Love/Hate the rOtring Core?

Old May 21st 04, 05:49 PM
Bluesea

Default Love/Hate the rOtring Core?

Do you love or hate the rOtring Core?

At the beginning of this month, I finally broke down and ordered one, a
conservative, non-orange, black & white fine fp. My first thought upon
sliding it out of its box upon its arrival a few days later was, "You've GOT
to be kidding!"

Now, I'd seen pictures of the Core (which is why I resisted ordering one for
so long) so, I had an idea of what to expect. Unfortunately, the photos
didn't adequately prepare me for the shock of seeing one up close &
personal. The cap alone seems twice as wide and twice as heavy as the rest
of the pen. All I could do was gawp at the monstrosity and think that I'd
just store it away as a novelty item.

But, you know what? The days passed and I swear that this loud, upstart of a
pen has grown on me. Refusing to be stashed away, luring me into at least
trying it, it quickly surpassed my Lamy Safari and nipped at the heels of my
Parker Reflex before blowing by. My Phileas and Vanishing Point were saved,
barely, by superior smoothness. Only my beloved Namiki Falcons reign
supreme.

I keep it in the living room on the end table, now, next to the sofa where I
can grab it at will and release random thoughts onto paper while I watch TV.
I admire the light weight, the length and balance, the hard-but-smooth nib,
and overall comfort. Strangely enough, it seems to fit my hand better, the
longer that I use it. I'm seduced to the point that I've ordered another one
with more lively colors. Like red and ORANGE .

An unexpected side effect of this Core experience is that I've also ordered
the bp. I've been waiting for an appealing Sensa gel pen so that I could
have a single comfortable pen to hold my Fisher and Parker bp in addition to
Parker gel refills. By getting a Core bp instead, not only could I have my
pen now, but I also save a bunch of $$.

What do you think?

What color ink(s) do you use in that funky-looking thang? Something
traditional and sober (read: conservative and sedate), or a color that adds
even more sizzle to your Core experience?

Do you carry your Core fp with you? Where/how? I don't want to buy a
backpack for it, but it's not the sort of pen that one can easily stick into
a pocket like a Fisher Bullet pen, either.

--
~~Bluesea~~a new convert

Old May 21st 04, 06:50 PM
Cuba

I just got mine last week, a Technor (the blue/black one), when I saw it on
the website I did think it was a bit out there, I thought the same thing
when it arrived too. But I decided to put my other Rotring aside and use
the Core at work for a day, it was comfortable and easy to write with,
without the cap posted.

The next day I went back to my plain silver metal Rotring, and about 2
minutes into writing, I thought "this pen is so boring, I want some
attitude", unfortunately I had left my Core at home, so I had to be boring
for the rest of the day.

The only thing that bothers me is the cap, too heavy and wide for my liking,
it would be perfect without the bulge and just wider than the pen body and
also a slightly thinner nib (I have the medium, I can't find any fines).
Nevertheless, I just ordered another, the Corridium this time (the black
one).

I use plain old Sheaffer Skrip jet black and carry it in my shirt pocket
when I'm on the move, a little bulky, but it's winter here, so my jacket
covers it up.

I think this pen has made a lot of people think twice about fountain pens
(the good way) and will increase interest and sales among the "normal
people" especially the younger generation. Dammit, I'm 25 and I'm using
phrases like "the younger generation", just for the record, I've been using
fp since I was 16.

Cuba

Old May 21st 04, 06:51 PM
KCat

bluesea wrote:
What do you think?

I think your nuts. But that's okay 'cause all FP people seem to be nuts.

I've considered buying one but they're just too bulky for me.

What color ink(s) do you use in that funky-looking thang? Something
traditional and sober (read: conservative and sedate), or a color that

adds
even more sizzle to your Core experience?

uh oh - where's ms. satrap? Orange ink of course.

If I owned one, I'd probably put Naples blue in it as it seems to beg for a
bright color of some sort. Or one of the new Noodler's inks such as Saguaro
Wine.

