Do COINSTAR machines reject error coins?

Old December 2nd 10, 12:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
socraticquest

Default Do COINSTAR machines reject error coins?

Does COINSTAR reject all types of error coins?

RELATED: Does COINSTAR reject Indian Head Cents?

Thank-you
Old December 2nd 10, 03:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Dec 1, 6:53*pm, socraticquest wrote:
Does COINSTAR reject all types of error coins?

RELATED: Does COINSTAR reject Indian Head Cents?

Thank-you

Once in a great while, I use COINSTAR and these are my observations:

I gather that COINSTAR's reject function is mostly based on weight-
testing. A couple of saturdays back, I took some coins to COINSTAR
and before I started, I found a 1917 Mercury Dime in the reject slot.
It was relatively well-worn, and probably failed a weight test. If
memory serves, that coin was just shy of 2.4 grams (compared to 2.50
grams normal).

A COINSTAR machine will "eat" your clad Eisenhower Dollar and will NOT
give you credit for it. The machines do say "NO EISENHOWERS" when you
go through the instruction "screens" before starting to count. I for
one can't understand why the coin can't be spit back into the reject
tray.

I can't imagine why a COINSTAR machine would reject a bronze Indian
Head. There's nothing materially different from the early Lincoln
Wheats.

I've wondered whether or not COINSTAR makes any effort to separate 90%
silver from the rest of the take.

And indeed, I am enough of a dyed-in-the-wool coin-squirrel that I
always look at the reject tray (and the machine's little top work
area) when I walk by one of the COINSTAR machines. Besides the
Mercury dime, I got a nice Finland 1993 aluminum bronze earlier this
summer. Quite collectible.

oly

Old December 2nd 10, 03:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

"oly" wrote in message
[...]

_____________

I've never used COINSTAR. How do they pay out? Bills & coins? Voucher?

Old December 2nd 10, 04:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Dec 1, 9:44*pm, "Bremick" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

[...]

Mr. Remick, I thought about you (amongst others) while composing my
original response. COINSTAR takes a nice % haircut and you will
probably not care for them one bit.

If you want bills, you can get a printed voucher which you take to the
service desk of the establishment hosting the machine. Usually this
costs you 9% off the top, which is never specifically referred to in
an actual dollar cost (the machine just tells you your net amount).

If you will take a gift card, then they give you 100 cents on the
dollar and the corporations settle up between themselves. This cost
is also hidden, as presumably the retailers make a great deal on what
they eventually sell you.

A couple of times per year, I do my aluminum cans and COINSTAR all at
the same time. This used to result in enough $$$ to buy some kind of
collectible silver coin and a twelve pack of Busch Bavarian with the
proceeds. Nowadays silver is pricier.

oly

Old December 2nd 10, 02:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

"oly" wrote in message
On Dec 1, 9:44 pm, "Bremick" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

[...]

I'm flattered, I guess, or not. I did figure they took a percentage but
I didn't know it was as much as 9%. I think my BOA will handle a dump of
coins for free if you deposit the result. I've never had the occasion to do
that either. Each Christmas I give my wife all the coin change I have
accumulated during the year, usually hidden in a different type package each
time. She seems to enjoy counting and sorting and wrapping,
although she could easily take the hoard to the bank and let them do it.

If you want bills, you can get a printed voucher which you take to the
service desk of the establishment hosting the machine. Usually this
costs you 9% off the top, which is never specifically referred to in
an actual dollar cost (the machine just tells you your net amount).

If you will take a gift card, then they give you 100 cents on the
dollar and the corporations settle up between themselves. This cost
is also hidden, as presumably the retailers make a great deal on what
they eventually sell you.

A couple of times per year, I do my aluminum cans and COINSTAR all at
the same time. This used to result in enough $$$ to buy some kind of
collectible silver coin and a twelve pack of Busch Bavarian with the
proceeds. Nowadays silver is pricier.

I would accept Busch Bavarian at someone else's house, but I would not
let it in mine. My current vice is Genny Cream Ale at $14 per 30-
pack of cans. Some might equate this with BB, but to me it sure beats light
beer.

Old December 2nd 10, 03:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Beanie

"Bremick" wrote in message
A couple of times per year, I do my aluminum cans and COINSTAR all at
the same time. This used to result in enough $$$ to buy some kind of
collectible silver coin and a twelve pack of Busch Bavarian with the
proceeds. Nowadays silver is pricier.

I would accept Busch Bavarian at someone else's house, but I would not let
it in mine. My current vice is Genny Cream Ale at $14 per 30- pack of cans.
Some might equate this with BB, but to me it sure beats light beer.

Give me a 6 pack of Molson and nobody gets hurt...

Old December 2nd 10, 05:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Dec 2, 8:55*am, "Bremick" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

On Dec 1, 9:44 pm, "Bremick" wrote:

"oly" wrote in message

[...]

beer.- Hide quoted text -

I had been quite a fan of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in recent years, but
the full retail price has recently got up to almost $18 per twelve
pack. While I'm not a great economist (in the sense of saving money
nor any other sense of that word) by any means, Busch Bavarian at
nearly $10 cheaper per twelve pack has become relatively more
attractive recently.

But hey, nowadays, ten dollars will only buy you a decent Franklin
half dollar - ain't that a ****er!

Drink that Busch Beer and you'll never need to buy any drug-store
laxatives either!!!

oly
Old December 2nd 10, 09:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article , "Beanie" wrote:

"Bremick" wrote in message
A couple of times per year, I do my aluminum cans and COINSTAR all at
the same time. This used to result in enough $$$ to buy some kind of
collectible silver coin and a twelve pack of Busch Bavarian with the
proceeds. Nowadays silver is pricier.

I would accept Busch Bavarian at someone else's house, but I would not let

it in mine. My current vice is Genny Cream Ale at $14 per 30- pack of cans.
Some might equate this with BB, but to me it sure beats light beer.

Give me a 6 pack of Molson and nobody gets hurt...

give me a quart of stoly and everyone gets hurt.
Old December 2nd 10, 09:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Dec 2, 3:00*pm, ) wrote:
In article , "Beanie" wrote:

"Bremick" wrote in message
A couple of times per year, I do my aluminum cans and COINSTAR all at
the same time. *This used to result in enough $$$ to buy some kind of
collectible silver coin and a twelve pack of Busch Bavarian with the
proceeds. *Nowadays silver is pricier.

* *I would accept Busch Bavarian at someone else's house, but I would not let

it in mine. *My current vice is Genny Cream Ale at $14 per 30- pack of cans.
Some might equate this with BB, but to me it sure beats light beer.

Give me a 6 pack of Molson and nobody gets hurt...

give me a quart of stoly and everyone gets hurt.- Hide quoted text -

a screwdriver or bloody mary can take some of the edge off - just mix
in the juice liberally...

Make mine a beer however!

oly
Old December 3rd 10, 12:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Beanie

"Bremick" wrote in message
C'mon now. With the thousands of American beers now available, your choices
shouldn't have to be between Miller and Bud. If I were to buy you an American
beer of your choice............. well?

I'm easy to please and definitely old school, so I'll just take an ice cold
Miller High Life.