PVC or not PVC? That is the question.

Old March 30th 10, 02:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

Default PVC or not PVC? That is the question.

This wasn't exactly a shining moment for me in coin photography. In
fact, I was blowing off a couple of shots of film using a very odd
combination of equipment. (Nikon F100, Ektar 100, a Pentax(!) 120mm
f/4 Macro, and a pair of supposedly daylight balanced fluorescents).
As a result, the color balance of these shots is a bit off:

http://wemightneedthat.biz/Coins/1853obv.jpg
http://wemightneedthat.biz/Coins/1853rev.jpg

That said, what about those spots on the back of this half-cent?
On the coin, they appear to just be dark spots, but on this
particularly shot, they look an awful lot like PVC. The coin is
currently housed in an old green label PCGS holder.

What says the jury?

--
Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
Its name is Public opinion. It is held in reverence. It settles

Old March 30th 10, 02:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Michael Benveniste wrote:
This wasn't exactly a shining moment for me in coin photography. In
fact, I was blowing off a couple of shots of film using a very odd
combination of equipment. (Nikon F100, Ektar 100, a Pentax(!) 120mm
f/4 Macro, and a pair of supposedly daylight balanced fluorescents).
As a result, the color balance of these shots is a bit off:

http://wemightneedthat.biz/Coins/1853obv.jpg
http://wemightneedthat.biz/Coins/1853rev.jpg

That said, what about those spots on the back of this half-cent?
On the coin, they appear to just be dark spots, but on this
particularly shot, they look an awful lot like PVC. The coin is
currently housed in an old green label PCGS holder.

What says the jury?

That type of corrosion can be caused by a number of things, PVC included.
I'd rather say that if it were PVC damage, it would be more evenly spread
over the surface, and on both sides. Does the coin appear greasy or slimy?
That's a dead giveaway for PVC damage, but PCGS certainly would have known
that refused to slab it.

Possibly someone sneezed or sputtered on the coin before it was slabbed, and
it took a while for the damage to appear. Regardless, it's sad for a nice
coin like that to suffer.

James

Old March 30th 10, 01:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter[_6_]

On Mar 29, 9:39*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
Michael Benveniste wrote:
[...]

James- Hide quoted text -

Does PCGS offer any guarantee for copper (or brass) coins? If they
do, I would be inclined to get whatever benefit they offer ASAP.

In my experience people that want to keep copper surface free from
corrosion use dry nitrogen.
Old March 30th 10, 02:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Michael Benveniste wrote:
[...]

Here is the text from the PCGS website:

"Because the color and surfaces of copper coins can change due to
environmental factors, PCGS does not guarantee the color of copper coins, or
the absence of copper spotting, for any PCGS graded copper coin graded or
sold after January 1, 2010."

James

Old March 30th 10, 07:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

"Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

That type of corrosion can be caused by a number of things, PVC included.
I'd rather say that if it were PVC damage, it would be more evenly spread
over the surface, and on both sides. Does the coin appear greasy or
slimy? That's a dead giveaway for PVC damage, but PCGS certainly would
have known that refused to slab it.

Thanks.

No slime, but then I couldn't see any slime on the 17-D dime I sent in to
ANACS a few years back either. But I'm a little surprised that PCGS
would have slabbed it with any corrosion, much less as an MS-64BN.
After all, it's a common date.

I guess I'll see what PCGS has to say in August, assuming they are
at the Boston ANA event. The only time I sent in a coin to PCGS for
a grading review it disappeared, so I'm not eager to try again.

Old March 30th 10, 08:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Phil DeMayo

http://wemightneedthat.biz/Coins/185...ns/1853rev.jpg

That said, what about those spots on the back of this half-cent?
On the coin, they appear to just be dark spots, but on this
particularly shot, they look an awful lot like PVC. *The coin is
currently housed in an old green label PCGS holder.

What says the jury?

--
Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
Its name is Public opinion. *It is held in reverence. *It settles
everything. *Some think it is the voice of God. -- Mark Twain

I think Mr. J may be right.

I'm sure that sometime during the course of your photographic career
you've been warned not to blow dust off of a lens. The reason is that
it is difficult to blow without spitting. Spit can be a problem for
lens coatings.

It can also be a problem for coins. Shortly before the coin was
slabbed, someone may have attempted to blow some dust off a the coin
and it was hit with spittle.
Old March 31st 10, 05:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

"Phil DeMayo" wrote:

I'm sure that sometime during the course of your photographic career
you've been warned not to blow dust off of a lens. The reason is that
it is difficult to blow without spitting. Spit can be a problem for
lens coatings.

Photographic career? I don't have a photographic career, I have
a money-draining hobby/addiction :-(.

Thanks for your opinion. If I remember correctly, an MS-64 copper
can have "noticeable spotting," and as long as it's not PVC, I guess
I can live with the assigned grade.

Old March 31st 10, 07:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Phil DeMayo

On Mar 31, 12:15 pm, "Michael Benveniste" wrote:

Photographic career? I don't have a photographic career, I have
a money-draining hobby/addiction :-(.

I fully understand. Last year I ebay'ed 6 Nikon bodies and 7 lenses.

I knew you were an advanced hobbyist and tried to come up with a
better term, but couldn't given the time constraints imposed by the
"rush" I was in while replying. I didn't want to insult you so I gave
you a new "career".

Old April 8th 10, 09:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
EricBabula[_2_]

On Mar 31, 1:09*pm, Phil DeMayo wrote:
On Mar 31, 12:15 pm, "Michael Benveniste" wrote:

Photographic career? *I don't have a photographic career, I have
a money-draining hobby/addiction :-(.

I fully understand. Last year I ebay'ed 6 Nikon bodies and 7 lenses.

I knew you were an advanced hobbyist and tried to come up with a
better term, but couldn't given the time constraints imposed by the
"rush" I was in while replying. I didn't want to insult you so I gave
you a new "career".

You could maybe call Michael a "Semi-professional Photographer". He
has had photographs published. If he has been paid, you might consider
him a "Professional Photographer". I'm using the term "Semi-
Professional" for myself, too, as some of my pics have been published,
not only online (by others, not just myself!), but in a couple hard
copy books, too. Ok, maybe I'm stretching / reaching / grasping, but I
like it and I'm sticking with it!!

One more R93 question [email protected] Juke Boxes 1 April 2nd 08 02:26 AM
XP Question (OT) pe2[_3_] Autographs 1 May 15th 07 07:30 PM
Order a Pair and they will change you and who knows what might happen maybe something that should have happened years ago dont question it just do it and then question it because nothing "happens" or "changes" until "we do something" David Goldstein Hockey 0 February 24th 05 03:14 PM
Question regarding eBay Ask Seller a Question James Higby Coins 4 November 21st 04 01:02 AM
Question (Please Help) ed kaseman Football (US) 0 June 6th 04 01:33 AM