Summer ANA's to Stall in Chicago

Old April 10th 10, 03:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Nick Knight

Default Summer ANA's to Stall in Chicago

Did anyone notice the ANA press release announcing that they are going to
have the summer ANA shows in Chicago permanently after the current schedule
is complete (which includes one Chicago show anyway)? I haven't seen any
comments, but perhaps we're too busy chit-chatting (or perhaps only the
killfiled chit-chatters have commented??? .

http://www.money.org/AM/Template.cfm...entDisplay.cfm

Ok, so it doesn't say permanently, but at least for 3 years in a row
starting 2013, with the insinuation that they think that fixing the location
would be beneficial to the show, pointing to the success of the FUN show in
Orlando and the Baltimore shows.

Personally, I loved the opportunity to visit different cities and their
surrounding areas while travelling to ANA shows, places that I might not
have otherwise thought to visit. My first summer ANA was actually in
Chicago (1999), and excluding the LA show which I reluctantly decided to
skip, I have attenended every year after that.

We (I drag my girlfriend to these, and she actually collects coins now) also
have attended a couple of spring shows. However, these shows are shorter
and sometimes not at the best times for our idea of a trip. For example,
spring in Portland sounded attractive, but reading up on the NW National
Parks in the area, snow was still a possible barrier in March. We passed.
We did travel to Charlotte and Phoenix, and plan to attend Sacremento next
spring. Fortunately, the spring shows will still rotate, and they may add a
fall show. It may be that we end up going to more of these in the future.

Chicago is a 6 hour drive from me. This is short enough for me that flying
isn't necessary or particularly advantageous / cost-effective. The summer
ANA shows will turn into a simple, long-weekend trip for us; drive there for
1-2 days and drive back. We'll have to pick our own destinations now if we
want to take a week of summer vacation and see a city/area. I GUESS we can
do that .

It will still be a great coin show with more dealers and coins than anywhere
else. Some of the excitement, for me, will be gone, though.

Nick
Old April 10th 10, 06:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"Nick Knight" wrote in message
[...]

It certainly does run counter to being a "national" organization.

My best guess would be that their financial problems motivated them to sign
a 3-year deal at a significant discount.

Either that, or someone at ANA is going to get sued for benefitting by
inking a sweetheart deal with the venue. ;-)

Old April 10th 10, 08:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Nick Knight wrote:
[...]

I can't speak to that specific question, but it is public knowledge that
once the 2010 Central States in Milwaukee is over, their next six are
scheduled for the Chicago area - 2011 in Rosemont and 2012 through 2016 at
the new convention center in Schaumburg IL (going from the ridiculous to the
sublime, IMHO). There are several reasons for that, but dealer friends tell
me that the Toddlin' Town is one of the best coin towns in the country.
Hope to meet up with you there one day, Nick, as I did several years ago.

James de Corleone

Old April 12th 10, 06:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Nick Knight wrote:
Did anyone notice the ANA press release announcing that they are
going to
have the summer ANA shows in Chicago permanently after the current
schedule
is complete (which includes one Chicago show anyway)? I haven't seen
any
comments, but perhaps we're too busy chit-chatting (or perhaps
only the
killfiled chit-chatters have commented??? .

Gosh, Nick plonked me (actually, I ended up having to go plonk myself, as
Nick assigned the dirty work to another rcc member, who subsequently refused
to do the job) and so he'll miss this post unless someone he hasn't yet
plonked quotes me and allows me to once again contaminate his inbox.

The latest number of the E-Sylum (Numismatic Bibliomania Society's online
newsletter) has a response by David Lange to the notion of keeping the ANA
convention in Chicago for several years coming up. Read it he

http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum_v13n15.html

James de Banished