AFINSA and FORUM FILATELICO

Old February 28th 05, 08:20 PM
Jose M. G. Camara

Default AFINSA and FORUM FILATELICO

Hello.
It is the first time that I write in this forum. I am from Spain. I
donīt write english very well, so I hope pardon to me and You can
understand to me.

I am not seal collector like you, but I am going to make some
questions to yo, that I
have to me intrigued, to see if they can give opinion me.

You know FORUM FILATELICO and AFINSA? I suppose yes that, Afinsa
coverall. Both are also dedicated to the transaction of philatelic
values in Spain (in Portugal) and Afinsa has house of auction of
filatelia, numismatist and publishes catalogues.

Until there very well. What I suppose that they do not have knowledge
(outside Spain and
Portugal) it is that these societies dedicate themselves to formulate
plans of saving or investment directed to not-collectors.
In particular, its activity consists of selling lots of seals to
not-collectors with
the commitment to repurchase them to a determined term, that in the
short term it can give yields of the order of the 6 or 7
annual percents. Up to here, perfect. But what it intrigues to me it
is that they adjudge seals to value of
catalogue (Yvet ET Tellier. Domfil, etc).
And reason why I have read in this forum, the value of catalogue and
the value of market of seals differ
enough, and it worries to me.
I ask to you: You know this type investment, or seemed in its country
(USA, GB)? I do not have the news that FORUM FILATELICO and AFINSA
they make these activities outside Spain.
What think of this investment? Here in Spain they have been taking
formulating plans of investment
for 25 years, they have many clients (300.000 in this country) and
much inverted money.

I Would like to hear your impressions

Thanks.
Old March 1st 05, 05:52 PM
Jan Doggen

Hello Jose

Looks like a piramid scheme to me. Doesn't work and is illegal in many
countries.
The consensus among collectors is that investing in stamps only for the
money is unwise - better put your money in the bank against a nice interest
;-)

Bye
Jan

"Jose M. G. Camara" schreef in bericht
om...

Old March 1st 05, 10:42 PM
Rodney

I recall a scheme that a gentleman began in Britain some years ago
based on this idea, the firm collapsed with losses in the tens of thousands
IIRC, and he was duly convicted in court.
If I come across the article in the future, I shall post it.

There are some good books available on Investing in stamps,
I have one by Bill Hornage, the once editor of Australian Stamp News,
which offers sensible advice, on the better avenues of purchase.

Old March 2nd 05, 05:23 PM
derbyboi

The Afinsa model is, I think, risky. The problem is that they now own
some of the worlds largest stamp auction houses - Greg Manning and
Nutmeg in the US, John Bull in Hong Kong has just been acquired and I
think Corinphila in Switzerland is part of the Afinsa group. These
worldwide auctioneers are held by GMAI, an American Company (Greg
Manning Auctions Inc) which is listed on the US secondary market and
whose share price has been seen to yo-yo quite violently. I think
Afinsa have some sort of "art" investment going and to see their
corporate headquarters (or palace) they must be making a lot of
money......

Buying investment portfolios to make money is not, in my own humble
opinion, the way to enjoy our wonderful hobby and is fraught with
danger.

DB