Ink Reviews: MB Bordeaux, MB Violet, MB Racing Green, Diamine Orange, and Baystate Blue

Old May 20th 08, 05:26 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

Default Ink Reviews: MB Bordeaux, MB Violet, MB Racing Green, Diamine Orange, and Baystate Blue

Montblanc Bordeaux - is a nice dark brownish red that I was looking forward
to using. I emptied SwishMix Quick Lime from the Kaweco Ice it was in,
flushed the pen thoroughly with water using a baby earwashing
syringe-thingy, wicked out the water, and filled with the MB Bordeaux.

Nothing happened. As much as I tried, even after trying to wick the ink out,
even after propping the pen nib-end down, I was never able to get the pen to
write in the three hours that I tried. If it wasn't for the Quick Lime, I
would have thought there was something wrong with the new pen. Since I
bought it for the bottle, it was easy for me to think, "ahh, forgetaboutit,"
and pour the ink down the drain. I flushed the pen and filled it with...

Montblanc Violet. This is a nice dark purple tending towards plum or
eggplant, it's that dark. It flows nicely, also, and doesn't feel as dry
being laid down on the paper like the MB Turquoise does. I like it and would
buy it again for the ink instead of just for the bottle.

MB Racing Green - discussed in previous posts, this is nearly unbearably
ugly. However, it writes well and would be a suitable ink to buy again if
one likes the color which I don't. In fact, I'd pour it down the drain if I
didn't like the way it writes as much as I do.

Diamine Orange - This is a bold, bright, attention-getting orange that
matches the rinds of tangerines or mandarin oranges. It's a clear orange,
not at all muted or muddy. Almost overwhelming in intensity in a broad line,
it becomes lively and very attractive in a Japanese fine line. Although it's
not quite the shade I want, it's completely acceptable and I've already used
it for a letter. I might experiment by adding a bit of the Conway Stewart
Orange to it to see if I can get the orange rind color I want, or I might
leave it and use it as is.

Noodler's Baystate Blue - Do I really need to review this ink? Suffice it to
say that this is the one ink that will get me writing with a medium nib
instead of my favored Japanese fines. A fine nib just doesn't do it justice,
IMO, while fine-medium and medium nibs allow the electricity of the color to
reach out and mesmerize you. I'm sure a broad nib would be even more so. As
it is, I already wrote to a friend with it. It's an outstanding color
although it doesn't flow quite as well as others I've tried. I added a
couple of drops of distilled water to the pen and it works just fine, now.
I've had no problem cleaning up after filling and refilling and changing
pens. A bar of soap rubbed on the sink basin allowed the ink to rinse away
and it rinsed cleanly from the plastic syringe I used for filling. A speck
on a finger disappeared about the same as any other ink.

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

Old May 29th 08, 11:21 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Drunken Lord[_2_]

On Mon, 19 May 2008 23:26:35 -0500, "Bluesea"
wrote:

Montblanc Bordeaux - is a nice dark brownish red that I was looking forward
to using. I emptied SwishMix Quick Lime from the Kaweco Ice it was in,
flushed the pen thoroughly with water using a baby earwashing
syringe-thingy, wicked out the water, and filled with the MB Bordeaux.

Nothing happened. As much as I tried, even after trying to wick the ink out,
even after propping the pen nib-end down, I was never able to get the pen to
write in the three hours that I tried. If it wasn't for the Quick Lime, I
would have thought there was something wrong with the new pen. Since I
bought it for the bottle, it was easy for me to think, "ahh, forgetaboutit,"
and pour the ink down the drain. I flushed the pen and filled it with...

That is what I thought Bordeaux would be good for, for the bottle.

Montblanc Violet. This is a nice dark purple tending towards plum or
eggplant, it's that dark. It flows nicely, also, and doesn't feel as dry
being laid down on the paper like the MB Turquoise does. I like it and would
buy it again for the ink instead of just for the bottle.

Yeah, this is a good one. But when I put it beside Noodler's Wampum,
I like Noodler's better.

MB Racing Green - discussed in previous posts, this is nearly unbearably
ugly. However, it writes well and would be a suitable ink to buy again if
one likes the color which I don't. In fact, I'd pour it down the drain if I
didn't like the way it writes as much as I do.

This is the ****tiest ink I've ever seen. For this kind of green,
Noodler's Army Green is the way to go. It's not pretty, but it looks
a hell of a lot better than Racing Green and I've never thought of
pouring it down the drain.

Racing Green is one of the favorite inks on FPN. You can't pay
attention to what many people say on FPN--that many FPN'ers like a
butthole ugly ink like Racing Green testifies to that. It's the only
ink I know of that's as ugly as FPN Galileo.

Many FPN'ers seem to like ink based on the name of the ink, and
"Racing Green" is a good name. Good name; ****ty ink.

Diamine Orange - This is a bold, bright, attention-getting orange that
matches the rinds of tangerines or mandarin oranges. It's a clear orange,
not at all muted or muddy. Almost overwhelming in intensity in a broad line,
it becomes lively and very attractive in a Japanese fine line. Although it's
not quite the shade I want, it's completely acceptable and I've already used
it for a letter. I might experiment by adding a bit of the Conway Stewart
Orange to it to see if I can get the orange rind color I want, or I might
leave it and use it as is.

You might want to do a little experimenting with that R&K yellow. I
don't know. Mixing oranges doesn't work as well for me as other
colors.
Old June 4th 08, 04:25 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

wrote:

MB Racing Green - discussed in previous posts, this is nearly unbearably
ugly. However, it writes well and would be a suitable ink to buy again if
one likes the color which I don't. In fact, I'd pour it down the drain if
didn't like the way it writes as much as I do.

This is the ****tiest ink I've ever seen. For this kind of green,
Noodler's Army Green is the way to go. It's not pretty, but it looks
a hell of a lot better than Racing Green and I've never thought of
pouring it down the drain.

Racing Green is one of the favorite inks on FPN. You can't pay
attention to what many people say on FPN--that many FPN'ers like a
butthole ugly ink like Racing Green testifies to that. It's the only
ink I know of that's as ugly as FPN Galileo.

Many FPN'ers seem to like ink based on the name of the ink, and
"Racing Green" is a good name. Good name; ****ty ink.

IMO, the ink's good, only ugly.

Diamine Orange - This is a bold, bright, attention-getting orange that
matches the rinds of tangerines or mandarin oranges. It's a clear orange,
not at all muted or muddy. Almost overwhelming in intensity in a broad
line,
it becomes lively and very attractive in a Japanese fine line. Although
it's
not quite the shade I want, it's completely acceptable and I've already
used
it for a letter. I might experiment by adding a bit of the Conway Stewart
Orange to it to see if I can get the orange rind color I want, or I might
leave it and use it as is.

You might want to do a little experimenting with that R&K yellow. I
don't know. Mixing oranges doesn't work as well for me as other
colors.

I like what I got when I mixed it with the Conway Stewart. However, I wrote
about adding a bit of the CS to the Diamine, but what I actually did was add
a bit of the Diamine to the CS. I s'pose I should try what I said I'd do,
but I already like what I got.