry-level machine. It is rated (honestly)
at 55 watts, and side-by-side to the HF, the L&R
will clean better and faster than any HF. OK, it's
not $100, but you'll have it for a lifetime.
Google to see it.

I've had my Q-90 for 21 years now, and it runs
like the proverbial Swiss watch.

--
Ciao,

Serge

´I love cats because I take pleasure in my home;
soul.¡
Jean Cocteau, 1889-1963

10/6/2009 7:11:09 PM
Old October 7th 09, 05:37 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Sparafucile" wrote in message
[...]

Other than being inaccurately rated, it's okay if it isn't 160 watts.
Richard Binder recommended 50 watts as being more powerful than the jewelry
cleaners while not being so powerful that it might damage vintage pens. (I
have only one vintage pen which I never use.)

I was thinking that after I get this clog cleared out, I'd go back to
flushing by hand and use the UC to keep cartridges clean (I refill carts and
the international standards aren't as easy to clean as Pilot carts.),
thinking I'd clean nibs and feeds only once a year in the machine to keep
them spiffed up. I was doing fine before I let this particular pen sit
without a flushing for well over a year.

If you want a real ultrasonic, get a L&R Q-90,
their entry-level machine. It is rated (honestly)
at 55 watts, and side-by-side to the HF, the L&R
will clean better and faster than any HF. OK, it's
not $100, but you'll have it for a lifetime.
Google to see it.

I've had my Q-90 for 21 years now, and it runs
like the proverbial Swiss watch.

That's a wonderful track record. I'll have to think about it since I wasn't
prepared to spend more than $150. I could buy another nib section for my pen
for $80 and wait to get a US machine when I'm ready to spend more money on
it.

Thanks for the advice.

--
Ciao,

Serge

´I love cats because I take pleasure in my home;
soul.¡
Jean Cocteau, 1889-1963

10/6/2009 7:11:09 PM

Since you love cats, have you seen the A.S. Manhattaner's NY
Artists Guild Fountain Pens by Sailor? Only $21 at JetPens:

http://www.jetpens.com/index.php/cPath/214_835.

Old October 7th 09, 05:37 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"l, not -l" wrote in message

On 6-Oct-2009, "Bluesea" wrote:

Now that I've gone through the archive, I need recommendations because
the

links I've tried are old.

What I'm looking for is an ultrasonic cleaner with a stainless steel
tank,

40+ KHz, 50 watts. Hopefully priced $100.

I have been well pleased with my 60 watt, model 93035, Chicago Electric
ultrasonic cleaner. They are sold exclusively by Harbor Freight, though I
do not see this model listed online. I bought mine at a local Harbor
Freight store a couple of years ago.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...onic&Submit=Go

If you have one of their stores near you, you might want to see if they
carry the model 93035. If buying from them online is your only option, do
NOT consider the model 3305; it has a reputation for early failure due to
fatigue of wiring that passes through the hinged top. The model 95563 is
very similar in construction to the 93035; but, has a larger capacity and
higher wattage.
--
Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

Thanks, the closest store is an hour away, so I'll save this info for the
next time I go there.

Old October 8th 09, 12:42 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Sparafucile

On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 11:37:00 -0500, Bluesea wrote:

"Sparafucile" Other than being inaccurately rated, it's okay if it isn't 160 watts.
Richard Binder recommended 50 watts as being more powerful than the jewelry
cleaners while not being so powerful that it might damage vintage pens. (I
have only one vintage pen which I never use.)

IIRC, Richard uses a L&R.....

I was thinking that after I get this clog cleared out, I'd go back to
flushing by hand and use the UC to keep cartridges clean (I refill carts and
the international standards aren't as easy to clean as Pilot carts.),
thinking I'd clean nibs and feeds only once a year in the machine to keep
them spiffed up. I was doing fine before I let this particular pen sit
without a flushing for well over a year.

If you live near NYC, you're welcome to drop by
and drop it in my L&R....

