PCGS Secure Plus

Old March 30th 10, 10:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

Default PCGS Secure Plus

Did anyone notice the teaser blurb for PCGS's "new" SecurePlus service?
http://www.pcgs.com/secureplus.html

Quoting:
Imagine a world without coin doctoring. Imagine a world without
"gradeflation."

It seems to me the whole idea behind "plus" grading is to get people
to resubmit their coins so they can get that precious "plus." So
a PCGS MS-64 coin may magically change grade and become a PCGS
MS-64+ coin. But of course, PCGS won't regrade an MS-65 as an
MS-64+, because then they'd have to pay out the difference.

Isn't that the very definition of "gradeflation?"

Then there's the CAC sticker to consider. So now we're going to
have MS-64, MS-64 CAC, MS-64+, and MS-64+ CAC, plus another
style of holder for sellers and buyers to disagree over.

Grumble, grumble, buy the coin, grumble grumble...

--
Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
Its name is Public opinion. It is held in reverence. It settles

Old March 30th 10, 11:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Michael Benveniste wrote:
Did anyone notice the teaser blurb for PCGS's "new" SecurePlus
service? http://www.pcgs.com/secureplus.html

Quoting:
Imagine a world without coin doctoring. Imagine a world without
"gradeflation."

It seems to me the whole idea behind "plus" grading is to get people
to resubmit their coins so they can get that precious "plus." So
a PCGS MS-64 coin may magically change grade and become a PCGS
MS-64+ coin. But of course, PCGS won't regrade an MS-65 as an
MS-64+, because then they'd have to pay out the difference.

Isn't that the very definition of "gradeflation?"

Then there's the CAC sticker to consider. So now we're going to
have MS-64, MS-64 CAC, MS-64+, and MS-64+ CAC, plus another
style of holder for sellers and buyers to disagree over.

Grumble, grumble, buy the coin, grumble grumble...

New rule: Virtually Flawless 1963 Franklin Half Dollar, MS67+ PQ CAC, Very,
Very Choice, Fully Struck and Brilliant, High End for the Grade, Sure to
Please the Most Fussy and Discriminating Collector, Great Candidate for MS68
or Even Higher, A Numismatic Treasure for the Connoisseur, Hurry, This Coin
Will Not Last Long

James the Collector of G06 Coppers

Old March 30th 10, 11:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Scurvy Dog

"Michael Benveniste" wrote in message
Did anyone notice the teaser blurb for PCGS's "new" SecurePlus service?
http://www.pcgs.com/secureplus.html

Quoting:
Imagine a world without coin doctoring. Imagine a world without
"gradeflation."
It seems to me the whole idea behind "plus" grading is to get people
to resubmit their coins so they can get that precious "plus." So
a PCGS MS-64 coin may magically change grade and become a PCGS
MS-64+ coin. But of course, PCGS won't regrade an MS-65 as an
MS-64+, because then they'd have to pay out the difference.

Isn't that the very definition of "gradeflation?"

Then there's the CAC sticker to consider. So now we're going to
have MS-64, MS-64 CAC, MS-64+, and MS-64+ CAC, plus another
style of holder for sellers and buyers to disagree over.

Grumble, grumble, buy the coin, grumble grumble...

"What does PCGS Secure Plus do for your coins? Two extremely important things -
it builds confidence (Secure), and adds value (Plus). PCGS Secure Plus achieves
these goals with:
a.. More precise and consistent grading
b.. Improved detection of altered coins
c.. Less chance of "gradeflation""
I thought the purpose of TPGs was to privide "precise and consistent grading".
SIlly me.
This seems like nothing more than PCGS trying to put CAC out of business and
squeeze another few bucks out of collectors.

Old April 1st 10, 09:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

On Mar 30, 6:34*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
Michael Benveniste wrote:
[...]

Oh crap, now they will have to make a bigger slab, just too fit all of
that on the label.
Old April 2nd 10, 01:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
reality

On Mar 30, 2:57*pm, "Michael Benveniste" wrote:
[...]

It's just an attempt by PCGS to steal CAC's thunder and generate more $
$$ to them instead of CAC. If PCGS merely did the jobs that they were
paid to do in the first place, then this nonsense would not be an
issue.
Old April 3rd 10, 12:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

"sgt23" wrote:

Oh crap, now they will have to make a bigger slab, just too fit all of
that on the label.

Well, the last slabbed token I purchased came in an ~4"x8" NGC
oversized holder, so the grading services are ready if you are.

Old April 9th 10, 05:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

On Apr 2, 7:12*pm, "Michael Benveniste" wrote:
"sgt23" wrote:
Oh crap, now they will have to make a bigger slab, just too fit all of
that on the label.

Well, the last slabbed token I purchased came in an ~4"x8" NGC
oversized holder, so the grading services are ready if you are.

--
Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
Its name is Public opinion. *It is held in reverence. *It settles
everything. *Some think it is the voice of God. -- Mark Twain

Before long the slabs will come with label booklet or a LCD screen.
That will be a fun time of trying too figure out how to replace the
batteries. lol
Old April 9th 10, 05:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"sgt23" wrote:
Oh crap, now they will have to make a bigger slab, just too fit all
of that on the label.

Well, the last slabbed token I purchased came in an ~4"x8" NGC
oversized holder, so the grading services are ready if you are.

--
Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
Its name is Public opinion. It is held in reverence. It settles
everything. Some think it is the voice of God. -- Mark Twain

Before long the slabs will come with label booklet or a LCD screen.
That will be a fun time of trying too figure out how to replace the
batteries. lol

Maybe they will be solar powered. Or better yet, run off brain radiation.

James the Telekinetic