Oh happy day, almost

Old November 3rd 08, 11:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

Default Oh happy day, almost

Yesterday I was using the computer to compile a list of stamps. I went
into a bit of detail making the list and was quite proud I had
finished my task.
I hit the save button and exactly 1/10 of a second later there was a
power interruption. Oh Happy day, God has smiled on me. I ran across
the street and bought a handfull of lottery tickets.
Well, I guess the smile was all I was entitled to. Story of my life.

Ralphael, the OLD one
Old November 3rd 08, 12:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Ralphael1" wrote in message
Yesterday I was using the computer to compile a list of stamps. I went
into a bit of detail making the list and was quite proud I had
finished my task.
I hit the save button and exactly 1/10 of a second later there was a
power interruption. Oh Happy day, God has smiled on me. I ran across
the street and bought a handfull of lottery tickets.
Well, I guess the smile was all I was entitled to. Story of my life.

Glad for you, Ralph.

The conclusion is that the Save button should be permanently ON (or, in
other words, that a database should be automatically saved after each
change, what actually happens to many of them).

At your SNAPO office we have an UPS that is permanently connected to the
electricity network, this because, as you know, the photovoltaic cells on
the roof are too often covered by sand.

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old November 3rd 08, 01:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

There are things called UPS's Ralph,
"uninterupted power supply"
They are dashed heavy, but ideal for peace of mind.
They give you time to save before shutting down
I pick them up for $5 at IT auctions.
Make sure the batteries hold a charge.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninter...e_power_supply

Old November 3rd 08, 07:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Hi Ralphael,

If you are using a MicroSoft Office product, WORD, EXCEL, ACCESS, then
you should be able to find a menu option that lets you create a
'backup' when you open the product. Also set the save time to a
shorter interval. It may be a little slower but you don't lose a
whole bunch. I am not sure about EXCEL and ACCESS, but on occasion I
have located the WORD temporary file that is left after a crash
( i.e.; power failure) and opened it and saved it. That method has
save me a few times.

Jerry B

Old November 3rd 08, 11:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On Nov 3, 3:56*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 11:01:39 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Hi Ralphael,

If you are using a MicroSoft Office product, WORD, EXCEL, ACCESS, then
you should be able to find a menu option that lets you create a
'backup' when you open the product. *Also set the save time to a
shorter interval. *It may be a little slower but you don't lose a
whole bunch. *I am not sure about EXCEL and ACCESS, but on occasion I
have located the WORD temporary file that is left after a crash
( i.e.; power failure) and opened it and saved it. *That method has
save me a few times.

Access does writes after moving from record to record. *Or, at least
it did. *While in the record, hit Esc undoes the current field and Esc
Esc undoes the current record. *Kind of neat. *I don't recall hearing
about a buffer that it dumps at certain periods, but rather small
blocks of data.

I have used Excel since the beginning. It is easy to use and does all
that I need it to do...however; I have two computers that I can't use
Excel. One is not on line and does not have a printer, therefore I
cannot change some of the settings in Excel. The other one does some
strange things with the worksheet. The third computer is an oldie that
works beautifully but does not have flash drive connection for my
storage thumb. Computers four and five are in a different location and
have no problems with Excel.
I tried google and it did nothing for me. Do you know any Excel
expert?

RtOo
Old November 3rd 08, 11:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

Not an expert, but I'll reply off-line. Might be dangerous enough to
help you out.
Old November 5th 08, 05:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_3_]

On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 18:58:41 -0500, spunky_doodles wrote:

I have used Excel since the beginning.

I tend to sum up the open source movement in software in a simple phrase:
"There's a choice: you can pay for crap, or you can get great stuff for
free."

OpenOffice clones M$ Office in almost all dimensions, making up for it by
introducing other features still absent in the commercial programs. It
runs almost anywhere. If you find a bug, it is fixed for free and almost
instantly. The suite is completely free: and by default IT SAVES COPIES
OF FILES AUTOMATICALLY and restores them automatically following a crash.

http://www.openoffice.org

--
Joshua H. McGee, Los Angeles, California, USA
Member: APS, ATA, ISWSC, AFDCS, MBPC, MCC, BPS
Old November 5th 08, 08:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 23:55:25 -0600, Joshua McGee
wrote:

On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 18:58:41 -0500, spunky_doodles wrote:

I have used Excel since the beginning.

I tend to sum up the open source movement in software in a simple phrase:
"There's a choice: you can pay for crap, or you can get great stuff for
free."

OpenOffice clones M$ Office in almost all dimensions, making up for it by
introducing other features still absent in the commercial programs. It
runs almost anywhere. If you find a bug, it is fixed for free and almost
instantly. The suite is completely free: and by default IT SAVES COPIES
OF FILES AUTOMATICALLY and restores them automatically following a crash.

http://www.openoffice.org

The saving of files is not an Open Office "exclusive". MS Office does
it also, but sometimes people need more than a robotic assistant to do
things - like using their noggin'.

I have to check Open Office to see if it can read a Lotus Word Pro
file. MS Office can't, natively.

I haven't checked out Open's database section out, but I have to tell
ya, Access was / is the cat's ______ for doing everything from quick
to EXTENSIVE database stuff without SQL Server overhead.

There seems to be a lot of people who poop on M$. Granted, there may
be a few shady deals in the past, but I'm sure that neither Apple nor
the *nix clan would suffice in today's business market.
Old November 5th 08, 10:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

I'd bring your attention to MSWorks for the quick database.
I can have a database up and running from squat in about 15 seconds.
It's a flat file format with 30,000 records
which serves stamp collecting just fine.

I throw all my excel files I am sent, into works.

I haven't checked out Open's database section out, but I have to tell
ya, Access was / is the cat's ______ for doing everything from quick
to EXTENSIVE database stuff without SQL Server overhead.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Holidays Ken Knapp Coins 3 December 24th 05 05:09 PM
Happy 4th! pe2 Autographs 1 July 4th 05 03:24 PM
very happy with this one 10/16/04 Barb Autographs 0 October 17th 04 01:57 AM
happy 4th to all Hockeygamers1 Hockey 0 July 4th 04 04:07 AM
Happy B-Day Sue! Gummby3 Autographs 1 May 15th 04 11:09 AM