(RCSD) India~ephemera ID.

Old August 19th 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

Default (RCSD) India~ephemera ID.

I found these at the bottom of a phossick
box I won at auction.
There are about 500 dated from 1918
to 1939
http://cjoint.com/data/iteKrUNIeN.htm

These are letterheads, why they are retained beats
me, but I'd like to know the state to which the arms
belongs to, any idea?
http://cjoint.com/data/itePurrqsi.htm

Thanks

Old August 19th 07, 07:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Aug 18, 10:42 pm, Rod wrote:
I found these at the bottom of a phossick
box I won at auction.
There are about 500 dated from 1918
to 1939http://cjoint.com/data/iteKrUNIeN.htm

These are letterheads, why they are retained beats
me, but I'd like to know the state to which the arms
belongs to, any idea?http://cjoint.com/data/itePurrqsi.htm

Thanks

These are not letterheads. They are "stamped papers"
which are purchased by one of the parties to a legal
transaction (eg property sale). The paper contains a
revenue stamp imprint which covers the stamp tax
on that transaction. The legal document is then written
on the stamped paper. A stamped paper's validity
expires in six months if you do not use it.

These are traditionally collected as completed
documents and not as cut out stamps.

The Stamped Paper was a sheet of paper on which the
"stamp" was printed or embossed. These stamped papers
are fascinating items to collect - not only for the "Stamp"
but also for the details of the document written on them
- a legal agreement, a court action or some fascinating
aspect of the lives of the people involved. Most of these
court documents are written in Urdu or Hindi script - so
there is much interesting reading for you if you can read
and understand either of these languages.

The Stamped Papers are large and impressive documents
to have in your collection, and the Court Fee stamps are
also large : often 10 cm by 5 cm. Much larger than normal
postage stamps and impressive items in a collection.

While executing any document outside India meant
for use in that country Indian stamps are not used.
When instruments are executed outside India, they
can be stamped by payment of appropriate stamp
duty later in India by cash. For example, if a power
of attorney is signed in New York before a Notary
on a plain paper, the same can be presented before
the concerned registering officer in India by the agent for
authentication. The registrar will collect the stamp duty
payable in India by cash and authenticate the deed.
It should be done within three months after it is first
received in India.

What happens with unused stamp papers?

Such stamp papers can be submitted to the Collector
of Stamps for refund. There will not be full refund.
About10 per cent will be deducted.

Bangladesh Specimen stamped paper :
http://friends.peoria.lib.il.us/comm...opREVpAPER.jpg

India - Alwar State
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/SSEAL/alwar.gif

India - Bundi state
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/SSEAL/bundi.gif

India - Indargarh state
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/SSEAL/indarg.gif

India - Udaipur state (Chitrakot)
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/SSEAL/udaipur.gif

THE INDIAN STAMP ACT, 1899
http://punjabrevenue.nic.in/indian_stamp1.htm#the

Blair

Old August 19th 07, 08:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

On Aug 19, 2:34 pm, "Blair (TC)" wrote:

These are not letterheads. They are "stamped papers"

Thanks Blair,
on some of the early stamps, the paper is
fascinatingly primitive.
I noticed some "splodges" on some of the documents
which turned out to be thumbprints, there is one on your
example of Indargarh state paper.

I can assume via the arms, that these are Bundi state papers.

Old August 19th 07, 10:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

On Aug 19, 12:42 pm, Rod wrote:
I found these at the bottom of a phossick
box I won at auction.
There are about 500 dated from 1918
to 1939http://cjoint.com/data/iteKrUNIeN.htm

These are letterheads, why they are retained beats
me, but I'd like to know the state to which the arms
belongs to, any idea?http://cjoint.com/data/itePurrqsi.htm

Thanks

Purely on the basis of the languages used, the first item is probably
from Hyderabad. The arms on the second look like those of Bundi, but
then, many of the State arms look rather similar.

Here is the business part of a stamped paper from the Indian state of
Barwani:
http://cjoint.com/?itk3ujEomb

And here are Barwani Court Fee and Writing Fee stamps used on a
document:
http://cjoint.com/?itlfmKsDEc

Tony Mac Gillycuddy

Old August 20th 07, 02:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

"Blair (TC)" wrote in message
s.com...
| These are not letterheads. They are "stamped papers"
| which are purchased by one of the parties to a legal
| transaction (eg property sale). The paper contains a
| revenue stamp imprint which covers the stamp tax
| on that transaction.

As a historical note, these are the type of Stamp Act 'stamps' which help
precipitate the American Revolution (or Rebellion, from the British view).
Of course, our own government later decided that revenue stamps on
documents were not such a bad idea after all.

I very much enjoyed your informative answer.

tjr

Rangoon, Burma - India Abroad - Cancels On India Stamps - Scan Included [email protected] General Discussion 7 May 17th 05 05:53 PM
Travel Ephemera Russ Books 0 February 1st 05 09:43 PM
$$$ : British India and Gulf India notes for sale Varshney, Anurag Paper Money 0 March 16th 04 05:12 AM
Pen Ephemera Speebob Pens & Pencils 0 October 16th 03 02:55 AM