Thanks for the advice.

You're welcome.

Since you love cats, have you seen the A.S. Manhattaner's NY
Artists Guild Fountain Pens by Sailor? Only $21 at JetPens:

http://www.jetpens.com/index.php/cPath/214_835.

I like Sailors, but that pen is a bit too "Hello
Kitty" for a man in his 60s, LOL!!!!!!!

--
Ciao,

Serge

´I love cats because I take pleasure in my home;
soul.¡
Jean Cocteau, 1889-1963

10/7/2009 7:38:59 PM
Old October 8th 09, 10:01 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
vic

Sparafucile wrote:

Since you love cats, have you seen the A.S. Manhattaner's NY
Artists Guild Fountain Pens by Sailor? Only $21 at JetPens:

http://www.jetpens.com/index.php/cPath/214_835.

I like Sailors, but that pen is a bit too "Hello
Kitty" for a man in his 60s, LOL!!!!!!!

No need to be ashamed of being partial to nautical gentlemen ("Hello,
Sailor!")

Old October 24th 09, 04:22 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Dr. Curmudgon Gee[_2_]

In article , "Bluesea" wrote:
Since you love cats, have you seen the A.S. Manhattaner's NY
Artists Guild Fountain Pens by Sailor? Only $21 at JetPens:

http://www.jetpens.com/index.php/cPath/214_835.

sigh. why are you telling me this?
LOL.

also Bluesea, sorry to ask you an irrelevant question:

did you say you like the Earl Gray vanilla by special teas or Upton? that was
a while ago but i can't find it.

thanks.

pam

Pam's Ode to Spammers & Telemarketers

May all spammers & telemarketers die an agonizing death; have no
burial places; their souls be chased by demons in Gehenna from one
room to another for 1000 years while listening to Bartok microcosmos +
Scriabin playing together.
Old October 25th 09, 10:04 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Dr. Curmudgon Gee" wrote in message
t...
In article , "Bluesea"
wrote:
Since you love cats, have you seen the A.S. Manhattaner's NY
Artists Guild Fountain Pens by Sailor? Only $21 at JetPens:

http://www.jetpens.com/index.php/cPath/214_835.

sigh. why are you telling me this?
LOL.

ROTFL! Glad to be of service!

also Bluesea, sorry to ask you an irrelevant question:

did you say you like the Earl Gray vanilla by special teas or Upton? that
was a while ago but i can't find it.

Yes, the Earl Grey Crème Vanilla is Upton #TE01. Heh, I got a friend hooked
on it now, too. Here's a link:

http://tinyurl.com/yl7hej9.

Old November 2nd 09, 06:09 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Non scrivetemi" wrote in message
tonsmith.info...
In article
Sparafucile wrote:

On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 11:37:00 -0500, Bluesea wrote:

Since you love cats, have you seen the A.S. Manhattaner's NY
Artists Guild Fountain Pens by Sailor? Only $21 at JetPens:

http://www.jetpens.com/index.php/cPath/214_835.

I like Sailors, but that pen is a bit too "Hello
Kitty" for a man in his 60s, LOL!!!!!!!

Aw, c'mon. Wouldn't you look just adorable writing about town
with that pink one? I know that I, in my 60s, can hardly resist.

Is that a Sailor proprietary cartridge they take?

Yes.

Old November 5th 09, 07:56 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Dr. Curmudgon Gee[_2_]

In article , "Bluesea" wrote:

did you say you like the Earl Gray vanilla by special teas or Upton? that
was a while ago but i can't find it.

Yes, the Earl Grey Crème Vanilla is Upton #TE01. Heh, I got a friend hooked
on it now, too. Here's a link:

http://tinyurl.com/yl7hej9.

thanks. i have ordered some.
(Special Teas also has an Earl Grey vanila. don't know which one is better)
i also like Mighty Leave's earl grey.

(still trying to resist the kitty pens, LOL)

regards,