Bluenose - A National Symbol of Canada

Old August 12th 03, 11:32 PM
A.M.Heindorff

Default Bluenose - A National Symbol of Canada

The philatelic art of stamp engraving being one of my
main collecting areas, the beauty of the engraved stamp
depicting "Bluenose" has always fascinated me.

Recently I have made a webpage about the story and
facts about this famous schooner that was built 1921
in Lunenburg in Nova Scotia, and which has become a
national symbol of Canada to appear on both postage
stamps and coins.

http://w1.1429.telia.com/~u142900356...daBluenose.htm

I hope you will enjoy the page, and comments are
welcome. :-)

Mette
--
Ann Mette Heindorff
amhstamps (at) adr dot dk

Old August 13th 03, 12:56 AM
Bruce

[posted and mailed]

Thus quoth "A.M.Heindorff" in news:bhbprr$10hhsd$1@ID-
137480.news.uni-berlin.de:

http://w1.1429.telia.com/~u142900356...daBluenose.htm

Mette,

Very well done indeed! I've always loved sailing ships, though the closest
I ever came to one was seeing the Bluenose on an occasional Canadian dime.
I learned some of her story 10-20 years ago, and have wanted to learn more
over the years. This site proved a wonderful first stop. Many thanks.

--
Bruce -- Harper Blue

"A nail in the wall is better than two in the foot."

Monster House -- Zen House
Old August 13th 03, 02:24 AM
TC

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 00:32:13 +0200, "A.M.Heindorff"
wrote:

The philatelic art of stamp engraving being one of my
main collecting areas, the beauty of the engraved stamp
depicting "Bluenose" has always fascinated me.

Recently I have made a webpage about the story and
facts about this famous schooner that was built 1921
in Lunenburg in Nova Scotia, and which has become a
national symbol of Canada to appear on both postage
stamps and coins.

http://w1.1429.telia.com/~u142900356...daBluenose.htm

I hope you will enjoy the page, and comments are
welcome. :-)

Mette

Well done, as usual Mette.

I never sailed on Bluenose I but have stood
on the deck of the Bluenose II.
http://explore.gov.ns.ca/morephotos/...waterfront.jpg
http://www.downtoearth.ca/images/art...The-Strait.jpg

Each time I look at my copy
of Scott #158, I fondly remember it.

Blair

Old August 14th 03, 02:08 AM
Bob Watson

http://w1.1429.telia.com/~u142900356...daBluenose.htm

Lovely stamp; lovely page.

I get real pleasure looking at pictures of those magnificent boats -
yes, the America's Cup yachts, too - and reading your page brought a
tear to my eye.

I find it hard to believe just how tough those guys (and very occasional
girls) were.

Incidentally, there was a Canadian stamp (Scott #1228) issued in 1988 to
honour Angus Walters.

From the Canada P.O. blurb:

"Angus Walters was born in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia in 1882. He began his
long association with the sea by sailing and fishing on his father's
ship, and then on ships of his own. In 1921, Walters became managing
owner of the Bluenose. With this exceptional schooner he won numerous
racing events, including in 1938 the International Fisherman's Trophy.
In 1933 he sailed the Bluenose to Chicago for the World's Fair, and to
England two years later for King George V's Silver Jubilee. After nearly
fifty years before the mast, Walters retired from the sea soon after the
Bluenose was sold in 1942. He pursued a successful second career as a
dairy farmer and died in Lunenburg in 1968."
[I would question the use of the term "before the mast" in this
context!]

All the best,
Bob Watson
Old August 14th 03, 07:41 AM
Toke Nørby

"A.M.Heindorff" wrote:

...snip
http://w1.1429.telia.com/~u142900356...daBluenose.htm

Again - a very nice page, Mette!

--
Mvh Toke
http://www.norbyhus.dk/
Old August 14th 03, 02:42 PM
Ann Mette Heindorff

Bob Watson wrote in message

http://w1.1429.telia.com/~u142900356...daBluenose.htm

Lovely stamp; lovely page.

I get real pleasure looking at pictures of those magnificent boats -
yes, the America's Cup yachts, too - and reading your page brought a
tear to my eye.

I find it hard to believe just how tough those guys (and very occasional
girls) were.

Incidentally, there was a Canadian stamp (Scott #1228) issued in 1988 to
honour Angus Walters.

Thanks Bob :-) When going through the stamp collection I
have inherited, I have completely overlooked this stamp. It
is now online in the right context ;-)

From the Canada P.O. blurb:

"Angus Walters was born in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia in 1882. He began his
long association with the sea by sailing and fishing on his father's
ship, and then on ships of his own. In 1921, Walters became managing
owner of the Bluenose. With this exceptional schooner he won numerous
racing events, including in 1938 the International Fisherman's Trophy.
In 1933 he sailed the Bluenose to Chicago for the World's Fair, and to
England two years later for King George V's Silver Jubilee. After nearly
fifty years before the mast, Walters retired from the sea soon after the
Bluenose was sold in 1942. He pursued a successful second career as a
dairy farmer and died in Lunenburg in 1968."
[I would question the use of the term "before the mast" in this
context!]

:-)))))

Mette

funny joke about coins [email protected] Coins 5 December 20th 04 01:02 AM
++ FS: Be a Player Show Cards (BAP SHOW ) ++ Hockey Direct Hockey 2 December 7th 04 11:40 AM
++ FS: BAP Show Cards - 250+ (Starting at $2!!) ++ Hockey Direct Hockey 1 December 7th 04 11:40 AM
auction 219 update VernsCards Baseball 0 September 22nd 04 01:38 AM
FS - Some 1991 Topps cards The Dogger Baseball 0 November 6th 03 07:42 AM