A collecting forum. CollectingBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CollectingBanter forum » Collecting newsgroups » Juke Boxes
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Looking for a bit of advice..

Old October 30th 09, 12:51 AM

First recorded activity by CollectingBanter: Aug 2009
Default Looking for a bit of advice..

I've a Rock-Ola 468. It lives in my summerhouse at the bottom of our garden.
It lives in there as I reached a compromise with my wife when I bought it. It would not join my electric piano and two saxophones in the front room.
I’ve had it since April. It’s in pretty immaculate condition and seems to be working well, other that it appears to be set on one play per coin, it won’t give 7 plays if you put in 5 coins or whatever, you only get 5, but that really doesn’t bother me. I’ve had the grommets on the turntable changed and I bought a “mint” graphic at a bargain price as the original had faded a bit. So presently, I can’t fault it.

My concern is for the winter, here in the North-West of England we don’t get hard winters. We’ve not seen snow in years. The summerhouse is water-tight and mostly draught-free, but I’m still concerned about damp. There’s a fridge/freezer in there and it must chuck out a bit of heat, the felt roof of my summerhouse absorbs the heat from any sun so it always feels warm in there during the day. (I left the doors open during hot days in the summer as it got really hot in there).
I intend to carry on playing it a few times every week during the winter, just to keep it moving (it’s recently been used when I do a bit of gardening on a couple of days each week). I’ve one of those boxes of moisture absorbing crystals used in caravans in the bottom of the machine.
Should I suspend a 25watt lamp in it, timed to go on for a few hours during the night to produce a bit of heat, or am I being over cautious?

My second question is about the 12 inch speakers, they aren’t both the same, one is slightly different from the other, is one a replacement?. Would there be any advantage replacing both or would I be best leaving things as they are?

Thanks for any advice.

You can hear my jukebox on here. It's recorded on a little Lumix digital camera that does short videos with sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-VpK-pVAK8
Ads