Old May 22nd 04, 05:44 AM
Garglemonster

On Fri, 21 May 2004 16:49:52 GMT, "Bluesea"
said:

Bluesea Do you love or hate the rOtring Core?

if it's an either/or question, i gues i hate it. it does have its
good points, though.

--

PEGGY FLEMMING is stealing BASKET BALLS to feed the babies in VERMONT.
Old May 22nd 04, 10:42 PM
Patrick Lamb

Bluesea wrote:
What do you think?

What color ink(s) do you use in that funky-looking thang? Something
traditional and sober (read: conservative and sedate), or a color that adds
even more sizzle to your Core experience?

Bug-ugly.

Aside from that, I just don't like the grip. I don't doubt it's fine
for some people, but I didn't care for it. My daughters loved it for a
while, until they started getting their hands on some more traditional
pens -- I think the colors and designs are wonderful attention-getters
for teenagers.

I liked the nib.

You need something bright to match the pen. PR Orange Crush would be
great; maybe a turquoise, or green, or really bright blue.

Pat
--
Return address works as is.
Old May 23rd 04, 12:12 AM
Jeff Miars

I like mine a lot. I usually swap it with a vintage Touchdown for use
as a daily writer. I'm a large person, so carrying it doesn't seem to
be a problem. I get lots of good reactions; the best being "it looks
like you could take over a bus with that."

Ink? Florida Blue works fine.

Old May 23rd 04, 04:42 PM
Chuck Swisher

If you find you really love them, then you might want to stock up now. Word
from our rep is these pens are being discontinued Rotring. I have one of
the pens that is supposed to replace the Core but I won't even bother
showing it as we won't be selling them :-(

Best wishes,

Chuck Swisher -

Swisher Pens, Inc. -
www.swisherpens.com

Tele: (757) 471-7445, TF: 1-888-340-7367, Fax: (757) 925-2787

Old May 23rd 04, 05:21 PM
john cline ii

"Chuck Swisher" wrote:
| If you find you really love them, then you might want to stock up
now. Word
| from our rep is these pens are being discontinued Rotring. I have
one of
| the pens that is supposed to replace the Core but I won't even bother
| showing it as we won't be selling them :-(
|
| Best wishes,

Oh, my.

I feel for Miss Orange.

She won't be pleased.

john cline ii who says at least now it can be a "classic."

Old May 23rd 04, 07:35 PM
so what

I'm seduced to the point that I've ordered another one with more lively
colors. Like red and ORANGE .

hehehehe :-)

Ink? Purple, red, orange, pink, turquiose, green...anything but black or normal
blue!

Storage: I bought one of those small (4" by 6") Samsonite Worldproof cases;
it's a camera bag, I think. BUT, I put some foam in it and put pens inside.
Stick that in purse or briefcase, and off you go.

Guess I need to buy a few more Core fps!

satrap
:-)
Old May 23rd 04, 11:49 PM
Bluesea

I bought my fine-nibbed black & white Core from you but when I went back to
your website to order the red & orange, I discovered that only medium nibs
remain . Will you be getting any more with fine nibs?

--
~~Bluesea~~

"Chuck Swisher" wrote in message
If you find you really love them, then you might want to stock up now.

Word
from our rep is these pens are being discontinued Rotring. I have one of
the pens that is supposed to replace the Core but I won't even bother
showing it as we won't be selling them :-(

Best wishes,

Chuck Swisher -

Swisher Pens, Inc. -
www.swisherpens.com

Tele: (757) 471-7445, TF: 1-888-340-7367, Fax: (757) 925-2787

Rotring Core with poor ink flow Tommy C. Li Pens & Pencils 10 April 16th 04 08:02 PM
A misbehaving Rotring Core Tommy C. Li Pens & Pencils 3 April 16th 04 07:57 PM
rOtring Co Closeout! so what Pens & Pencils 0 February 2nd 04 09:54 PM
Rotring Skynn kcat Pens & Pencils 4 January 31st 04 02:12 AM
rOtring Renaissance???? David Heverly Pens & Pencils 3 January 19th 04 03:25 AM