Bleedtrough of FP ink on Moleskine notebooks

Old January 18th 05, 07:22 PM
Juhapekka Tolvanen

Default Bleedtrough of FP ink on Moleskine notebooks

Okay... I just bought my first Moleskine notebook. I bought it from
Suomalainen Kirjakauppa ("Finnish Bookshop") at Kauppakatu ("Trade
Street") here in city of Jyväskylä in a country called Finland. It is
model "Ruled Notebook" in size small (9*14 cm). I wrote some text on it
with my Parker Vector Stainless Steel fountain pen that has fine nib and
Parker Quink Permanent Blue ink on cartridge. I can see some of that
text from other side of paper, but I really don't find that phenomenon
disturbing.

But if you find that bleedtrough phenomenon disturbing, there is this
solution:

http://www.mikeshea.net/articles/001051.html

In the other words, buy Moleskine Sketchbook. It has a little bit
thicker paper (and therefore less pages) and it is available in both
small and big size. It has no rules or squares, though. HTH. HAND.

--
Juhapekka "naula" Tolvanen * http colon slash slash iki dot fi slash juhtolv
"sinun kauneutesi kaataa valtakuntia. minun pimeyteni raiskaa runoutta." CMX
Old January 18th 05, 09:16 PM
Arjen Raateland

Juhapekka Tolvanen wrote:
model "Ruled Notebook" in size small (9*14 cm). I wrote some text on it
with my Parker Vector Stainless Steel fountain pen that has fine nib and
Parker Quink Permanent Blue ink on cartridge. I can see some of that
text from other side of paper, but I really don't find that phenomenon
disturbing.

But if you find that bleedtrough phenomenon disturbing, there is this
solution:

Or use Noodler's Black ink. I find it doesn't bleed through the thinner
type of paper of many Moleskine notebooks even with the relatively wet
fine nib of a modern Sheaffer pen.

--
A.A.J. Raateland
Helsinki, Finland
Old January 19th 05, 08:04 PM
Scaupaug1

Juhapekka Tolvanen wrote:
model "Ruled Notebook" in size small (9*14 cm). I wrote some text on it
with my Parker Vector Stainless Steel fountain pen that has fine nib and
Parker Quink Permanent Blue ink on cartridge. I can see some of that
text from other side of paper, but I really don't find that phenomenon
disturbing.

But if you find that bleedtrough phenomenon disturbing, there is this
solution:

Or use Noodler's Black ink. I find it doesn't bleed through the thinner
type of paper of many Moleskine notebooks even with the relatively wet
fine nib of a modern Sheaffer pen.

Standard Noodler's Black won't bleed through - or even feather on more grades
of recycled papers than any other fountain pen ink worldwide. It writes on the
first two to three layers of cellulose fibers (which also means it is critical
to use safety check paper as recommended when writing checks, because without
safety check features an identity thief will simply scratch and rub out the
initial layers of the paper, re-write, press with wax - the thief can NOT do
this with safety paper as the number lines and security
imprints/backgrounds/water marks will all be noticeably disturbed - or with
very thin paper as the thief will scratch out a bunch of holes by the time he's
eliminated the ink). NEVER print checks from a printer - laser printer ink can
be altered with a lightbulb and simple magnet wand, and other printer inks can
be disolved away. Safety check paper can not even be photocopied...it's very
well designed and all for your well being! Use it!

Polar Black, in its initial production - was made to a great extent around the
requests of those that initially contacted the company to produce such an ink.
Scientists/researchers in the arctic wanted it (I kid you not) to not only
write at extremely cold temperatures...but to write on specific government
forms, triplicate carbon pink sheets, and THROUGH A LAYER 1/16th INCH THICK OF
FROSTED PAPER, and be SMEAR PROOF. Six of the testers using the prototype
have reported it can do so at temperatures beyond -40F. Nobody else has had
this phenomenon of frosting paper to test, however. Frost was then generated
at Noodler's here in Massachusetts using atomizer spraying in a contained area
at 0 degrees F. The Polar Black available for sale next week (the very first
freeze resistant ink ever produced in the history of the fountain pen) can
write through such frosted paper as the ink forms a line a fraction of a second
before the frost can be dissolved. So if you exhale near your paper at 40
below zero, you can still write on it despite the frost.
However, the lowest 5% of recycled grade paper will exhibit feathering at
+80F due to this property. If this is more of a concern to people than being
able to write through frost, let me know. It can be made as feather proof as
Noodler's Black, BUT it will not be able write through frosted paper if this is
done. So, concerning this trait...let the market's majority desire be known to
the company if you want there to be better inks for the cause of the fountain
pen.

The UPS man had his bic fail in the 8 degree weather yesterday. Polar Black
came to the rescue. No ball pen or roller ball can write in extreme cold.
Pencils fail on frosted paper. Polar Black works where they fail....and best
of all...it only works in a fountain pen. Ball pens be damned!
Old January 20th 05, 07:12 PM
Juhapekka Tolvanen

nky (Scaupaug1) writes:

No ball pen or roller ball can write in extreme cold.

You forgot a ball pen called Fisher Space Pen.

http://www.spacepen.com/

Old January 20th 05, 10:38 PM
Scaupaug1

Juhapekka Tolvanen wrote:
[...]

""
It fails the frost test completely. Use an atomizer of plain water over paper
at 0 degrees until reaching a 1/16th inch frost level, then try writing on
it....does not even get much more than a dot on the paper, far less a line. At
20 below zero it does not even get a dot on paper with frost effects. It still
also rinses out with simple alcohol and acetone too and is thus very dangerous
even on safety check paper vrs. identity thieves and check forgers.
Old January 21st 05, 04:54 AM
Free Citizen

"Scaupaug1" wrote in message

snip

Ball pens be damned!

Nathan,

You seem to have great contempt for ball points. What about Gels?

--
Best regards,
T-H Lim

Old January 21st 05, 05:58 AM
Scaupaug1

Ball pens be damned!

Nathan,

You seem to have great contempt for ball points. What about Gels?

The goal is to make the fountain pen more versatile and utilitarian for the
average user than any other form of writing instrument - to the extent that a
fountain pen becomes of greater value and thus desired more than any other.
One single fountain pen should have the inks to enable it to make any color in
any condition of any desired permanence....on any grade of paper specified.
Once that is done, then I might admire a gel or two. ;-) Until then, ball
pens are the enemy.

Fisher space pen in the freezer for 8 hours, failed to write over 6 five inch
strokes...at 27 degrees it needed 6 strokes to warm up the ball enough to
write. Polar Black in a Parker Frontier out of the same freezer...wrote right
away. Now, at 40 below do you want to keep rolling the ball to get it to
work....or do you want to write your note quickly and get those hands back in
your coat pockets?