Small problem with an ancient fountain pen

Old August 23rd 08, 09:31 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Serri

Default Small problem with an ancient fountain pen

Hello everyone,
I'm sorry for my english but I'm an italian girl really desperate :P...
an old uncle gave me a really ancient fountain pen. It is a Titania and
its nib is a Titania Osmio in Gold 585... I think this brend ceased to
exist long time ago, but the pen is in perfect condition and I've never
seen a more confortable and beautiful pen. Unfortunately it has got a
problem. I tried on it every kind of ink cartridge I owned
(parker,pellican and aurora), but I didn't find anything good for it.
It's also true that it's 70 or 80 years old... May I could try something
different, but I've no idea... I hope that you could find some good
advice for me... Thanks a lot for everything...

--
Nickname: Serri

Se tracci col gesso una riga sul pavimento, è altrettanto difficile
camminarci sopra che avanzare sulla più sottile delle funi.
Eppure chiunque ci riesce tranquillamente perché non è pericoloso.
Se fai finta che la fune non è altro che un disegno fatto col gesso e
l'aria intorno è il pavimento, riesci a procedere sicuro su tutte le funi.
Ciò che conta è tutto dentro di noi; fuori nessuno può aiutarci.
Non essere in guerra con te stesso: così... tutto diventa possibile, non
solo camminare su una fune, ma anche volare.

PGP key fingerprint: A5A7 6A16 887A C996 EC10 57BA CD06 BC41 AC48 2497
Old August 23rd 08, 05:39 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Serri

Shiva Das ha scritto:
1. Are you sure it is a cartridge pen? An older pen missing its ink sac
can _look_ like a cartridge pen if you pull the section away from the
body and there's nothing inside.

I looked inside the pen and there is nothing inside. It isn't like the
other cartridge pen that I own, and here is the problem.

2. is there any evidence of a filling system such as a lever, turning
knob, sleeve, etc? An eyedropper-fill pen can also look like a cartridge
filler missing its cartridge.

Yes, there is a lever in the back of the pen: when you pull it a foil
inside the pen goes down and opens a passage near the lever, when you
release the lever the body of the pen is hermetically closed.

3. Have you tried both short and long "International" size ink
cartridges?

What do you mean with "International" size? I tried short Pelikan
cartridges that work almost on every type of fountain pen and then I
tried long Parker cartridges, but they don't work.

4. Did you ask your uncle how he used to fill the pen?

My uncle died 40 years ago, when my mother was 6 years old...

Thanks a lot for your kindness...

Old August 23rd 08, 06:26 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Serri" wrote in message
. ..
Shiva Das ha scritto:
[...]

Cartridges like the ones by Pelikan are called standard international
cartridges. They come in short and long sizes. Many companies make them.

Other companies such as Parker make cartridges that are proprietary. They
fit only the pens they make. Sometimes, they'll fit pens made by another
company, but not many other companies like with the standard cartridges.

It sounds to me as though the pen doesn't use cartridges. The lever is used
to fill the pen straight from a bottle of ink.

You are fortunate to have such a wonderful remembrance of your uncle.

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

Old August 23rd 08, 06:39 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Gary R. Leopold

Default Lever fill pen

Bluesea wrote:
"Serri" wrote in message
. ..
Shiva Das ha scritto:
[...]

Here's a link on how to fill lever filling pens. If it has not been
used in many years, you may need to replace the sac. Any pen repair
shop can do this.

http://www.vintagepens.com/filling_i...-fillers.shtml
Old August 25th 08, 08:25 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
J. L. Jones

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 18:39:45 +0200, Serri wrote:

Shiva Das ha scritto:
[...]

Sounds like the lady's got a lever fill. Perhaps if she'll tell us
what part of the world she's in, somebody can direct her to a pen
repair shop where they can install a new bladder and show her how to
fill the pen. Hope that's all it needs.
Old August 26th 08, 03:56 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Serri

Shiva Das ha scritto:
[...]

I live in Parma, a beautiful city in Italy, near Bologna. Yesterday I
went to a pen shop, the best I knew, and the shop assistant told me that
is actually a lever fill pen... that miss its sac! He also said that is
difficult to find the spare part, and suggested me to go in an old pen
shop in Bologna, where perhaps I could find something... If somebody can
help me, I'll be really glad to give ear to everyone... Thanks for the
precious advice you gave me until now...

Serri

--
Nickname: Serri
E-mail:

Old August 29th 08, 06:53 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Drunken Lord[_2_]

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 16:56:45 +0200, Serri wrote:

I live in Parma, a beautiful city in Italy, near Bologna. Yesterday I
went to a pen shop, the best I knew, and the shop assistant told me that
is actually a lever fill pen... that miss its sac! He also said that is
difficult to find the spare part, and suggested me to go in an old pen
shop in Bologna, where perhaps I could find something... If somebody can
help me, I'll be really glad to give ear to everyone... Thanks for the
precious advice you gave me until now...

You could mail it to somebody here in the United States. Richard
Binder on FPN--I'd hate to do business with him myself because he's a
pompous jackass, but I would trust him with my pen. There are plenty
of trustworthy people on FPN who could fix it for you.

An alternative is to fix it yourself. You can probably order that
sac.