Hello from new member

Old September 18th 05, 02:53 PM
SKT300

Default Hello from new member

Hello to all,

I've been lurking for a couple of months now and have decided to join
the group. My special interest within this ng is Scottish Banknotes.

My wife and I go to Scotland every fall for two weeks. We're leaving
this year on 29 September and destinations this year include Edinburgh
(our favorite city in the world), a night in Oban, two nights each on
Coll and Tiree, and four nights on Islay before returning to Glasgow
for the trip home to Pennsylvania.

I've been thinking about forming a collection of Scottish =A31 notes and
am curious about some reference material and, of course, a source. This
weekend I made the acquaintance of Daryl Spelbring at a local coin
show. Is anyone familiar with him? He had some nice material, but I was
reluctant to make any purchases until I know a bit more about prices
and have a better idea of what sort of collection to form. I'm thinking
a reasonable start might be to obtain a note from each of the various
banks.

I've been watching eBay auctions recently and there seems to be a lot
of interest in Scottish banknotes, although I notice that members of
this group often seem to feel that the bids they're receiving on eBay
are too high. My question would be: Where can I buy those same notes at
the "right" price? Are there any dealers in Edinburgh that I should try
to visit in couple of weeks when I'm there?

Oops, this post is on the verge of turning into a novel, so I'll stop
here. I'm looking forward to being a member of the group and thanks in
advance for any help you can give me.

Scott

Old September 18th 05, 03:12 PM
note.boy

SKT300 wrote:

Hello to all,

I've been lurking for a couple of months now and have decided to join
the group. My special interest within this ng is Scottish Banknotes.

My wife and I go to Scotland every fall for two weeks. We're leaving
this year on 29 September and destinations this year include Edinburgh
(our favorite city in the world), a night in Oban, two nights each on
Coll and Tiree, and four nights on Islay before returning to Glasgow
for the trip home to Pennsylvania.

I've been thinking about forming a collection of Scottish £1 notes and
[...]

I can forward your email address to a collector in Scotland that can offer
notes at below dealer's prices.

Will I do that?

I have corresponded with this Scott via email recently and I don't want to
give dealer's details here as I want to keep some of them quiet. :-)
Billy

Old September 20th 05, 01:04 AM
SKT300

Billy,

I'm not sure what you mean by "Will I do that?"

I'd be happy to correspond with your collector friend in Scotland
should you send my e-mail address to him.

BTW, I did send you an e-mail directly several days ago, but I don't
believe I received a reply. Perhaps Verizon "ate" it. It wouldn't be
the first time.

Scott

note.boy wrote:
SKT300 wrote:
.........Are there any dealers in Edinburgh that I should try
to visit in a couple of weeks when I'm there?

Old September 20th 05, 05:18 PM
note.boy

note.boy wrote:
SKT300 wrote:
.........Are there any dealers in Edinburgh that I should try
to visit in a couple of weeks when I'm there?

I can forward your email address to a collector in Scotland that can offer
notes at below dealer's prices.

Will I do that?

I have corresponded with this Scott via email recently and I don't want to
give dealer's details here as I want to keep some of them quiet. :-)
Billy

I have passed on your email address.

I did reply but it looks like it disappeared into cyberspace. Billy

Old September 21st 05, 02:09 AM
SKT300

Thanks, Billy.

Hopefully I'll be able to establish contact before we leave next week.
There's always next year when we're coming over twice - once in June
with our 7yo grand-daughter and again in the Fall for a week on Islay.

Scott