French Equitorial Africa.

Old June 9th 09, 09:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default French Equitorial Africa.

Opt Type 8 of the French Congo
I cannot see this listed anywhere under FEA,
It exists in Oubangi Shari (Tchad) only.
Any ideas?
http://cjoint.com/data/gjj6vdKYY8.htm

Old June 9th 09, 09:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ryan Davenport

rodney wrote:
Opt Type 8 of the French Congo
I cannot see this listed anywhere under FEA,
It exists in Oubangi Shari (Tchad) only.
Any ideas?
http://cjoint.com/data/gjj6vdKYY8.htm

Cérès lists it under French Congo, Scott lists it under Middle
Congo. The first overprinted stamps listed in Scott under FEA are
originally from Gabon - the second set of overprints listed under FEA
started life as Middle Congo stamps, but that was a later set than the
overprint you have above that is still listed in Middle Congo. Cérès
reverses those sets - the first set is the later Middle Congo (or as
Cérès calls it, French Congo) issue, the second set is the Gabon issue.
What a mess!
Gabon has been in the news the past couple of days, with the death
of President Bongo.

Ryan
Old June 9th 09, 10:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Cheers Ryan,
here is another from my album
http://cjoint.com/data/gjlp0PIfnI.htm.
IIRC I have others but they are on naughty postcards.

I have advice off list and am checking my simplified.
Rod.

Old June 9th 09, 10:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Thanks to Jill
They are listed under "Middle Congo"
I guess that makes sense, when taking into consideration
Fr Congo was divided into 3, and only became part of FWA in 1937.
Issues prior are part of Mid Congo.
All's well that ends well

Old June 9th 09, 03:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

rodney wrote:
Opt *Type 8 of the French Congo
I cannot see this listed anywhere under FEA,
It exists in Oubangi Shari (Tchad) only.
Any ideas?
http://cjoint.com/data/gjj6vdKYY8.htm

* * Cérès lists it under French Congo, Scott lists it under Middle Congo.
The first overprinted stamps listed in Scott under FEA are originally
from Gabon - the second set of overprints listed under FEA started life
as Middle Congo stamps, but that was a later set than the overprint you
have above that is still listed in Middle Congo. *Cérès reverses those
sets - the first set is the later Middle Congo (or as Cérès calls it,
French Congo) issue, the second set is the Gabon issue. What a mess!
* * Gabon has been in the news the past couple of days, with the death of
President Bongo.

* * Ryan

The History of the Republic of the Congo has been marked by French
colonization, a transition to independence, Marxist-Leninism, and the
transition to a market-oriented economy.

The first name given officially on the 1st of August 1886 for the new
colony was Colony of Gabon and Congo. On the 30th of April 1891 this
was renamed Colony of French Congo, consisting of Gabon and Middle
Congo, the name the French gave to Congo-Brazzaville at that time. On
the 15th of January 1910 the colony again was renamed to French
Equatorial Africa (Afrique Equatoriale Française or A.E.F.), this time
it also included Chad and Oubangui-Chari, nowadays the Central African
Republic. Congo-Brazzaville gained autonomy on the November 28, 1958
and independence from France on the August 15, 1960.

Blair
Old June 10th 09, 07:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default Republic of Congo. Was: French Equitorial Africa.

"Blair" wrote in message

The History of the Republic of the Congo has been marked by French
colonization, a transition to independence, Marxist-Leninism, and the
transition to a market-oriented economy.

The first name given officially on the 1st of August 1886 for the new
colony was Colony of Gabon and Congo. On the 30th of April 1891 this
was renamed Colony of French Congo, consisting of Gabon and Middle
Congo, the name the French gave to Congo-Brazzaville at that time. On
the 15th of January 1910 the colony again was renamed to French
Equatorial Africa (Afrique Equatoriale Française or A.E.F.), this time
it also included Chad and Oubangui-Chari, nowadays the Central African
Republic. Congo-Brazzaville gained autonomy on the November 28, 1958
and independence from France on the August 15, 1960.

Just to add some facts, after Wikipedia
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_the_Congo) :

- Modern Slavery. Many Pygmies in Congo live as slaves to Bantu masters

- Civil War. ...Congo's democratic progress was derailed in 1997. ...a
four-month conflict that destroyed or damaged much of Brazzaville and caused
tens of thousands of civilian deaths.

- Civil War + Invasion. In early October, Angolan troops invaded Congo on
the side of Sassou and, in mid-October, the Lissouba government fell. Soon
thereafter, Sassou declared himself President. The Congo Civil War continued
for another year and a half until a peace deal was struck between the
various factions in December 1999.

- The new old time. International observers took issue with the organization
of the presidential election (2002 - VM) as well as the constitutional
referendum, both of which were reminiscent in their organization of Congo's
era of the single-party state.

The last year for which Michel (online) lists stamps for Kongo-Brazzaville
is 2006 (4 sets). The stamp Mi. # 1784, issued on March 14, 2006, is
dedicated to the election of Congo president Denis Sassou-Nguesso as the
president of the African Union. 500 Fr, multicolored, 2.00 Euro mint or
used.

--
Victor Manta, PWO, AIJP

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/