Who To Believe ???

Old August 28th 10, 05:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

Default Who To Believe ???

Ahhh yes! In college I was the program director of our college radio
station, and a DJ. After graduation I spent a couple years working in
the business, both AM and FM, both as an on-air "radio personality",
and as an "account executive" (fancy word for a salesman.) Advertising
sales is amongst the most difficult of occupations, trying to sell an
intangible product. That is the reason for so many discounts etc for
mentioning the ad, as the client gets to see first hand how many
people are responding to the ad. Radio advertising has an advantage
over the visual media (TV, newspapers) in that most people listen
while in the car, and they can't get up to make a sandwich during the
commercials (captive audience.) It also leaves a lot to the listeners
imagination. If a clothing store advertises a suit in the visual
media, the consumer may or may not like what they see, whereas a radio
listener who is in the market for a suit will probably find something
that they do like when visiting the store. That being said, radio is
show-business, and I got out because of that knife that was stuck in
my back. After 40 years I am also still waiting for my commission
check for advertising that I sold! 8-)

Jud -Owner of a face made for radio-
Old August 28th 10, 07:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter[_6_]

On Aug 28, 12:17*pm, oly wrote:
On Aug 28, 8:15*am, Peter wrote:

On Aug 28, 7:54*am, oly wrote:

I really don't buy TEOTWAKI scenarios. *But I do subscribe to the high
probability of political, military and monetary mischief. *My personal
study of history says that the people who hold tangibles like Gold
have more control of their own destinies, and as for the jolly water
hoarders, while they may have excellent liquidity, the water bugs are
mostly all wet.

oly-

Surely TEOTWAWKI scenarios are not impossible. *They seem unlikely
anytime soon and preparing optimally seems quite speculative.

I suppose that if you really believe that is what is coming and want
to prepare some extreme precautions are worth considering. *Even so,
there are scenarios that are outside of most predictions (e.g., the
Carrington event in 1859 is likely to recur, eventually, and would
render most naive electrical preparations irrelevant).

If you store food and water, you need to consider how attractive
eating stored food will be. *If the event you are preparing for is
delayed, you risk storing spoiled food. *Consequently, you need to
have a plan to refresh inventory.

Among the zealots for similar views are the Mormons. *Among them
Howard Ruff has been studying and offering solutions for many years.
Personally, I don't choose to take his advice, but in case you believe
in TEOTWAWKI scenarios you should at least look at what he suggests.

A Carrington-like event is supposed to occur again tomorrow, or maybe
before I get this posted, according to some solar observers...

oly- Hide quoted text -

Really? http://www.spaceweather.com/ looks pretty quiet.

Is there a link to your source?
Old August 29th 10, 04:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

"Scott Stevenson" wrote:

Bonus call sign Trivia: WGN was founded by the company that owns the
Chicago Tribune, the World's Greatest Newspaper. WSM in Nashville was
started by the National Life & Accident Insurance Company, whose motto
was "We Shield Millions"

I haven't lived in Chicago for a long time, but I still keep a
copy of my Third Class Radiotelephone license. (Alas, I lost
the copy with broadcast endorsement.) A few others I remember:

WLS was founded by Sears, which touted itself as the "World's Largest
Store."
WCFL was started by the Chicago Federation of Labor. (Yes, I was
a Barney Pip listener).
WFLD was owned by Field Communications.
WPGU (Champaign) stood for Parade Grounds Unit. It's unclear if
this is a backformation or not.
WXXXRT -- Playboy Enterprises (April Fool's Joke only).

Known Backformations:
WBBM -- We Broadcast Broadmoor Music/World's Best Battery Maker
(plus that already hinted at).
WFMT -- World's finest music.
WMAQ -- We Must Ask Questions/William A Quinn (one-time owner).
WTTW -- Window To The World

--
Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
Its name is Public opinion. It is held in reverence. It settles