Novice Questions

Old May 16th 09, 09:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Charles Mueller

Default Novice Questions

Hello. I have inherited a stamp collection and have some novice questions.
Dont know if this would be considered the proper forum for such. Would
appreciate an email from someone willing to "mentor" me a bit. Thanks. Chuck
Mueller,

Old May 17th 09, 07:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Ask away on this newsgroup Charles
we love novices, we can puff out our chest
and pretend we know about stamps

Seriously, anything is fair game here, be not afraid to ask a question
no how silly it may seem.
(I once asked about an Italian issue with the value of 2 "due"
thinking it was a postage due stamp)

Welcome to the newsgroup.
Rodney.

BTW if you simply want advice on how to dispose
of an inherited collection, please advise, we have standard replies for
those.

Old May 18th 09, 05:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

On May 16, 4:25*pm, "Charles Mueller" wrote:
Hello. I have inherited a stamp collection and have some novice questions..
Dont know if this would be considered the proper forum for such. Would
appreciate an email from someone willing to "mentor" me a bit. Thanks. Chuck
Mueller,

Hi Charles:

Welcome to the world of stamps.

The following online links, which I recommend, may shed
some light on your question.

I Inherited a Stamp Collection... by Leonard Piszkiewicz
http://www.usstamps.org/inherit.html

American Philatelic Society (APS) Question & Answer page
http://www.stamps.org/directories/dir_qna.htm

APS' Estate Advice
http://www.stamps.org/Services/ser_EstateAdvice.htm

Lloyd de Vries and the Virtual Stamp Club reference page
http://www.virtualstampclub.com/inherit.html

The eBay Chat Board "Have a Stamp Collection" page
http://pages.ebay.com/community/libr...amps-have.html

Good Luck in your information search. Please remember
that one option is to think about continuing the collection
yourself or passing it down to children or grandchildren
as a "family heirloom" from grandpa (even if NOT worth
a world cruise).

Stamp collecting is primarily about learning things
from stamps and having fun. You can't put a price on that.

Best wishes to you.

Blair
Ottawa, Canada
Old May 19th 09, 08:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Charles Mueller" wrote in message
Hello. I have inherited a stamp collection and have some novice questions.
Dont know if this would be considered the proper forum for such. Would
appreciate an email from someone willing to "mentor" me a bit. Thanks.
Chuck Mueller,

Welcome on board, Chuck!

Rodney and Blair already commented on the basic questions.

Just to mention that the very idea of this newsgroup is to make postal
stamps related information available to all its readers. Usually, one will
learn on this ng more then s/he expects :-)

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization:
http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old May 20th 09, 11:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Jay T. Carrigan[_2_]

Since you have inherited the collection, you may find this web site useful:
http://www.inheritedstampcollection.com/. Some of the information is a
bit dated and I disagree with the author on a few minor points, but overall
I rate it as a very useful resource.

Jay Carrigan See web sote for email address
www.jaypex.com

In article , says...

Old May 26th 09, 06:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_2_]

On May 16, 1:25*pm, "Charles Mueller" wrote:
Hello. I have inherited a stamp collection and have some novice questions..
Dont know if this would be considered the proper forum for such. Would
appreciate an email from someone willing to "mentor" me a bit. Thanks. Chuck
Mueller,

Hello Charles,

I gather from your email address that you are in the U.S.? An opening
piece of generic advice concerns the Scott Catalogue, which you may
have encountered if you enquired at your library. The minimum price
attached to a stamp is 15 cents. A very, very common error is to sum
all of these $0.15 values to determine a collective value for the low-
value stamps in the collection. Sadly, "15 cents" for these stamps
should be read "0 cents". Many would say "treat all values under $1
as zero" as well. And of the value of the remainder, expect to get,
maybe, 10% if you sell to a dealer, if you have regularly-encountered
stamps. Unless a collector has been extremely fastidious, fairly
wealthy, and collecting more than (say) 50 years ago, a stamp
collection sold is essentially sold as "scrap" and is likely to be
worth less than what was put into it. I would also agree that passing
the collection on intact, if at all possible, might be better: the
collection might be worth more as a memory of the deceased than as a
financial instrument.

I, for one, look forward to your questions. :^) As Rodney said, they
make us feel smart.

--
Joshua H. McGee
Sierra Madre, Los Angeles, California, USA
Old June 1st 09, 01:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Joshua McGee" wrote in message

I, for one, look forward to your questions. :^) As Rodney said, they
make us feel smart.

We got no further chances this time... Continuation rather on eBay? :-)

Old June 3rd 09, 10:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bill Sharpe

Joshua McGee wrote:
[...]

The Scott minimum value has been 20 cents for a few years now. Joshua's
point about most of these min value stamps being worthless as far as the
resale market is concerned still applies. But one can still put together
a nice-looking collection with minimum-value stamps.

If not interested in continuing the collecting or passing it on to a
relative who might be interested, Charles may want to donate the
collection to an appropriate agency such as Boys Town.

Bill