An edition of Ulysses??

Old April 5th 04, 04:40 PM
Art Layton

Default An edition of Ulysses??

"michael adams" wrote in message ...
"John A. Stovall" wrote in message
news
I'm thinking about getting a nice edition of _Ulysses_ for Bloomsday
reading (my old college copy is wearing out). Since I can not afford
one of the first 1000 any suggestions for editions in the 600-300
dollar range? It's looks like there are some Shakespeare and Company
11th printings in that range. Some of these appear to be rather
attractively rebound. But are there other editions and publisher I
should consider?

If you are just reading it, who not go to amazon and buy a new
paperback. The price today was $11.90.

Art Layton
Stamford CT
Old April 5th 04, 09:14 PM
Francis A. Miniter

You could not use one of the first 1000 anyways. They were printed on
acid paper and are very fragile.

Francis A. Miniter

John A. Stovall wrote:

I'm thinking about getting a nice edition of _Ulysses_ for Bloomsday
reading (my old college copy is wearing out). Since I can not afford
one of the first 1000 any suggestions for editions in the 600-300
dollar range? It's looks like there are some Shakespeare and Company
11th printings in that range. Some of these appear to be rather
attractively rebound. But are there other editions and publisher I
should consider? I'm even considering some of the more recent
illustrated editions.
************************************************* ******

"Les livres font les époques et les nations,
commes les époques et les nations font les livres."

_Mélanges littéraires_
Jean-Jacques Ampère
(1800-1864)

Old April 6th 04, 04:32 AM
Jerry Morris

(John=A0A.=A0Stovall) wrote:
I'm thinking about getting a nice edition of _Ulysses_ for Bloomsday
reading (my old college copy is wearing out). Since I can not afford one
of the first 1000 any suggestions for editions in the 600-300 dollar
range? It's looks like there are some Shakespeare and Company 11th
printings in that range. Some of these appear to be rather attractively
rebound. But are there other editions and publisher I should consider?
=A0 I'm even considering some of the more recent illustrated editions.

John,

Instead of buying a facsimile of the first edition, why not buy a
facsimile of the original manuscript?

In 1975, a three-volume facsimile edition of the original manuscript
acquired by A.S.W. Rosenbach at auction in 1924, was published by
Octagon Books, New York, and Bafer & Faber, London. Sets currently list
on abebooks from $175 to $739. It would be a little more cumbersome to
carry around, but, then again, you'd only be reading one volume at a
time anyway.

Here's some background info on the facsimile edition:
http://www.tinyurl.com/2brho

On a related note, I won an ebay auction today for the 1924 auction
catalogue (in five parts) of the John Quinn Sale, where Rosenbach
bought the Ulysses manuscript.

Jerry Morris

Welcome to Moi's Books About Books: http://www.tinyurl.com/hib7
My Sentimental Library http://www.picturetrail.com/mylibrary and
moislibrary.com http://www.tinyurl.com/hisn

Old April 6th 04, 02:15 PM
hollowayd

(Jerry Morris) wrote in message ...
(John A. Stovall) wrote:
[...]

Or course Joyce was furious that Rosenbach bought the manuscript so
cheaply and refused to sell it back to Joyce. Joyce wrote the
following limerick about the sale.

Rosy Brook he bought a book,
Though he didn't know how to spell it.
Such is the lure of literature
To the lad who can buy it and sell it.
Old April 7th 04, 02:56 PM
Gary Pfeifer

For what it's worth, The Folio Society came out with a new illustrated
printing of Ulysses in 1998. Should meet your requirements for a nice
edition, and for durability. Seems a popular book though, as, of
thirteeen copies available on ABE, all are priced above the original
issue price of $58.50. this is highly unusual, being typical of only a
few Folio Society books, which usually go at only about half their
original prices, at least on ebay. This Ulysses is rarely seen on ebay
though, but one has sold there at around $75 recently.

Gary Pfeifer

Old April 8th 04, 04:04 PM
Bob Riedel

Dover published a reproduction (innards only -- the covers are glossy photo
wraps) of the 1922 first edition in 2002 at $29.95. I enjoyed reading it.
Bob Riedel
Print Matters! Used & Rare Books
http://www.abebooks.com/home/printmat

Old April 9th 04, 12:44 PM
William M. Klimon

"hollowayd" wrote in message
om...

Or course Joyce was furious that Rosenbach bought the manuscript so
cheaply and refused to sell it back to Joyce. Joyce wrote the
following limerick about the sale.

Rosy Brook he bought a book,
Though he didn't know how to spell it.
Such is the lure of literature
To the lad who can buy it and sell it.

Of course, the irony is that, for all his faults, Rosenbach was highly
knowledgeable about English literature--he had a Ph.D. from the University
of Pennsylvania--and helped build the collections of the Folger and the
Huntington, among others.

William M. Klimon
http://www.catholicbookcollector.com