Poll: Single Year Collections From Hell

Old July 12th 03, 10:40 PM
John Patrick

Default Poll: Single Year Collections From Hell

Earlier, I was speaking with a fellow numismatist coworker,
and we were talking about single date/all mint collections.

I mentioned that I'd hate to have to start a 1916 collection:
1916-D Merc and the 1916 SLQ are in that set. Since he's a
Walking Liberty guy, he informed me that the 1916 WLHs aren't
a walk in the park themselves, although easier on the pocket-
book than the Merc and SLQ.

I then thought of 1909, with both IHCs, and four Lincolns,
with the S-mint varieties (three of them) being keys.

Can anyone else come up with some other Single Year Collections
From Hell (SYCFH)? I don't consider illicitly made coins to
count for this, so 1804, 1913, and 1933 shouldn't count.

Of course, pretty much any year set prior to 1800 will be hard.

Anyone else come up with some?

Anyone out there attempting something like this?

John
--
John Patrick -- N9OU
Team Saber Competitive Robotics

Old July 13th 03, 04:01 AM
JSTONE9352

Can anyone else come up with some other Single Year Collections
From Hell (SYCFH)? I don't consider illicitly made coins to
count for this, so 1804, 1913, and 1933 shouldn't count.

Maybe 1894. you have the 1894-S
dime (the huge stopper). The other 1894 dimes are not huge rarities but fairly
scarce. The nickel and quarters are not a biggie but the Barber halves are at
least
semi keys. The 1894 Philly dollar is
rather pricey but not impossible. The gold
coins are rather average for their series.
The Indian cent is not a biggie but one
of the better dates for the 1890s.

The 1894-S dime alone would put this year in the "hell" category but even
without that coin it is still respectfully difficult.
Old July 13th 03, 04:08 AM
John Baumgart

Not thinking about gold for a moment, there's 1921 (full of tough coins),
1873, and 1870, which should all provide quite the challenge. Much easier
is 1816.

John Baumgart

"John Patrick" wrote in message
news
Earlier, I was speaking with a fellow numismatist coworker,
and we were talking about single date/all mint collections.

I mentioned that I'd hate to have to start a 1916 collection:
1916-D Merc and the 1916 SLQ are in that set. Since he's a
Walking Liberty guy, he informed me that the 1916 WLHs aren't
a walk in the park themselves, although easier on the pocket-
book than the Merc and SLQ.

I then thought of 1909, with both IHCs, and four Lincolns,
with the S-mint varieties (three of them) being keys.

Can anyone else come up with some other Single Year Collections
From Hell (SYCFH)? I don't consider illicitly made coins to

Old July 13th 03, 04:20 AM
David Hollister

Anyone else come up with some?

I'm trying for 1793 and boy that year has set me back a few 'pennies' so far
:0)

"John Patrick" wrote in message
news
Earlier, I was speaking with a fellow numismatist coworker,
and we were talking about single date/all mint collections.

I mentioned that I'd hate to have to start a 1916 collection:
1916-D Merc and the 1916 SLQ are in that set. Since he's a
Walking Liberty guy, he informed me that the 1916 WLHs aren't
a walk in the park themselves, although easier on the pocket-
book than the Merc and SLQ.

I then thought of 1909, with both IHCs, and four Lincolns,
with the S-mint varieties (three of them) being keys.

Can anyone else come up with some other Single Year Collections
From Hell (SYCFH)? I don't consider illicitly made coins to

Old July 13th 03, 05:31 AM
Ken Barr

In article , "John
Patrick" wrote:

Earlier, I was speaking with a fellow numismatist coworker,
and we were talking about single date/all mint collections.

I mentioned that I'd hate to have to start a 1916 collection:
1916-D Merc and the 1916 SLQ are in that set. Since he's a
Walking Liberty guy, he informed me that the 1916 WLHs aren't
a walk in the park themselves, although easier on the pocket-
book than the Merc and SLQ.

I then thought of 1909, with both IHCs, and four Lincolns,
with the S-mint varieties (three of them) being keys.

Can anyone else come up with some other Single Year Collections
From Hell (SYCFH)? I don't consider illicitly made coins to
count for this, so 1804, 1913, and 1933 shouldn't count.

Of course, pretty much any year set prior to 1800 will be hard.

Anyone else come up with some?

1927 can be quite spensive if you include the dubble iggles ...

--
Ken Barr Numismatics
P. O. Box 32541 website:
Old July 13th 03, 06:13 AM
Byron L. Reed

Care to try 1873?

BLReed

Remove the "R_E_M_O_V_E" from the email address to reply directly.
Cool things: http://www.byronreed.com/byrons_collections/default.htm
Talk bust coins: http://www.byronreed.com/phpBB2/index.php
Old July 13th 03, 06:12 PM
John Patrick

JSTONE9352 wrote:
Maybe 1894.

[SNIP]
The 1894-S dime alone would put this year in the "hell" category
but even without that coin it is still respectfully difficult.

Hmm. Not being very familiar with the 1894-S dime, is this in the
same category as the 1913 Liberty Nickel, being an illicitly made
coin? Or was there some other reason that the 1894-S dime had
such a infitesimal mintage?

John

Old July 13th 03, 06:21 PM
John Patrick

John Baumgart wrote:
Not thinking about gold for a moment, there's 1921 (full of tough
coins), 1873, and 1870, which should all provide quite the challenge.
Much easier is 1816.

John Baumgart

Hmm. The 1921-S nickel isn't all that rare, although pricey. The two
1921 Merc dimes, while scarce, aren't in the same league as the 16-D
Merc. The 1921 SLQ is pricey, but available. I didn't realize that
the 1921 WLH series was all that difficult. Those are some low
mintages.
I don't think the 1921 Morgan series is difficult, but the 1921 high
relief Peace is (slightly ) harder. I think 1921 is more of a "a lot
of coins team up to make it more difficult" year collection.

Now, 1873 was also brought up by Byron Reed. And _THIS_ I think is the
Mother Of All SYCFHs (MOAS?). Wow. Two different varieties of dimes
through halves, with the CC mints being extremely pricey, sometimes
with only a few known. OUCH.

1873 (and 1870, 1871, and 1872) all have those wonderfully rare CC
mints. This makes me think that a Single Mint/All Year and Coin
collection from the venerable CC would be the toughest collection
of all.

I wonder how many attempt the "All CC" collection....

John

Old July 14th 03, 12:42 AM
Byron L. Reed

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:34:39 GMT, Michael Benveniste wrote:

Care to try 1873?

BLReed

Are you including the alleged 1873-S No Arrows Halves and 1873-S
dollars in that? If so, you win.

Well, of course and also all the open- and closed-three varieties.

Don't forget the gold, too.

Old July 14th 03, 01:53 AM
Bruce Remick

John Patrick wrote:

I wonder how many attempt the "All CC" collection....

Now you've done it, John. I'm calling my mortgage broker tomorrow.
Since I'm not missing any "CC" half cents, cents, two cents, or three
cents, I might as well go for a complete CC type set.

Bruce