The new Boy Scout Silver Dollar from the US Mint? Why a girl?

Old March 19th 10, 02:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bones

Default The new Boy Scout Silver Dollar from the US Mint? Why a girl?

On Mar 19, 1:21*am, MKW wrote:
Can someone tell me again why there is a female featured on the Boy
Scout silver dollar? *

You should note that BSA does not have a problem with the coin, and so
why should you. But, here have been females involved with the "Boy
Scouts" for a LONG time.
Examples:
Explorer Posts can, and do, have female members.
Den Mothers are a vitally important part of the Cub Scout system.
When a scout earns the Eagle Badge, it is typically his MOTHER that
presents him with the award.
Girls have sued for, and won, the right to be part of Scout Troops --
not common, but it does happen.

For these reasons, and more, "Boy Scouts" have called themselves
"Scouts" for more than 30 years. Basically, if it were not for the
involvement and support of females, there would be not such thing as
Scouting.
Old March 19th 10, 03:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

Looks to me as if the committee chose to depict the reality of scouting as
it is in 2010.

I'll accept that they depict _a_ possible reality. A statistically
unlikely one, especialy once you take Ethnic Involvement figures
into account, but _a_ reality nonetheless.

--
Michael Benveniste -- (Clarification required)
"The hippies wanted peace and love. We wanted Ferraris, blondes and

Old March 19th 10, 03:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Michael Benveniste wrote:

Looks to me as if the committee chose to depict the reality of
scouting as it is in 2010.

I'll accept that they depict _a_ possible reality. A statistically
unlikely one, especialy once you take Ethnic Involvement figures
into account, but _a_ reality nonetheless.

Depicting *the* reality would require a much larger coin, maybe one of those
gigantor gold things like the Canadians are producing!

James, Living Large and Thinking Big

Old March 19th 10, 03:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Bones" wrote in message
On Mar 19, 1:21 am, MKW wrote:
[...]

===========

Aside from spawning sons, it's a stretch to claim that there would be no
such thing as scouting without the involvement and support of females. Few
would discount the support moms give their sons, but then moms aren't
considered "Scouts" per se and would not likely be represented by the figure
depicted on the coin in question. Most moms support all types of activities
and goals of their sons and daughters equally. They typically served as den
mothers for young Cub Scouts largely because the dad's were working while
afternoon meetings were held. The dads I knew provided most of their their
support in the evenings and on weekends. IMO, having been a cub and boy
scout back when kids handled knives and guns without parents having heart
failure, I would not expect the design of a coin celebrating the history of
the Boy Scouts to feature a female on it. On the other hand, a coin noting
the "progress" of the Boy Scouts as it exists today might, and apparently
does.

Old March 19th 10, 06:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:41:28 -0400, "Bruce Remick"
wrote:

"Bones" wrote in message
On Mar 19, 1:21 am, MKW wrote:
[...]

Perhaps the design should include an official of the Scouts barring
the door to gays, agnostics, and atheists so the coin would really
reflect the BSA's policies.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old March 19th 10, 07:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

wrote:

"Bones" wrote in message
On Mar 19, 1:21 am, MKW wrote:
[...]

Not necessary. Just a Boy Scout and Cub Scout. All the coin needs to
reflect is the light.

Old March 19th 10, 07:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote:

"Bones" wrote in message
On Mar 19, 1:21 am, MKW wrote:
[...]

They only bar the door to professing gays, agnostics, and atheists. I am
sure there are plenty of each closeted within BSA ranks, just as in the
general population. But, why bring that up? Oops, I just did. Oh, well.

James the Agitator

Old March 19th 10, 07:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote:

"Bones" wrote in message
On Mar 19, 1:21 am, MKW wrote:
[...]

Is that a deep cameo proof CAC PQ reflection, or just a low-end MS60 level
reflection that you're hoping for?

James On Topic
'I personally like to use my coins as shaving mirrors'

Old March 19th 10, 08:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

wrote:

"Bones" wrote in message
On Mar 19, 1:21 am, MKW wrote:
[...]

Most anything would be acceptable as long as it's not a reflection on me.
For some reason, I still have my 1951 BSA registration card which features a
Rockwell-type picture of a Cub Scout, Boy Scout, and what I presume is a Sea
Scout on the front. Maybe the 2010 equivalent registration card includes
some other folks, unless the whole process is done online now. Imagine
teaching young Cubs how to trap and skin animals today. There go the den
mothers.

Old March 19th 10, 08:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote:

"Bones" wrote in message
On Mar 19, 1:21 am, MKW wrote:
[...]

Norman Rockwell's world exists only in our dreams. Very pleasant dreams,
but dreams nevertheless. The real world of his era was nastier than most
people imagine.

James, in Deep Reverie