Coins to no longer operate rural UK public phones

Old May 20th 06, 01:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Coins to no longer operate rural UK public phones

"Vector" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 May 2006 20:00:43 GMT, "note.boy"
wrote:

It rare now to see a phone box being used as 99% of everyone has a mobile
phone. Billy

I'm a proud holdout, part of your 1%. Even my home phone is wired to
the wall. Have been concerned that wireless=transceiver=not private.
But, heck, the NSA kinda blew my naive impression of security away,
haha. Seriously though, I don't know why I bother paying for phone
service at all ... except the telemarketers need someone to talk with.
I see people walking around and driving around constantly chatting on
their cell phones ... and I feel I am surrounded by madness. Don't
get me wrong, there are people I love to talk with ... just not on the
phone.

Ahh. A (person) after my own heart. I, too, have never owned a cell phone, nor
have I had a desire for one, having been retired now for almost ten years. I'm
usually close enough to home that I'm either there to receive a call, or I can
return one left on my (modern) answering machine. On my senior softball teams
there are so many players with cell phones available that it often sounds like a
fleet of ice cream trucks has arrived when those clever jingle rings go off
during the games. I can always borrow one of these in an emergency. The
prospect of paying an extra $30 a month just to join the 21st century
communications trend turns me off. My meager answering machine is the closest
I've come to tech modernity (aside from this computer) since I invested in a
tape deck with Dolby in the 1970's. Still have that deck.

#1 Cell phone peeve: People at the checkout, talking on the phone
with a line behind them. Don't even try to tell me the checkout is as
fast as if they weren't distracted by their all so important chit
chat. That's just rude.

My own peeve, even more than cell phone rudeness, involves people who supposedly
interact with others while at the same time listen to their favorite music on
their earphones. Talk about rude.

Bruce

Old May 21st 06, 10:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Tony Clayton wrote:

Our village phone box and phone was saved by being listed! However, a
coin-less system was installed there also ages ago.

Over here in Germany most public phones are operated by T-Com, and their
newer public phones accept pretty much everything - coins (except for
the "copper" pieces, I think), the older chip-based phone cards, and
calling cards.

What is interesting IMO is that instead of "cards only" public phones,
which used to dominate for a while, there is now a mix including very
basic models (which do not even have coin or card slots but allow 0800
and 00800 calls only) and coin/card phones in well frequented areas,
e.g. near major train stations or tourist attractions. After all, if
somebody uses a calling card and a toll-free number, there will be no
revenue for the company that operates the phone. With coins, however ...

Christian