About my "Famous Dogs" Half Dollar Redesign idea

Old January 6th 09, 06:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default About my "Famous Dogs" Half Dollar Redesign idea

On Jan 5, 10:45*pm, "Jim Menning" wrote:
wrote in message

Please read my posts, and understand them, before you go bashing them.

I read them. *But once you get your dog fetish coin series, what will the next guy
want?

Well, I have heard of rescue cats being used at Ground Zero after the
World Trade Center collapsed, going into the rubble to find survivors,
I like cats a lot too, but I'm still not convinced that honoring cats
is justfied, since they, nor any other animal species, has served man
nearly as loyal as the dog has. Dogs have served man kind, long enough
to be honored, and since there is actually a statue of Balto in
Central Park, in New York, I'm sure that dog "coins" wouldn't be too
far fetched. Its not like the dog coin series will be going on
forever, and eventually, Kennedy, or maybe even someone else could be
pictured on the new half, after the 9 year dog program. Wouldn't it at
least be interesting, even if you did not like the dog series, to see
what was put on the half, next?
Old January 6th 09, 12:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

"Jon Purkey" wrote in message
On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 22:21:19 GMT, "mazorj"
wrote:

"Jim Menning" wrote in message

"Jon Purkey" wrote in message
On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 23:40:56 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I've been thinking for a while now that, maybe if I do suggest
my
half
doggie dollar legislation, that, maybe I should just suggest
that
the
half dollar coin remain the same size it is, instead of
confusing
people with a smaller one, but I'm not sure.

At this point, I hate to see another coin program. We will
already
have at least another 10 years for the National Parks Quarters.
And
the Presidential Dollars will run until 2016. Plus there are the
4
Lincoln Cents this year and I am not sure how many alternate
Sac.
reverses there will be or for how long?

So while a new and smaller Half Dollar might be nice, any
program
for
Famous Dogs or whatever else should wait until some of the other
programs have ended.

I don't like some of his ideas either. Coins from the US should
actually represent something about our history or ideals. If we
start making dog coins, we will then have to do cat coins,
butterfly
coins, bird coins, tree coins, flower coins, etc. We really
don't
need that kind of crap. It makes us look like those countries
that
strike coins and mint stamps solely for the collector markets,
never
intending them to actually be used as coins or stamps.

I don't (or certainly hope) that our government never actually
considers his ideas. They are just too childish.

Coin coins! A series of quarters memorializing the various forms
of
the penny. Dollars depicting all the nickel issues. Around and
around she goes...

Actually, a series of coins reproducing classic coin desings could
be
interesting. It is certainly more interesting (to me) than the
National Parks series will be.

I can't picture our National Parks being represented very clearly on
a one inch quarter. But I guess I'll be able to before too long.

Well, the smallest one is the Thaddeus Kosciuszko National Memorial.
It's 0.02 acres inside a Philadelphia row house. If it were a square,
it would be less than 30' on a side. That might work. :-D

Old January 6th 09, 12:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

wrote in message

Now think. Have you ever heard of "police butterflys" or "military

trees" or "rescue flowers" etc.

Well, we do have Army homing pigeons, Navy dolphins, seeing-eye pigs,
and coal mine canaries to honor. ;-)

Please read my posts, and understand them, before you go bashing
them.

Where's the fun in that?

Old January 6th 09, 02:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

wrote:

[...]

Okay, that's one....................... Oh, wait a minute. National
MEMORIAL? Is that the same as a National PARK?

Old January 6th 09, 02:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"mazorj" wrote in message

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

I can't picture our National Parks being represented very clearly
on a one inch quarter. But I guess I'll be able to before too
long.

Well, the smallest one is the Thaddeus Kosciuszko National
Memorial. It's 0.02 acres inside a Philadelphia row house. If it
were a square, it would be less than 30' on a side. That might
work. :-D

Okay, that's one....................... Oh, wait a minute.
National MEMORIAL? Is that the same as a National PARK?

I'm sure there's a technical distinction, but google "national parks"
and "smallest" and it's the one that pops up. Maybe the National
Memorials are a special subset of National Parks that don't include
natural resource areas such as forests and lakes, just smaller
swatches of significant areas like battlefields. Coincidentally, the
smallest National Cemetary is not far from us.

Old January 6th 09, 03:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"mazorj" wrote in message

[...]

The ones around here seem to be getting closer to me, too.

Googling further, you would find that Delaware is the only state with no
National Park at all. If the "First State" has gone all this time without
finding anything it deems worthy of being designated a National Park, it may
be too late to suddenly see the light just to have something to show on a
quarter.

Old January 6th 09, 03:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"mazorj" wrote in message

[...]

Maybe they could designate the entire state as a National Memorial to
commemorate its role as the preferred haven for issuers of credit
cards and other companies seeking favorable rules of incorporation.
Or Dow Chemical could lobby for a National Memorial with a "Better
Living Through Chemistry" theme. Or... well, that pretty much
exhausts the list of possibilities.

Delaware definitely needs something of distinction to make it
memorable. Except for the northern corner, 90% of Delaware looks
exactly like what it really is - an extension of the Maryland/Virginia
peninsular farm land, chicken farms, and beaches. If it weren't for
the differences in road signage while driving north, you'd never know
that you had crossed the Maryland state line.

Old January 6th 09, 04:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"mazorj" wrote in message

[...]

I usually use it as a quiet shortcut from Virginia to New Jersey, but once
took summer vacations at Bethany and Rehoboth Beaches.. I always thought
Delaware was most famous as a corporate tax shelter for registering
commercial vessels. I've seen them all around the world-- both pleasure
craft and large commercial vessels-- with "Delaware" on the stern beneath
the name.

Otherwise, yeah, it's one of those states with no state income, sales, or
personal property tax. Not a bad place to retire, if you get away from the
cities.