Parker medium rollerball refill: does it have to be scratchy?

Old April 28th 08, 08:57 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Evgeny Makarov

Default Parker medium rollerball refill: does it have to be scratchy?

Hello,

I tried two Parker medium rollerball refills and was very surprised to
find that both of them had an awful scratchy feeling. It's not that
they tore through the paper, of course, but it felt that it was not
the ball only that touched the paper but the metal part around it as
well. As a result, both refills were basically unusable.

I hold the pen at about 45 degree angle. Is it possible that they are
intended to be held more vertically? Or was it just bad luck? Are
there any refillable rollerballs that you could recommend for having
the feel similar to fountain pens?

Thanks a lot,
Evgeny
Old April 28th 08, 11:39 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
JimL

On Apr 28, 2:57*pm, Evgeny Makarov wrote:
Hello,

I tried two Parker medium rollerball refills and was very surprised to
find that both of them had an awful scratchy feeling. It's not that
they tore through the paper, of course, but it felt that it was not
the ball only that touched the paper but the metal part around it as
well. As a result, both refills were basically unusable.

I hold the pen at about 45 degree angle. Is it possible that they are
intended to be held more vertically? Or was it just bad luck? Are
there any refillable rollerballs that you could recommend for having
the feel similar to fountain pens?

Thanks a lot,
Evgeny

That has been my experience, also. Perhaps if you tried a medium or
broad tip, instead of fine.

Old April 29th 08, 05:21 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Evgeny Makarov" wrote in message
Hello,

I tried two Parker medium rollerball refills and was very surprised to
find that both of them had an awful scratchy feeling. It's not that
they tore through the paper, of course, but it felt that it was not
the ball only that touched the paper but the metal part around it as
well. As a result, both refills were basically unusable.

I hold the pen at about 45 degree angle. Is it possible that they are
intended to be held more vertically? Or was it just bad luck? Are
there any refillable rollerballs that you could recommend for having
the feel similar to fountain pens?

Thanks a lot,
Evgeny

My medium's good although I prefer the fine. My Parker medium's smoother
than the ink rollers I've tried, but fps beat them all. Have you tried the
Parker fine? Do your refills work better when you hold the pen more
vertically? Do you like the pen enough to retrain yourself to write that
way?

I didn't like the other rollerballs I tried such as Cross and Waterman, but
Retro 51 is nice so I got one of those for my desk set. Schmidt refills are
nice, so maybe you could find a pen that accepts those.

How do you feel about the Pilot G2 gel pens? If you like them, the Waterman
bp/rb also accepts the G2 refill. I like to give women friends the Ici Et La
pen because it gives them the options of the Waterman bp and rb and Pilot G2
gel refills.

Since pens are so subjective, I suggest that you find a refill you like,
first, then look for the pen that it will fit into.

HTH.

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

Old April 29th 08, 05:32 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Evgeny Makarov" wrote in message
Hello,

I tried two Parker medium rollerball refills...

Parker medium rb refills have had a checkered past and were supposed to be
redesigned, but I've been too busy to keep up with that schedule. Is there a
way for you to tell if you got an old one or a new one? Did you keep the
blister card in which the refill was sold? If so, look for the date and
place of manufacture because that's changed over time, too.

OTOH, the fine refills have consistently been among the best. Go figger.

Old April 29th 08, 05:37 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"JimL" wrote in message
On Apr 28, 2:57 pm, Evgeny Makarov wrote:
Hello,

I tried two Parker medium rollerball refills

That has been my experience, also. Perhaps if you tried a medium or
broad tip, instead of fine.

Um, Evgeny DID try the medium.

When did Parker start offering broad refills?

Old April 30th 08, 04:36 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
1100GS_rider

Bluesea wrote:

I've never liked the Parker roller ball, in any width. Scratchy.

How do you feel about the Pilot G2 gel pens? If you like them, the Waterman
bp/rb also accepts the G2 refill.

I've used those refills in Waterman pens. Good color but they blob too
much. More recently I used a Pentel Energel Needle Tip refill in both a
Waterman and a Rotring pen. I like this RB refill better than any of
the others I've used in recent years. I haven't found the refills by
themselves; I bought the cheapest pens I could at Office Max and
scavenged the refills for my good pens.
Old April 30th 08, 08:28 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"1100GS_rider" wrote in message
.. .

I've used those refills in Waterman pens. Good color but they blob too
much. More recently I used a Pentel Energel Needle Tip refill in both a
Waterman and a Rotring pen. I like this RB refill better than any of
the others I've used in recent years. I haven't found the refills by
themselves; I bought the cheapest pens I could at Office Max and
scavenged the refills for my good pens.

Thanks. It's good to know what other refills fit pens.

Old May 2nd 08, 04:27 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Evgeny Makarov

Thanks to everybody for your help.

Do your refills work better when you hold the pen more

vertically?

They do, but this is a very different style of writing for me. I
learned to write in Russia, and sometimes I think that my way of
holding a pen is different from how most people do it in other
countries.

Have you tried the Parker fine?

Not yet, but I'll keep this in mind.

Since pens are so subjective, I suggest that you find a refill you like,

first, then look for the pen that it will fit into.

Good idea.

Is there a way for you to tell if you got an old one or a new one? Did you keep the blister card in which the refill was sold?

No, I don't have the blister. The first refill came with the pen, and
I wrote a complaint about it directly to Sanford. They were nice
enough to send me another refill free of charge (also without the
blister), but it was not much better.

Evgeny
Old May 20th 08, 10:18 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Juan[_2_]

On Apr 29, 6:21*am, "Bluesea" wrote:
[...]

Uniball Signo 207 refils fit many other pens (don't know about Parkers
though), and it is much better than the G2 IMHO.

Juan
Old October 12th 08, 04:05 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Charles

In article
,
Evgeny Makarov wrote:

Hello,

I tried two Parker medium rollerball refills and was very surprised to
find that both of them had an awful scratchy feeling. It's not that
they tore through the paper, of course, but it felt that it was not
the ball only that touched the paper but the metal part around it as
well. As a result, both refills were basically unusable.

I hold the pen at about 45 degree angle. Is it possible that they are
intended to be held more vertically? Or was it just bad luck? Are
there any refillable rollerballs that you could recommend for having
the feel similar to fountain pens?

For what it's worth at this late date, I have had the same experience. I
think it is just a bad design.

Charles