Russian dealers??????

Old August 6th 03, 03:28 AM
Dakota

Default Russian dealers??????

Does anyone here know of a "GOOD" dealer of Russian issues?

I'm seeking MNH prior to 1939!

I've sent off inquiries to about 8 dealers (enclosing a $1.00) for
postage. Yesterday I received my first reply - and the guy wants
$50.00 for his price list.

It's been a long time since I sent off for a price list - so I guess
he is in the ballpark?? I've sent him a check for $50.00 - but kinda
wonder if there may be other dealers out there who don't charge so
much. He may have wonderful stuff - but I'd be more comfortable with
someone who offers the same material but with a price list cost of
under $20.00.

Fifty bucks is a lot of moolah!!!!

Anybody?

Handshakes,

Dakota
Old August 6th 03, 05:02 AM
Bob Ingraham

Try Loral, http://www.russianstamps.com. I was pleased with their service
several years ago.

Bob

Old August 7th 03, 12:09 AM
Albumen

Ditto that.

I have Siegel's full color, 250 page, 2003 Rarities of the World Catalog,
which costs zero dollars.

You gotta watch some of these foreign dealers like a hawk. When I was in
Hong Kong a stamp dealer/auctioneer accepted my bid form, but with the
stipulation that I *pay* for my bids beforehand. Of course he promised to
return my money and/or the stamps depending on how the bidding went, and of
course I never heard from him again.

-a

I agree with Tracy here - BAD move!

There should only be a small charge for a stocklist,
usually enough to cover international postage rate!

The only exception I have found is a Subscription
for, say, 6 monthly editions.

David.

Old August 7th 03, 01:51 AM
Dakota

Fifty bucks is a lot of moolah!!!!

I wouldn't pay anything for a price list. It's their cost of doing
business.

Tracy Barber

I gotta come clean here - I really don't know what the $50 was for.
The guy I got the letter from is a dealer in Russia.

He wrote his letter in Cyrillic - I can read the alphablet but outside
of Da and Nyet I'm lost. Oh yeah, I usually understand Vodka!!!! I
have a dictionary however and spent a long time translating - and it
made no earthly sense to me.

Per boB's suggestion I'd already tried Loral - I even sent a buck to
pay for their postage costs - but they never replied.

I tried Joe Luft's page but golly I found a lot of dead links. I
wonder how often he updates it?

As for you Mr. Barber - you nefarious sculpoon - I've got another
bunch of stamps for your Freebie Project - and I still have that chunk
of Belgian RR's that I've promised you for oh, how long? Mebbe a
year! I gotta get my butt in gear and get those out to you!

Handshakes,

Dakota
Old August 7th 03, 03:53 PM
Michael Meadowcroft

Dear Dakota

I gotta come clean here - I really don't know what the $50 was for.
The guy I got the letter from is a dealer in Russia.

Seems very odd, but I have _some_ sympathy with Russian dealers who
are struggling to make a living in the midst of a roller coaster
economy. In Moscow the Russian Philatelic Federation occupies a big
old building in the centre of the city. It is a rabbit warren of a
building with dealers in every room and a fascinating - and large -
library.

I'm not a Russia collector but you might try the following UK
dealers:

Dragan Udovicic
at Euro-Yu, London

John Barefoot, in York

The following PTS members advertise that they sell Russia:

Cover Story Ltd, London

Trevor Pateman, Brighton

Good luck!

Michael Meadowcroft
Michael Meadowcroft
Waterloo Lodge
72 Waterloo Lane
Leeds LS13 2JF
GB
Tel: +44 (0)113 257 6232

Old August 8th 03, 11:22 PM
John Ray

Albumen wrote:

You gotta watch some of these foreign dealers like a hawk.

Can I assume from this that all US-based dealers are scrupulously
honest?

--
John Ray, London UK.

Mail to mefp49 is unlikely to be read. I can be contacted at xcf70 (same
ISP).
Old August 9th 03, 04:41 AM
Tracy Barber

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 23:22:45 +0100, John Ray
wrote:

Albumen wrote:

You gotta watch some of these foreign dealers like a hawk.

Can I assume from this that all US-based dealers are scrupulously
honest?

No, but you have one over there right now who's notorious for losing
at least 1 $2000 batch of approvals from just about everyone he's sent
to. Initials: DB. Moved to GB from France. Maybe found some more
crooks? :^P

Tracy Barber
Old August 10th 03, 06:59 PM

Surely you jest !!!!